Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone posted on clubgp that a turbo version IS going to be available for the Solstice. Is this true? As far as I knew, GM hasn't stated that a turbo version will be made. But those guys are preaching it like it's written in stone.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am yet to see any official confirmation. Reading between the lines of many publications and quotes, I believe GM is hinting that it will be a turbo, but at this point they have not even confirmed that there will be a higher power engine for certain, much less what engine it would be.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Audio,

Got a link?

Y'all know where my bets are.

The guys over there I would still put in the "rumor" category. We won't know for sure for a while, but I think it's a high confidence that a F/I I-4 version is coming.

What NOBODY seems to know:

Displacement? 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 liter? Anyone who says they absolutely know is either a not-very-bright and possibly no-longer-employed GM or GM supplier, or is full of sunshine.

Super or Turbo?

Intercooled or not?

If intercooled, air:air, or air:coolant?

Peak Horsepower/Peak Torque and at which RPMs. Is it like the 2.8 L Saab turbo (258 ft-lb @ 2000/250 HP @ 5500) or like the more peaky ION Redline/Cobalt SS Supercharged 2.0L (200 ft-lb @ 4400 / 205 HP @ 5600)?

Other goodies that might have to be added to maximize power (variable valve timing? Variable cam profile? Direct cylinder injection?...) Who knows?

So while they are so sure over at clubgp, I have my doubts that they really know much more. We'll find out sometime - about a year before it's available, if GM does what they typically do :glol:.

So if it is happening "next model year", then I'd be really looking for some sort of "higher hp version" announcement around August of this year, give or take a few months.

Or maybe they will splash the intro with a "peek" at what's coming.

So just be patient and take those posts with as many "grains of salt", or maybe more, than you take with any of our posts. They're certainly not any more of a Solstice/Sky authority than any of the other 7.6X10^8 forums out there :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Apparently they're also the main source for Cobalt SS/ION RL future revisions too. :D

However, if they develope a new forced induction platform off of the 2.4L VVT engine, I wouldn't be suprised to see it in a lot of other vehicles eventually too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts