Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this video of a Caddy limo running at speed around a race track pretty impressive. The fact that it was done in reverse made it even more so!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
While in college, in my early 20's, I spent 3 years working in a warehouse driving a forklift. I became quite proficient at whipping around in reverse around the place which slowly translated into a strong proficiency at driving in reverse in my car. Of course as the old saying goes - if you don't use it, you lose it; I certainly don't tout myself as the "reverse driver" that I once was.

Although physics are on this driver's side with a long wheelbase car having more stability vs a short wheelbase car, that totally doesn't discount his skill (or at least hours of practice)! This is amazing!!!! Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
I found this video of a Caddy limo running at speed around a race track pretty impressive. The fact that it was done in reverse made it even more so!
Diplomatic driving school maybe? I am almost as impressed that the driver can see well enough through that limo-tint backlight.
While in college, in my early 20's, I spent 3 years working in a warehouse driving a forklift. I became quite proficient at whipping around in reverse around the place which slowly translated into a strong proficiency at driving in reverse in my car. Of course as the old saying goes - if you don't use it, you lose it; I certainly don't tout myself as the "reverse driver" that I once was.

Although physics are on this driver's side with a long wheelbase car having more stability vs a short wheelbase car, that totally doesn't discount his skill (or at least hours of practice)! This is amazing!!!! Thanks for sharing!
A forklift driving in reverse is like a car driving forward, so it was more likely the time you spent driving the forklift forward that helped in backing the car.

It is a very impressive display, and that did not sound like a garden-variety limo engine.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the level of skill is amazing. I used to be able to spin a car on the track, having got the clutch in as the spin started, and continue on in the right direction once I got pointed that way (practice! - Solstice - 95.1" wheelbase, my TVR = 85.5") but never developed much skill with driving backwards. And doubt that my neck would turn that far today.

The limo sounded pretty good - and I looked it up - quite possibly a 4 wheel drive vehicle! Not really sure if that would help or hurt driving backwards....

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
.......The limo sounded pretty good - and I looked it up - quite possibly a 4 wheel drive vehicle! Not really sure if that would help or hurt driving backwards....
The only tire smoke at launch was from the rear tires, would that happen in 4WD? AWD maybe, with an open center differential?

Whatever it is, I loved listening to it, just as I enjoyed the Jaguar Project 8 at Nurburgring:
and, of course, "Rendezvous".

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw Rendezvous as a theatre trailer when I was a kid and always remembered it. For years, you could only get pirate copies, but when the first commercial release came out I jumped on a copy. Sounds great, even if the real car was a Mercedes sedan rather than a Ferrari!

I still put it on the big screen when car friends come over to watch something.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
@JohnWR You're absolutely correct on the forklift direction~

...if you don't use it, you lose it....guess I forgot all about the direction! lol

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
The video certainly had me fooled. I just found the Snopes article on it. The original video is fairly obviously fake, but the edited one got me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts