Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far my only squawk about my car is a design issue as opposed to a driveability issue. No matter what position I put the steering wheel in, up, down or in-between some portion of the speedo, tach and full guage are obscured by it. It doesn't seem to help either trying to adjust my seat a little more forward or back.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
OZ40 said:
So far my only squawk about my car is a design issue as opposed to a driveability issue. No matter what position I put the steering wheel in, up, down or in-between some portion of the speedo, tach and full guage are obscured by it. It doesn't seem to help either trying to adjust my seat a little more forward or back.
My husband had the problem also.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Is it a problem with the positioning, angle, or depth of the gauges? ... or something else? :confused:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a design thing,

It's a design thing. I'm average height 6' give or take an inch and no matter how I sit or position myself or the steering wheel some part of the instrument cluster is obscured because the steering wheel is in your sight line of the gauges..

·
Registered
670 Posts
Gauges?

We don't need no stinkin gauges! When your hair starts to knot you are going fast enough! :cool:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have a haircut similar to the one worn by MSG McKee. If it starts to tangle, there is something REALLY wrong! ;) :cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know

I know, I know but I still like to look down and see my speed when I see the local constabulary out with his radar powered camera. That line of thinking does remind me of a scene from a movie I once saw. It may have been "It's a Mad, Mad World". On a cross global road rally an Italian man takes over the driving for his team and as he hops into the roadster says something to the effect of "the first rule of Italian driving is you never worry about what's behind you", with that he rips out the rear view mirror and tosses it out of the car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is a very common problem for me with most GM products I just pust it down to my build. I have had 1/2 ton allero cutlas and ao few others all the same problem some a little worse than others.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Really? I also complain about this with most every car, but I thought the Sol was pretty damn good in this respect. As a matter of fact I thought this was one of the things I liked about GM. Wait, is this problem when you tilt the steering all the way down or all the way up like a bus?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
OZ40 said:
It's a design thing. I'm average height 6' give or take an inch and no matter how I sit or position myself or the steering wheel some part of the instrument cluster is obscured because the steering wheel is in your sight line of the gauges..
The problem is 6' is not average height. The average American male is 5'8"-5'10" tall. So you'll find most vehicles are designed around the average male and femal height for optimal viewing. Once you go above and below those values you have issues a lot of times. I'm actually really impressed with the Solstice wheel/guages becuse I can see the entire thing when I put the wheel all the way up. Which is very rare for me.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I'm 5'7, and as soon as I ever get a chance to sit in a Solstice, I will be sure to let you know if I can see them. :lol:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm 6', pretty evenly divided and when I sat in the Sol on Saturday, everything worked well for me. View out the windows was good and no problem with the guages, either. I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
175 Posts
brentil said:
The problem is 6' is not average height. The average American male is 5'8"-5'10" tall.
Where in the world did you come up with that stat?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe they should add a HUD option?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm 6' even and don't have any problem seeing all the guages through the wheel. I have my wheel in the all the way up position. Maybe there is something wrong with your tilt wheel and it doesn't go all the way up for some reason? I and totaly happy with the positioning of everything except the power window switches. Why they didn't just put two switches in the center console is beyond me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe Aero...

That's possible Aero but maybe your legs are longer and your car seat is a bit further back then mine. My torso is longer and my legs shorter, so we can both be 6' ft. but need different seat positions. I am going to check my tilt on the wheel though.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
brentil said:
The problem is 6' is not average height. The average American male is 5'8"-5'10" tall.
The problem is the seats are not height adjustable. While the instruments were in perfect alignment for me, at six feet, but with long legs. I can see someone sitting taller would have a problem, because I had the wheel all the way up to get the leg room.

The answer is a height adjustment on the otherwise perfect seats.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
OZ40 said:
That's possible Aero but maybe your legs are longer and your car seat is a bit further back then mine. My torso is longer and my legs shorter, so we can both be 6' ft. but need different seat positions. I am going to check my tilt on the wheel though.
Glad you finally pointed that out OZ, I was getting a little irked at the people thinking "well I'm 6' and I don't have any problems, you must be doing something wrong."

I noticed the same issue OZ has when I sat in the white demo car at my dealer, that I couldn't see the tops of the gauges. It's something I'll play with a bit and/or get over. But I'm also 6' and I know for a fact that I happen to have a very long torso. It's a standard man thing to have a long torso, but I must be slightly bigger than average in that area. My girlfriend is quite shorter than me (like 5'8") but her legs are LONGER than MINE! So therefore if she's 4" shorter but has longer legs than mine, that means that a LOT of my height comes from my torso.

We may have to look into modifying the seat bracket or something to make it sit lower for us taller/big torso guys.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...works for me

I am 6' and long-torsoed so my head is pretty high up, even enough to get wind blowing hard on the top of my head. BUT, the visibility of my speedometer is soooo much better than in my Honda Element. Except when I turn the wheel I can see almost all of it. A big improvement for me.
:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts