Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since yesterday was our last day on the East coast (moving to California), and we had already checked out of our miliitary housing, but couldn't leave the area yet, we had some time to kill... naturally, we drove up to the plant.

I fully intended to grovel shamelessly for a plant tour, but I couldn't even get past the front guard shack/office. I even tried telling them my sob story and playing the military/patriot card (I feel like scum for that one). They wouldn't budge :( We did spot the first Solstice we've seen actually in motion on the way down Boxwood road though. That was pretty exciting! And it got better from there.

We decided to just sit over by the mini storage lot gate next to the fenceline closest to where all the Solstice(s) are parked and see what we could see. We were there in the early afternoon, and there was quite a bit of activity. There were approximately 20 personnel walking around the cars inspecting them and discussing them. There were also several driving around the lots inside the fenceline. They weren't really driving them very hard at all, so I couldn't make any real observations as to how it appears to handle or how they sound. They seemed pretty quiet, but I don't think I heard even half throttle. They also seemed to corner very flat and not dive under braking, but again they weren't exactly driving them hard.

We did spot another observer along the same road, and while we were sitting there, another car pulled up next to him. The two gentlemen were out of their cars gesturing toward the plant as my wife and I drove by on the way back home. Curiosity got the best of me, and I stopped to talk to them, thinking they might just be forum members. Alas, when I mentioned Solsticeforum to them, all I got were blank stares. I felt like a goober. It turns out, though, that they work for an independant company that GM has hired to look the cars over before they ship... called themselves "quality inspectors" or something. I won't disclose their names or the name of the company to protect the innocent... OK, really I forgot their names. They said they've been calling inside the plant and contacting Allied (the shipping contractor) trying to get a timeline for when they can do their jobs and had been getting vague answers. After hearing that and seeing them sitting in the same place I was, I knew there was no hope of getting a plant tour!

Hopefully everything I just typed makes some sort of sense. I'm currently sitting at my In-Laws' house in St. Louis, MO bleary-eyed from a 13-hour drive with my wife, two kids and dog. Wanted to pass on the info before it got hazy (too late, apparently). :yawn: :willy:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Very cool little story 2kwk! It seems as though the release is gonna be right around the corner with them having inspectors and stuff. I hope all goes well and we get them sooner than later! Thanks for the details. :thumbs:

·
Registered
229 Posts
shame you couldn't get a tour, I would have loved to have heard about that. I think the corvette plant is the only one that really gives tours. I work at a stamping plant, and we only give tours about every 4-5 years.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm glad they're taking the inspections seriously, the worst thing that could happen is 3 months down the line our drivetrains fall to the ground :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I'm glad they're taking the inspections seriously, the worst thing that could happen is 3 months down the line our drivetrains fall to the ground :)
...it could be worse... they could Fiero...errr.... explode and kill us.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
They really can't have people on the grounds, that's a no no. Glad you got to see some action before your trip west. Good luck 2KWK4U, we'll talk when you get out to CAL (hope we have solstice shipments by then :willy: ).

·
Registered
3 Posts
deacon said:
shame you couldn't get a tour, I would have loved to have heard about that. I think the corvette plant is the only one that really gives tours. I work at a stamping plant, and we only give tours about every 4-5 years.
Most plants have a yearly open house to the public. If you know the right person inside (usually a public relations officer) you can get private tours. I organized a private tour of the local GM foundry for a group of engineering students from my college. It was pretty much all-access, sans the furnace area. We got to crawl over some of the cars they had on display and got a take a peek at some skunk works kinda stuff they had going on (It was the V-10 engine GM was working on, unfortunatly I think the porgram was scrapped :( )

Three plants I want to tour now:
Bowling Green Assembly (Corvette/XRL)
Wixom engine plant (new engine plant, everything is handbuilt there)
Elizabethtown, Aust (go see where my baby came from :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Appreciate your humor (even after a 13-hr. road trip with child and a dog, impressive)

Thanks for the great INSIDER info.

I live in California. Where are they sending you?

PS THANKS FOR SERVING THIS GREAT COUNTRY SIR

Susie and Ray
Oxnard, CA.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GOTTAHAVEPURE said:
Appreciate your humor (even after a 13-hr. road trip with child and a dog, impressive)

Thanks for the great INSIDER info.

I live in California. Where are they sending you?

PS THANKS FOR SERVING THIS GREAT COUNTRY SIR

Susie and Ray
Oxnard, CA.
I'm headed for a 10-month tour in Monterey... I know - hardship tour. Wish I could stay longer. Sure will be nice to have a convertible out there. We can't wait! (well, guess we HAVE to... but not much longer now!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts