Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has, or can do, or knows someone who can do a special tune to pass the California emissions test with a high flow cat installed. My friend has on his '08 GXP a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, a Solo high-flow cat (and a Hahn intercooler if that makes any difference).

My friend will have to have an emissions test for registration renewal this summer. A new tune that make the car CARB compliant seems easier and less expensive than the effort to change out the high-flow cat to run the test, and changing it back again afterward, which is about a $200 operation.

Just wondering, trying to help out a friend. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Check with Solo they should tell you if the cat is CARB compliant the exhaust should be as MagnaFlow made the exhaust systems that G.M. sold through the dealerships the intercooler should not be an issue. .I have some friends who live out on the west coast and I know they are picky with this stuff but their cars are modified and they pass

·
Registered
395 Posts
If it doesn't throw a code, you should be ok.

Hello California folks,

To some of you, this might be of any concern, but I am just posting this for your information only.
AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.
Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.
AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.

AB 2289 - Makes changes to the following smog inspection procedures and guidelines:
A. Authorize the use of On Board Diagnostic II testing to expedite the process.

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

C. Stricter fines structure for improper inspections.

D. Permit the state to contract with the private sector to manage franchise-like networks of independently owned Smog Check stations.
E. Encourage community colleges and other training institutions to develop technician-training programs.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If your in cali your going to have to find someone to pass it or switch the cat. I have to switch my cat pass smog, then switch it for my hollow cat after.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Technically only the "stock" cat is legal. Take your car to a test only station and make sure you have your stock tune in, GMPP or not, and you should be OK. To be safer make sure your car is nice and warmed up. The main thing to worry about is the visual inspection. Good luck to your "friend".

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Technically only the "stock" cat is legal. .
IIRC you were limited to stock CAT for the first year or something and then after that it just became a replacement part thing and anything goes as long as it doesn't cause a code.

About time someone did some times or a dyno comparing a high flow CAT with a bypass pipe. I doubt you lose enough to be bothered changing out.

·
Registered
398 Posts
IIRC you were limited to stock CAT for the first year or something and then after that it just became a replacement part thing and anything goes as long as it doesn't cause a code.

About time someone did some times or a dyno comparing a high flow CAT with a bypass pipe. I doubt you lose enough to be bothered changing out.
In California only the stock cat is legal, were both in California.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 07 GXP with the high flow cat from Solo passed cali smog. Just change the oil make sure the air filter is clean and the spark plugs

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I all they are doing is looking into the OBDII port for codes then it should pass if you do not have any of the codes set.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
For the OBD II you not only have to have no codes set, all the codes, have to be ready. In other words, if you reset a code before driving to the inspection, you're gonna fail.

Here's a generic document from NY talking about what to do if your car's "not ready". They use the OBD II testing as well.

http://dmv.ny.gov/sites/default/files/legacy_files/broch/c114.pdf

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Only if you reset it prior to the test.
If you have had the car for a while and no codes havie been set then it should pass.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
That's why it's nice to have an OBD II code reader of some sort. A reader that will tell you that all your emissions codes are ready.

It can sometimes take several hundred miles for certain codes to become ready.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Just remember if you don't pass there going to bug you again next year for a smog check. Happened to me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My 07 GXP with the high flow cat from Solo passed cali smog. Just change the oil make sure the air filter is clean and the spark plugs
My understanding is that both Werks and Solo designed theirs to be high flow, but still pass emission testing. If not, then I'll find out this October when mine comes up for renewal and testing.
Just remember if you don't pass there going to bug you again next year for a smog check. Happened to me.
What?? If you don't pass, they won't give you your new tag. Also, "they're" not "there" :D

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,734 Posts
I all they are doing is looking into the OBDII port for codes then it should pass if you do not have any of the codes set.
Cali does a visual inspection too. If anything looks non-stock, you better have docs to say it's CARB compliant.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Cali does a visual inspection too. If anything looks non-stock, you better have docs to say it's CARB compliant.
The only one that seems to look stock is Solo's. Werks has their name emblazed across the side, can't miss that. Then again, I've yet to see any inspector crawl under a Sky, so at best he looks' down the side of the it (cat). He probably checks to make sure there's a cat and goes on to the next step of the test.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you don't pass, you still have to fix the problem to make it pass, And they'll still bug you the next year to smog again. I failed the first time cause of a carb sticker I needed on my aem intake got it then they gave me a pass 2012, had to smog again at the end of 2013...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi there!

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.
How on Earth does one reach that conclusion? How is making the testing faster for cars that are already being tested equate to taking 800k older cars off of the road?

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi there!

How on Earth does one reach that conclusion? How is making the testing faster for cars that are already being tested equate to taking 800k older cars off of the road?
JW, it might be explained by the medical anatomical consideration that (in my opinion) Mary Nichols, like each of the politicians who support her and allow her to stay in office to wield her Nazi gestapo-like power, has only two moving parts - a mouth and an anus, which are mutually interchangeable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts