Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dealer in the San Diego area (Miramar Pontiac) keeps having people back out of their orders. The cars are on the lot ready to go. They called me to try to get me to buy the car which I would of done in a heart beat. The only problem is they are adding a $5000 addendum to the price of the car. I told him to take a hike and he laughed saying that it was my loss and I would never get one at MSRP from any dealer. Beware!!!! The sad part is people are actually paying the extra money for the car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
why is it sad that people are paying more? its their money not yours, and if they want one now it may be worth it to them. i personaly have always said that i am waiting untill i can get one at msrp.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Supply and Demand.......

Sad part is, people in California will pay $5,000 above MSRP. Has happened on all the other hot new cars of previous years (Audi TT, Mini Cooper, etc....) :cuss:

·
Registered
576 Posts
ntouched said:
Sad part is, people in California will pay $5,000 above MSRP. Has happened on all the other hot new cars of previous years (Audi TT, Mini Cooper, etc....) :cuss:

The sad part is I have posted several cars at MSRP or $1K over in So Cal they could have purchased because someone backed out. The Dealer in San Bernardino seems happy to sell them at MSRP.

·
Registered
854 Posts
whats sad is the dealers lobbied Congress to stop manufacturers from selling direct to the public like other countries. I thought it was refreshing in Tokyo when you walk in off the street to a dealership, you are dealing directly with Nissan / Toyota, not some bottom feeding middleman who offers no value to the transaction.

whats even sadder is the people Pontiac targetted this car at advertise MSRP 19,995 incls destination, and they walk into the dealership only to find out they are going to be paying closer to 30k. Long term Pontiac is better off having dealers stick to their MSRP.

US Consumers routinely rate their dealership new car buying experience as awful. Few companies like Saturn and Lexus make the buying experience enjoyable and that type of treatment will reward car makers in the long run.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
tednelson83 said:
why is it sad that people are paying more? ...
I'll tell you why its sad - everytime someone pays MSRP+, it drives the market up. Making good dealers (that understand this speculative buying is only short term :yesnod: ) look like saps. The MSRP+ dealers make short term money - but end up pissing off a lot of people and turning potential Pontiac fans away from the brand - long term!

GM / Pontiac understands these facts - which is why the have URGED their dealers to sell at MSRP :nono: . We've already seen a number of forum members who paid $3k+ and already have buyers remorse.

How many people that waited 6-months and paid a $3-5k premium today are going to feel good about it a year from now if you can pick one up on a lot for MSRP?

·
Registered
275 Posts
". I thought it was refreshing in Tokyo when you walk in off the street to a dealership, you are dealing directly with Nissan / Toyota, not some bottom feeding middleman who offers no value to the transaction."
The consumer gains nothing by dealing with a factory. The factory wants to ensure that there isn't a dealership more interested in helping their customers than in helping the factory. They also have no magic way to rent a building and hire salesmen and mechanics without cost to the buyer. It's going to be the same overhead costs, regardless. Of course, buying a car in Tokyo is hardly the joyous pleasure you seem to imagine. First , you have to prove that you have a parking space for the car, then you need to show ... etc. etc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If that dealer is asking $5K, he's beyond the market prices, which have
softened somewhat, judging by EBAY. The current over MSRP prices seem to be running about $2-4K.

·
5,641 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
US Consumers routinely rate their dealership new car buying experience as awful.
In fact in the latest Harris Interative New Car Buyers Poll as part of the Automotive Retailing Today Project done in June-July of 2004, 75% of the people said that in general the new car purchasing experience is positive today. 81% said their own buying experience was positive. 91% where satisfied with the dealership they purchased from.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...yes, but

I got mine at MSRP. Of course I had to wait six months for it.
:cool:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Small Dealer said:
In fact in the latest Harris Interative New Car Buyers Poll as part of the Automotive Retailing Today Project done in June-July of 2004, 75% of the people said that in general the new car purchasing experience is positive today. 81% said their own buying experience was positive. 91% where satisfied with the dealership they purchased from.
Thats the complete opposite of the polls I read on ClarkHoward.com.

·
4,592 Posts
Ahhhh, california Real Estate Equity, it props up the global economy...for now.... :brentil:

·
5,641 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
Thats the complete opposite of the polls I read on ClarkHoward.com.

No its not. Can find it from that site. Just have to work at it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i'm waiting

Until I can get a dealer ot honor my GM Family Discount, I'm not buying one out of principle.

I don't need the car, and I have patience.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...good luck with that

GHM73 said:
Until I can get a dealer ot honor my GM Family Discount, I'm not buying one out of principle.

I don't need the car, and I have patience.
The car seems to be growing in popularity. I'm just glad I was able to get it at MSRP, and that MSRP is probably at the lowest it's ever going to be.
:cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Demand WILL die down, and you will see them on lots, waiting to be bought... eventually. Probably not till at LEAST this time next year. They WILL also honor the GMS price.. eventually.

Like I said, I can wait.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
GHM73 said:
Demand WILL die down, and you will see them on lots, waiting to be bought... eventually. Probably not till at LEAST this time next year. They WILL also honor the GMS price.. eventually.

Like I said, I can wait.
I think it will be much longer than that. There are already dealers that have accepted orders that fall into next years allocation.

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
I think it will be much longer than that. There are already dealers that have accepted orders that fall into next years allocation.
True, but we've already seen buyers that were lined up drop out. Remember, this car has inconveniences that may not play well with the general popuplation. Then again, it is a small number being produced. We'll have to wait and see, but I believe they will be available on lots next year (if they can eventually produce them in a timely fashion :brentil: )

1 - 20 of 31 Posts