Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a month or so ago on this, but I am still having some issues with my car.

1. There is still white smoke coming from the back of the car under hard acceleration.

2. Idle speed is high. Cruising up to a stop light, the idle will initially dip below 1500, then raise back up to nearly 2000. It will sit there for at least 30-45 seconds before dropping down to about 1500. It's idling so high, I can actually leave the car in 1st gear and drive without touching the gas.

Are these tuning issues? I may try to hook up the tuning cable and get an engine read to send to Vince at Trifecta. I'm worried I may be burning a lot of oil. I'm going to check oil levels as well.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should actually be talking to Dave at DDM. Mine does the high idle occaisionally as well.
I sent a pretty detailed email to him and Vince at Trifecta.

I had four active codes showing up.

P0068 - Throttle Body Airflow Performance (PCM)
P0107 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
P0507 - Idle Speed High

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had this issue not to long ago, i realised that the little rubber cap on the pipe leading to the intake manifold was cracked and more air was going in. Check to see if that little rubber cap just past the MAF sensor is not cracked.
Let me know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had this issue not to long ago, i realised that the little rubber cap on the pipe leading to the intake manifold was cracked and more air was going in. Check to see if that little rubber cap just past the MAF sensor is not cracked.
Let me know how it goes.
I just checked it out. Looks like it has a little bit of cracking going on, from age I presume. I took some of my RTV sealant and sealed the inside and outside of the cap to see if that works. I'll report back after it dries and I can get a test drive in. Thanks for the help! I hope it works. :)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You sir, are awesome. Thank you!

As I said in the other post; I sealed the cap with RTV sealant. Started it up and took a friend for a drive around the countryside and wow! Pulls harder, no smoke, sounds better, CEL went off after a few minutes. Still idles high, but man, what a difference a stupid little rubber cap makes. Who knew?!? lol...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Glad i could help, the high idling RPM should have gone down.
Like i said i had the same issue and once the leak was fixed it went back to normal.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Thanks to all of the other supercharger owners that helped out before I could even answer his email!

You guys are great!

Thanks again and let me know if there is anything else I can answer.
Dave

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all of the other supercharger owners that helped out before I could even answer his email!

You guys are great!

Thanks again and let me know if there is anything else I can answer.
Dave
Yeah, they nailed it. Even the idle has gone down. Car is running SOOO much better. I love it! :D

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the rubber cap in question.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can someone post a picture of the rubber cap in question.
Thanks
The cap is blue in the picture. It's now blue because of the RTV sealant I put on it. I'll go over it later with a marker. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmmm...mine doesn't have that cap??? What's it for?

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Hmmm...mine doesn't have that cap??? What's it for?
Some of the tubes have the nipple coming off of the tube and some do not. The Stage 1 through Stage 3 share the same MAF tube with out kits. The Stage 1 supercharger kits use that nipple for the breather off of the valve cover and on the Stage 2 and 3 kits it is not used. Depending on when a particular kit was built there may or may not be a nipple there to cap off.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's been a few months, and I'm still seeing with the check engine light coming on, and white smoke coming out the exhaust under hard acceleration. Here's the latest update.

a. I have been using 91 octane since the install. I recently didn't have the choice and put in 89 octane. Immediately, the CEL went off, and the car went back to running smoothly. I drove it around all day, and decided to fuel up the next day using only 89. Still no CEL, but upon going over a railroad track later in the day, the CEL came on again. Now I'm just not sure. It seems to be running smoother, but with a tiny bit less power. There also has been no high idle issues, when there was using 91 or higher.

b. I have also been hearing an occasional metallic sound under slight acceleration. I have heard it before when my cat went bad on my pickup several years ago. Could this perhaps be the cause of the high idle/smoke? A potential clogged cat that frees up occasionally at random? i.e. driving over a railroad track?

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Well, it's been a few months, and I'm still seeing with the check engine light coming on, and white smoke coming out the exhaust under hard acceleration. Here's the latest update.

a. I have been using 91 octane since the install. I recently didn't have the choice and put in 89 octane. Immediately, the CEL went off, and the car went back to running smoothly. I drove it around all day, and decided to fuel up the next day using only 89. Still no CEL, but upon going over a railroad track later in the day, the CEL came on again. Now I'm just not sure. It seems to be running smoother, but with a tiny bit less power. There also has been no high idle issues, when there was using 91 or higher.

b. I have also been hearing an occasional metallic sound under slight acceleration. I have heard it before when my cat went bad on my pickup several years ago. Could this perhaps be the cause of the high idle/smoke? A potential clogged cat that frees up occasionally at random? i.e. driving over a railroad track?
Have you had the code read? That would help determine what it might be.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you had the code read? That would help determine what it might be.
P0128 - Coolant thermostat below thermostat regulating temperature.

P0507 - Idle Speed High

The coolant code is most likely because I may have a thermostat going bad, as discussed in a different thread.

The idle speed is something that has happened consistently while running 91 octane, but not the 89.

·
Registered
220 Posts
P0128 - Coolant thermostat below thermostat regulating temperature.

P0507 - Idle Speed High

The coolant code is most likely because I may have a thermostat going bad, as discussed in a different thread.

The idle speed is something that has happened consistently while running 91 octane, but not the 89.
P0128 code

P0507 code

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been running 89 Octane for a month or so. Seemed to be running better. Still occasional smoke, and high idle.

Completely took off all intake pipes and re-fitted them. Got them much better aligned. Seemed to make the engine run smoother. Put back in the 91 today and saw a little bit of smoke, not much though. Only under hard accel. Still smoother than before. Really pulls hard. Still high idle though. So, I read back on some posts on here about and idle re-learn. Took out fuses 42-43 and replaced, started up and it instantly had better throttle response. Revs faster. Still didn't really seem to fix the idle issue though. It still idled high after pulling up to a light, but after time it went down. Pulled into garage and it wouldn't go down till I released the clutch with it in gear just a little so to drop the revs. After that they stayed down. Still need to drive it longer distance to be sure that the re-learn process worked.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This may be a long shot but there may be the possibility that your intercooler has a crack in it which would cause a leak in the system (similar to cap problem on your intercooler piping) which would cause an erratic idle. Not sure how you could check it other than perhaps pulling it out of the car and giving it a good visual inspection for cracks or damaged fins. Another thought would be to somehow cap off both inlet and outlet and somehow rig up a tire valve (or other means) to pressurize the intercooler with air and then submerging it into a large tank (bathtub) of water...sort of the way you would check to see if a tire is leaking air on a wheel...or perhaps filling the intercooler with water to see if it leaks somewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts