Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hoping one of you more knowledgeable guys can help answer a few questions I have about my order. My sales rep seems to be clueless and I’m getting frustrated. I walked into my dealer on April 15 at about 5:00pm. My dealer amazingly had taken four other orders that day. (It is not a big dealership) Prior to going to this dealer, I had called two other dealers and found that none of them really had a handle on Solstice Early order program. So, I went in with my Early Order ID number and left a deposit and ordered up a car. One of the office people took my ID number and entered it into the computer. They said the actual order would have to wait until the next day as they close at 6:00pm.

I’ve called several times and the salesperson can’t seem to give me any info on my order. All he says is “your one of the allocated five.” He keeps saying that Pontiac hasn’t given them any info yet. Does this sound right? Shouldn’t I have a confirmed order or an order number at the very least?

On Friday, I called the Solstice number someone posted on this forum. The lady found my name and said I was not one of the first 1K. (no surprise there) She also said I was on the wait list. What put me on the wait list? The order itself or the Early Order ID number? She also said she had no info about orders and couldn’t tell me anything else.

What is the deal with the 5 allocated cars? Was that only for the first 1000? Or was that for the program that ran from April 15 – 24? Would my order fall under this first 5 or would it have to come from his normal allocation? Look forward to your help. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hard to tell if your dealer knows or doesn't know which way is up...

Your dealer used the term "allocated"; that's a good sign. The coincidence of the number 5, however could mean trouble. Now, let's look at some details:

The Solstice Early Order Program included a special "first 1000 exclusive retail orders" section, as well as just "early orders" for regular dealer allocation placed during the program period (2005-04-15 14:00 EDT/2005-04-24 18:00 PDT).

The EOP Headquarters you talked to reported that you are on a waiting list. That list is for the 1st 1000 exclusive retail orders. However, given your registration time stamp (the next day) you are in what EOP HQ describes as the second tier wait list, which has a virtually zero chance of getting a 1st 1000.

Does that mean you didn't order a Solstice? NO! You did indeed order a solstice. That order would come from the dealer's first four month allocation. So far so good, and the dealer seems to be doing exactly what they should have been doing--placing orders in the system AND registering your order via the solstice1000.com web site.

Now comes the delicate part: The reason that I am a bit concerned about the dealer is two fold:
  1. You related that the dealer seemed to be lacking a sufficient clue level.
  2. There is a coincidence between the number of allocation units mentioned by the dealer and the MAXIMUM number of first 1000 exclusive retail orders that any dealership could receive (based on first come first served ordering).
Dealer allocations for the first 4 months are not related in any way to the first 1000 exclusive retail orders portion of the EOP. Those units which are ordered during the EOP program period against that first 4 months allocation are considered EOP units, but only units ordered during the first 41 minutes starting at 14:00 EDT had a reasonable probability of being part of the first 1000 exclusive retail orders.

The number of units allocated for the first 4 months was determined by a formula designed by GM to distribute a limited production vehicle among the 2800 dealerships in the US. (Yes, I know I'm not talking about Canada, but it's not entirely germane at this point.) This first 4 month allocation was determined in early April and it is possible for the dealer to find out how many units they have in that allocation. Now, since the number of units ranges from zero (0) to somewhere around the mid to high teens, five allocation units is a perfectly believable number. However, the numeric coincidence with the maximum number of possible 1st 1000 exclusive retail orders is a bit too close for my comfort. You're going to need to press your dealer on this point.

I bring this up, because at the dealership where I placed my order, most of the sales staff didn't bother to try to understand the EOP until about 13:30 EDT, 1/2 hour prior to the gate time! One salesman was absolutely convinced that they had an allocation of 5 cars based on reading the rules. Clearly, skimming the rules from a FAX while the customer waits at a desk out in the main show room can lead to such misconceptions--an honest mistake to be sure.

So, should you be worried about your order? Well, perhaps. What you absolutely need to do is to have your Pontiac dealer contact their regional sales representative and confirm the number of first 4 months allocation units. If it's 5, COOL! You'll have the 5th one to be built for that dealership, and delivery will probably be in the 4th quarter of 2005. However, if the dealership wound up with a zero allocation, then you might want to consider going through another dealership.

Now, how do you go about asking the dealer? I discourage simply calling them; go directly to the dealership in person (preferably during regular 9-5 hours). Ideally, your dealer will be willing to contact their regional sales representative and verify the number of units while you're sitting there. Either way, it will be more difficult to dismiss your question and NOT answer you with you physically present in the dealership versus just talking to them on the phone.

So, what if the dealer is really only allocated 3 units? In that case, you are technically on the dealer's waiting list, and your order would started down the production line some time in the next 4 month allocation, and your solstice would probably arrive sometime after 4th quarter 2005.

I wish all of the Pontiac dealers were as savvy, courteous, and forthright as our conejo148 and Small Dealer, but it is a far from perfect world.

Best of luck in asking about your dealers first 4 month allocation.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You should by now have a receipt for purchase as in any other sale. if you dont i would go get one. The dealership and my company do some business together as im a contractor and to cover there backside put a delivery date on my receipt of 12/31/05 to cover there butt. But as of now they have no word from GM

IHATE SALESMAN LOVE MY SOL

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dozin said:
You should by now have a receipt for purchase as in any other sale. if you dont i would go get one.

I have the standard "Retail Purchase Order for Motor Vehicle" form, and a receipt for the deposit. I received that on April 15. Don't get me wrong, I believe the dealer is completely above board.

What I fear is that they misunderstood the original EOP 5 car maximum allocation as their allotment. This was also indicated by Crimson Avenger. (thanks for the detailed reply). I honestly believe the salesperson has no idea of the order process for the Solstice. He indicates this every time I speak with him. My post was to obtain enough info so that I accurately understand the program.

One of the things I don’t understand is that when I ordered a new Equinox, the salesperson placed the order with Chevy and gave me a computer printout from GM which showed the order and contained an order number. I did not get this from the Solstice. When I asked, “Do I have a confirmed order,” he told me, “you’re one of the allocated five.” That is all he can tell me. He keeps saying he has no other info, but as soon as he hears something, he will let me know.

On Monday, I’m going to have to ask what is his 4 month allocation. If it is less than 5, I’ll be waiting until next spring for my Solstice.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
That's about the size of it.
If you gave them a deposit and they entered your order, you are in the system as an order under regular allocation. Your position in the grand scheme of things is dependent on how many cars your dealer was allowed for the first 4 months. If he gets 2 and you're 5 on his list, you will be waiting until next year.
There's a few good threads that speak to these concerns. Just start from the 1st post: "Dealer Allocation"
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39689#post39689

There's "VOM", and "It's Raining Solstices" also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does anyone know whether it's common for the dealer to take quite some time to cash the $500 deposit check? I ordered my Solstice on 5/11, gave a credit card number (in lieu of a check), and received a VOM# a few days later. But the dealer has yet to charge my credit card for the deposit. I'm not sure if this normal, but I'd be more comforted if I knew he had my money already...

·
Registered
177 Posts
newfan said:
Does anyone know whether it's common for the dealer to take quite some time to cash the $500 deposit check? I ordered my Solstice on 5/11, gave a credit card number (in lieu of a check), and received a VOM# a few days later. But the dealer has yet to charge my credit card for the deposit. I'm not sure if this normal, but I'd be more comforted if I knew he had my money already...
If you have your VOM No., that is confemation that your order has been placed with Pontiac. Dealer could hold off until car is closed.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
PubliusE, you need to bypass the salesperson and go directly to the new car sales manager at your dealership. Usually they are the only ones with the most knowledge of the programs.
  1. each and every dealer that signed up for EOP was allowed to place 5 EOP orders.
  2. only apprentice orders in by appr 2:42 on 4/15 were pending 1/1000 all others were waitlisted
  3. if the dealer submitted the order to the apprentice program themn they would have had an immediate printout with a confirmation # for you
  4. as the ineligibles were weeded out people on the waitlist moved up. With your timing I agree that you would be out of that.
  5. at this point it doesn'y seem likely your dealer got any of the first 1000 or they would be more knowledgeable on the program so here is the tricky part. As long as youe dealer has changed your order to one of his first 4 month allocation and like CA says hopefully 5 IS HIS ALLOCATION. Even doing that there should be numbers generated for him to say yes, you have a car coming.
On the deposit issue I agree that they are probably just holding it to wait and see how much of the car you want to finance. I've had dealers hold checks pinned to the deal and when the car arrived the check was returned because we did a trade and financed the balance. The deposit itself is just a good faith item so that everyone knbows there is a valid pending sale. They certainly may have just taken your card number for your peace of mind because at my dealer posted in every sales stall is a sign that says no credit cards accpetd for deposits. I've touched on this before, I sell offroad equipment and we do the same thing - in most states you have three days to cancel a credit card order if you have not received the product and it is too easy to cancel a credit card deposit and also that now the dealership has spent money inputtnig an order or locating a car that even if they don't cash a check right away it is valid for a longer period of time.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
achieftain said:
PubliusE, you need to bypass the salesperson and go directly to the new car sales manager at your dealership. Usually they are the only ones with the most knowledge of the programs
I did just that today. I called and asked to speak to the Sales Manager. I would have loved to go see him face to face, but my local dealer and my home town is an hour away from work. He told me he had five cars allocated. I questioned him and told him I was very concerned that the five allocated cars were part of the EOP. He said he didn’t think so but he would check with his regional GM guy and get back with me. He did say he had 6 orders and none of them were the first 1000. He also told me my car order had the highest priority for that dealership. When I asked what that meant, he said my order would be the first one to come in. He called me back before the end of that day and said his regional rep confirmed he had a four month allocation of five cars. The Manager again reiterated that my car would be the first of that five car allocation. So I am once again hopeful.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sounds like good news

PubliusE said:
I did just that today. I called and asked to speak to the Sales Manager. I would have loved to go see him face to face, but my local dealer and my home town is an hour away from work. He told me he had five cars allocated. I questioned him and told him I was very concerned that the five allocated cars were part of the EOP. He said he didn’t think so but he would check with his regional GM guy and get back with me. He did say he had 6 orders and none of them were the first 1000. He also told me my car order had the highest priority for that dealership. When I asked what that meant, he said my order would be the first one to come in. He called me back before the end of that day and said his regional rep confirmed he had a four month allocation of five cars. The Manager again reiterated that my car would be the first of that five car allocation. So I am once again hopeful.
That sounds about right. If it were me, I would be significantly relieved. There didn't seem to be any ambiguity in the language that the Sales Manager used. It sounded to me like he was honest about what he said, and to me, it was a good sign that he took the time to contact the regional GM Sales Representative to confirm. Based on that, I do believe that you can take him at his word that you're his first regular first 4 month allocation unit.

Congratulations! :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
PubliusE said:
Congratulations. Now you can feel relieved, and anxious at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts