Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
10 year warranty on the battery in California.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Everyone in these forums has a car older than 8 years
I think that it would be obvious to say that we are special. Whether that is good or bad I do not know.

The average ownership period for a new car in the US is between 71 and 79 months, so just under the standard Tesla battery warranty.
The average age of vehicle on the road in the US is 11.8 years, up from 11.4 last year, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
2007 Sky Redline
18 Posts
All of this is true but in 8 or 10 years we'll be shipping off tons of batteries to the Philippines because it's to expensive to recycle them. And the cost of replacing them, wow!

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
You could be right, as it is certainly the case right now for all other electronics. On the other hand, 8-10 years is 8-10 years away and a lot can (and will) change. The batteries also have much higher concentrations of materials in them, so it will be much more economical to recycle. The cost of virgin materials may also be a lot higher then, also making recycling more attractive.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I have no idea how to make this comparison, but I wonder how much I would spend on gasoline versus the cost of electricity during a ten year period. Would the savings (if any) justify the cost of new batteries?

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
One of my concerns is the current state of batteries. One of the sales points is how green these cars are. The life span of the batteries hasn't been discussed as they do have a limited life span. Electric will work if they fix this but until then I'll wait.
To be transparent I havent done my homework on this, but - does the Earth have enough accesible raw materials for batteries......or is the supply as small as the oil supply?

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
To be transparent I havent done my homework on this, but - does the Earth have enough accesible raw materials for batteries......or is the supply as small as the oil supply?
Most of the reports I have read say that many of the materials, especially cobalt, are in short supply. Others, like lithium, have enough supply, but the minimg infrastructure is inadequate.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Good find. Someone alluded to it before, I think we are seeing a revolution comparable to the automobile replacing the horse.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
speaking solely on 'abominations'.... Ford has added the Mustang name to a 4-door E Mach (and no exposed door handles either...)

Bill

·
Registered
255 Posts
EVs will definitely revolutionize transportation but not for anything to do with being green. Tesla has simply shown that you can produce an all around superior product and that is what is spurring adoption. The whole mindset behind Tesla is completely different. Legacy automakers could never have done this.

It reminds me of Apple vs. Microsoft back in the day. Apple develops the product/experience that everyone wants but only a few can afford. Microsoft slowly chips away and eventually (mostly) catches up and brings it to the masses.

Tesla is playing the proprietary - we control everything - no third parties allowed game like Apple. Eventually that will cost them market share as legacy competitors bring the traditional support model to the high end EV world. Right now it's very difficult or impossible to work on your own Tesla. Tesla may or may not sell you a part. Only some manuals are out in the wild and I don't believe you can even run diagnostics yourself.

I would be open to a used Tesla that I could repair/maintain myself but right now that's not an option. The EV space is going to change radically over the next 5-10 years. For now I will stick with ICE autos although I'm am looking into a Tesla motor swap project car.

There are custom controllers that allow you to ditch Tesla for everything but the motor/inverter. Batteries are the biggest expense. Many use batteries from the Leaf or Bolt. Like solar panels, battery prices are dropping every year. I predict that Tesla motor swapped ICE cars are going to explode in popularity as battery prices fall. You can pick up a 986 Boxter with an IMS bearing fail for a song. Put a dual motor setup on that and have some fun.

Or you can start with a kit car like this guy did.....

Or maybe convert a Solstice. Hmm.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, it's a different world with those cars. My Model 3 has made my "fun" cars slow. The instant torque is thrilling. Don't get me wrong, I am all about high hp, big and loud, headers and exhausts, and all that, but the Tesla has totally won me over. I stepped inside the car the other morning to find a software update had been installed that took the 0-60 from 3.1 to 2.9. For free. In my garage. While I slept. They're changing the industry. If something is wrong with the car, they can usually fix it over the phone or via the app -- if not, they come out to my house or office and fix it there. I've never charged anywhere but that the house and my utility has special rates for EV owners between midnight and 6 am, so that's when the car charges. They're fantastic cars.
Yeah.......but the whole idea behind making those electric cars was to "save the earth" and I still haven't seen anyone say how they're going to dispose of Millions of spent toxic batteries??
The internal combustion engine burns VERY clean nowdays.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts