Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A question for Small Dealer or any of you knowledgeable forum posters.

Should I buy from my small town dealer (who's only been allocated 1 Sol so far, and it's long gone), or go to the big city and find a dealer who may be getting more Sols allocated?

I'm already #4 on the local list here, and he won't divulge when he might get another allocation (probably doesn't know, or doesn't want me to know it's going to be 4-6 months, and for me to drive to the city).

·
Registered
576 Posts
It is impossible to tell where allocations may be just using size as the governing factor. Use the Pontiac web site and call all the dealers you are willing to travel to. Find out how many they were allocated and how many people they have orders for. Then buy from the dealer most likely to have one available soon. There are flaws in this strategy, but it is the best one I know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SolLate said:
It is impossible to tell where allocations may be just using size as the governing factor. Use the Pontiac web site and call all the dealers you are willing to travel to. Find out how many they were allocated and how many people they have orders for. Then buy from the dealer most likely to have one available soon. There are flaws in this strategy, but it is the best one I know.
I remember reading that part of the allocation formula was a variable indicating how many sports cars that particular dealer had sold in the past. In that case, the big city dealers are always going to outsell my little local dealer. However, I suppose in the city they probable have longer lists of potential buyers, so even if there are more cars shipped to that dealer, I'd still end up waiting the same amount of time or longer.

·
5,641 Posts
Gotta go were the cars are. Bigger dealerships have higher allocations but also attract more buyers. So have to keep asking questions about allocations and current wait lists. Probably still a month or so away from dealers getting info on any alloaction past the Estimate First Four Month numbers that have been out since April.

So no easy answer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I chose to go to a small dealer because the big dealer wanted $1,500 over MSRP and the small dealer was willing to work with me, at least when I ordered the car. I'm hoping when I pick up the car, I will get a fair price for the car since I didn't get it in writing but I'm expecting them to honor their word.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tigerman said:
I'm hoping when I pick up the car, I will get a fair price for the car since I didn't get it in writing but I'm expecting them to honor their word.
Please tell me your kidding. Why would you not do yourself a favor and go down to the dealer and get a written, signed sales contract, Any respectable dealer would be happy to do that for you and you will sleep better at night. If the dealer wont do that, I would consider going elsewhere. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small Dealer said:
Gotta go were the cars are. Bigger dealerships have higher allocations but also attract more buyers. So have to keep asking questions about allocations and current wait lists. Probably still a month or so away from dealers getting info on any alloaction past the Estimate First Four Month numbers that have been out since April.

So no easy answer.
Thanks Small Dealer.

Keep us posted on when the dealers will get their new allocations and then I can start looking around for the best local dealer with the shortest wait time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have 4 or 5 dealers within 30 minutes of each other and one is a tiny dealer. I've visited 2 (trying to get hardcopies of literature) and been told that one is for sure staying with MSRP...for now anyway...

If they don't work out, I can always drive the 45 minutes to Santa Barbara or L.A...I'm smack in the middle of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts