Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think that we've discussed the fact that the Solstice will be entering a pretty soft roadster market. Below are some figures I found on the net. The Mazda slowdown may be due to people waiting for the new MX-5, but it still looks like a tough market.

I'm sure that early demand will be high, but it's going to be interesting to see how things hold up after a year or so.

Miata
March, 2004 1,153
March, 2005 680
Change -41%

2004 YTD 2,498
2005 YTD 1,769
Change -29%

Honda S2000 through Feb.
2004 YTD 1,073
2005 YTD 863
Change -16%

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think to can add Z4 to the list too. Think their sales have been slumping.

Could be several years of bad economy plus many of the existing roadsters have been out for few years as you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
mceb said:
I think to can add Z4 to the list too. Think their sales have been slumping.

Could be several years of bad economy plus many of the existing roadsters have been out for few years as you mentioned.

:agree:

Hallo cars such as these are often the first victums of a down turn. Unless your in the upper level of the market. I wonder how XLR, Boxster and MB sales are doing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
See, I’m not sure if Pontiac will get theirs sales like they want to. There are several roadsters and convertibles coming to the market soon (2006/2007):
-Audi TT (redesigned)
-Mazda Miata
-Toyota Supra
-Pontiac G6 Conv.
-Mitsubishi ECLIPSE
-VOLKSWAGEN (C and R concept)
-Volvo C30
The point is that some of them will be priced really close to the price of Solstice (20k + options = 24k) or maybe little more and some of the people may consider Japanese or Germans over Pontiac. Some people are willing to spend little extra to get more luxury or performance. What do you think???

·
5,600 Posts
The convertible sports car market it soft. That will not affect the sure-to-come Solstice Feeding Frenzy.

The 2005 Ford Mustang shows the popularity of a gorgeous car priced correctly. Every secretary, every college student, every Malibu beach bum, every SCCA race car driver with a tired Miata, every style conscious yuppie and everyone with any sense who has been waiting forever for a good-looking fun American sports car ever since the Corvette went racing, is going to at least consider buying this car. And the thing is, they can all afford it.

Demand is going to be up for some time to come, especially if the trunk truly can gobble up a bag of golf clubs.

On the original topic, I would even venture to say the entire new car and truck market is soft. I think we are in a cycle of new car saturation after years of discounts and incentives. It has depressed used car values, caused deeper discounts and incentives and raised inventories. JMHO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, you right I totally forgot about mustang. Mustang is a double blow since it can be purchase thru ford supplier program (x-plan) and you can get one of them for <26k.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is available thru supplier program (x-plan) and it just showed up as conv. so I do not think think it will take long to get Solstice thru GMS.

·
5,600 Posts
solsticeman said:
"a gorgous car priced correctly..."

nice ring.

Anyone hear of gouging on the Mustang?
The Mustang is a home run because it is a gorgeous performance car and Ford set an appropriate MSRP, unlike say the Thunderbird.

Gouging is definitely occuring. If buyers wouldn't allow themselves to be raped by greedy dealers, the gouging couldn't occur. I blame selfish, impatient buyers moreso than greedy dealers.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
LBJay said:
At a recent used car auction, a used Mustang GT (7K miles) that had a MSRP of just over $27K, sold for over $29K. ;)
Ouch!

·
Registered
35 Posts
IMHO, the Miata (& Sky) will be the Sol’s only real competition. The other cars mentioned i.e. Mustang, S2000, Eclipse, etc. are significantly higher in price. If Pontiac will/can keep the price under $25K the Sol shouldn’t have any sales problems.

Regarding the Miata’s soft sales, remember, Mazda is coming out with a completely resigned, new Miata shortly. I’m sure most Miata enthusiast are waiting on the new model.
I know I am. I will be taking a hard look at the new Miata before I place an order on the Sol.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
We did discuss the soft roadster market a long time ago, but its certainly worth bringing up.

yes, they are not selling many roadsters right now. However, there are other very plausable reasons for that other than a lack of interested buyers. Most to all of the more affordable roadsters that have sold in bigger volumes in the past are old. Miata is in its 7th model year, the S2K has been out a while, the Z4 is not selling too well but it is partially related to styling since it never sold as well as the Z3. Also, people have known a new Miata was on the horizon for some time, as well as the Solstice, and I am sure Honda people have been hoping for a redesigned S2K too.

So, we may be seeing low volumes of roadster sales simply because the products in the market have gotten stale. With a bunch of new roadsters coming online, sales could pick up some but remain sluggish, but they may take off too!

·
Registered
118 Posts
solsticeman said:
"a gorgous car priced correctly..."

nice ring.

Anyone hear of gouging on the Mustang?

Yes! I have considered the Mustang to be a back up if I could not fit in the Solstice (I am now convinced this is not an issue). The dealer I spoke to about the mustang attemped to sell me a GT that would sticker for around $25k for $34k! :willy: It had already been titled by the sales manager and he wanted $9k over sticker for it! :brentil:
I laughed out loud right in front of him and evidently insulted him in the process. I am sure that was an act honed over many years in the business.
I told him the most I would ever go for that car was $24k...we agreed to disagree. ;)

I believe that the convertible version will help put a stop to gouging on the hardtop GT's.

Doesn't matter anyway since I will have a "first 1000" confirmation in about a week! :jester:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Miata is in its 7th model year,...
And that's just for the 99+ NB redesign. You have an entire decade of NA (Original 90-97s) in the used market. Many people prefer the early design, considering it closer to the original "British" sportscar experience (without the problems).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
dls6774 said:
I wonder about overall numbers...
Could it be the pie is only just so big and so the slices are smaller for each model?
While that is certainly a possibility, the price point of the Solstice changes the roadster market substantially. Starting at $20K, it's 2/3 the price (or less) of many of the other roadsters, and the MX-5 has a higher starting point. This will tend to expand the market.

Certainly, there will be some folks who will choose the car based on the design and styling, and those folks will shift the boundaries between the pieces of the pie, but I believe that just as the iMac lead the price of a usable internet ready computer down, so too will the Solstice show that there is pent up demand for a larger segment of the population who don't make nearly so much money.

Then, too, there's the fact that the American automakers haven't really had an inexpensive roadster, so there's also the "Made in America" influence....

Just my 2/100's of a dollar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
miata starting price

My question is this...does the miata come standard with features that the Solstice have as options such as the ABS, A/C, power door locks or windows, etc? I was just wondering. I did notice that Soltice has some features that are better than the Miata's...such as the 18 inch wheels. I'm pleased with the price point on this car...I was just wondering if the price has been dropped by some of these so called optional items. :confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was kinda surprised that side-impact airbags were not an option. They have that as an option even in the old Cavalier. I want a pillow for my torso. :yawn:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts