Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. In dire need of help. so my car randomly will just not want to start. last month i started getting the esc and traction control light come on and i took it to the dealer and they said to change the spark plugs, air filter, and ignition coil. So i've done all of that and the lights are still on.

Yesterday I go to start my car and it would just click a lot and that's it. I tried to turn it off and on a few times and then it just stopped clicking. I tried to get a jump but even that would not work.

So today I purchased a brand new battery and still i'm having the same problem. I'm not sure if it's the starter or the clutch sensor. I took the trim off under the steering wheel trying to find that damn thing and i'm not having any luck. Please can anyone assist me with this.

Car is a 2008 with 60k miles

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
Welcome to the forum

it sounds like you have an electrical supply problem. The cars are computer controlled and when the voltage drops they give all kinds of strange false errors.

I assume you have installed the new battery. When you did, how did the battery cables look? They need to be clean and free from any corrousion.

Next check the engine ground. Its on the left front top of the head. They get corrousion and stop grounding which can cause all kinds of problems.

Asking the obvious did you check the fuses and relays? there are some under the passanger's foot well and inside the fuse box under the hood on the right side. In some instances, even a fuse that has not failed may have lost connectivity enough so its necessary to pull it out and re seat it to get it connecting again.

You have a 2008 and jumped it. there is something around here about jumping an 08 that can result in problems that require reprogramming some of the on board systems. I am sure TS or Dave can enlighten us on that score.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

So far i've checked all the fuses passenger seat and in the tray under the hood. Currently all the readings like tire pressure,oil, miles and everything else are showing 0.

When I changed the battery i did notice corrosion on both cables but i cleaned them both thoroughly with a wire brush. I'll go check the engine ground now.

Also does anyone have a guess as to why it would click at first and now it won't do anything at all?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Poor ground connection that got worse could cause the initial "click" and then nothing.

As for the clutch sensor - you have a manual with traction control?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Poor ground connection that got worse could cause the initial "click" and then nothing.

As for the clutch sensor - you have a manual with traction control?
Yes. I just checked the grounds and they seem to be fine. when i turn the key on everything works in the car but when i go to start it everything shuts off. I'm assuming it must be the starter?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you think it is a starter here is a little trick. The clicking sound might be the selnoid on the starter trying to engage. The starter might have a bad spot. Jack up the car have a very trusting friend try to crank the car while you hit the starter with a hammer. Don't hit it hard enough to break but love taps won't do. You are hitting the case to get the brushes to make contact. While you are hitting and it tries to start. Means you have a bad starter.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes. I just checked the grounds and they seem to be fine. when i turn the key on everything works in the car but when i go to start it everything shuts off. I'm assuming it must be the starter?
Did you actually pull on the ground wire to check material condition or just a visual inspection? I had the ground on the engine block go bad as it was only attached to the terminal lug with a few strands of wire. I had some of the same symptoms as you at the time. I ended up buying a gold plated terminal lug and crimping it on to replace the OEM one. I haven't had a problem since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts