Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Boy, I'd really like to have that, but I'm leary that it might be one of those ones that had the manufacturing issue with too short corners or something.

I had heard that some guys had managed to get ones made in a custom color..........like.......uhhhhh.........gee........maybe RED for instance?

What did that cost?

Who can point me to a thread where this was discussed?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Whatever colour it sells for, it is still ugly - looks like you are huddled under a do it yourself pup tent when it is on the car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might be ugly to some, but to have it would be a good idea. I doubt they made 1200 of these for each car. They are few and far between. I have one sitting in my garage. Put it on once to make sure it fit, then back in the box.

having one WILL help the resale value down the road.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Since the hard top does not fit inside the car this seems the perfect solution, and a must have, when driving around during days that is just might rain.
The idea is fine, it was the execution that failed. Aside from the mechano set look, the factory made something that wouldn't break down enough to leave any luggage space in the back of the car. We know it was possible to do that as one owner has done it.

I've always wondered why they didn't pursue a T top solution with twin half hard top sections that would fit in the back. That wouldn't have left any better space, but it would have eliminated an extra $1200 cost and also the issue of whether to carry the extra top with you on a given day.

I don't disagree that it may help resale value to have this part, but as I tend to keep my cars a long time, by the time I do sell it, we'll probably have other things to worry about (like we've run out of oil, or the laws only allow electric vehicles on the roads ;)

I recently sold two cars. Both had been in the fleet for more than two decades. Get back to me in 2029 about whether my coupe is for sale......:lol:

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Top sold for $555 + $30 S/H (start price was $400), very good deal for someone.

Don't believe the soft top that had been modified to fold in half ever sold, but that was listed around $1100.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
It wasn't me who got it.

The ultimate mod that fans of my other car interest(Opel GT's) do is to make them into Targa tops, much like our Coupes. Last year, a member showed up with his "almost finished" silver Targa top GT with a V8 in it. Making a hard top roof is extremely difficult with this Targa mod because of the way the doors are shaped at the top and the nature of the windows.

So, he showed up with no top. He drove 6-8 hours from Ohio to Carlisle, Pa. A 3 day car show. When time to leave, the forecast called for 2 days of solid rain for his drive back. Uh-ohhhhh! Luckily I had a brand roll of silver duct tape. He and a few other guys made a silver duct tape roof for his silver Targa!

It lasted the whole ride home to Ohio!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Yeah, I know that there's the other threads about JPM's and maybe another guy's simplified, more collapsible, soft top, but it seems to me that a lot of us would be into an incredibly super simple, home made, strictly for emergencies soft top that you could make yourself for a hundred bucks or so and would be no more substantial than a windbreaker with a little folding frame work around the outside.

Orrrrrr.........just an outer framework, that you clamp in place when the top isn't on, with snaps sticking up. Then just a totally canvass or thin material top that you just snap in place when needed and that you could roll up and stuff in the glove box. Maybe it only stops 90% of the rain, but it gets you home and is way cheap.

Thoughts?

Jokes?

Insults?

:)

Below are pics of a tarp top trailer I made for my Red Baron themed Opel GT. It's like a boat tarp with those twisty things to hold it on. Additionally, my garage door uses tarp technology. It's made from boat tarp stuff and has eyelets around the perimeter, plus 2 long zippers. Two pulls on a rope and pulleys raise it all the way up. No overhead rails, cheap, removable, colored to match the trim on my house. My garage is one half of a two car garage, has a low ceiling, and two cars with one up on a lift. I didn't have the room for an overhead raising door and the shared garage wouldn't let me use a swing out concept.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I still want them to figure out how to weld the top on, not build a soft top!!

Seriously though, you can make up a soft top that covers the gap - Triumph did it in 1962 and called it a Surrey top. If GM had half the brains they could have done it as well. It is a fabric piece that snaps to the windscreen and the fixed rear portion (very much like the Solstice coupe).

Top off:

Hard top on:

Soft top on:

Triumph solved it and 50 years later GM screwed it up. Way to go guys!

And BTW, if you have a tonneau cover (soft canvas cover that snaps over the passenger compartment when only the driver is aboard) you can drive at normal speeds in the rain and almost all of it goes right over your head. Traffic stops suck, though! I've always been a bit surprised that more modern cars don't have optional tonneau covers as they make a nice security cover if you want to park and leave the top down - people aren't as likely to want to be seen rooting around under your tonneau.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was considering getting my top recovered. Yes, it's new still, but I though it would be neat to get it white to match. Maybe even the blue stripe on it too.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I was considering getting my top recovered. Yes, it's new still, but I though it would be neat to get it white to match. Maybe even the blue stripe on it too.
DeepBlueGXP Wicked coupe.

We all know why GM made the coupe a targa; federal regulations + a small budget. I'm just thankful the coupe was made at all considering how close GM was to pulling the plug on Pontiac. Sure the soft top has faults to some, but I think there would have been twice as much complaining towards GM if they hadn't offered anything at all.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I still want them to figure out how to weld the top on, not build a soft top!!

Seriously though, you can make up a soft top that covers the gap - Triumph did it in 1962 and called it a Surrey top. If GM had half the brains they could have done it as well. It is a fabric piece that snaps to the windscreen and the fixed rear portion (very much like the Solstice coupe).

Top off:

Hard top on:

Soft top on:

Triumph solved it and 50 years later GM screwed it up. Way to go guys!

And BTW, if you have a tonneau cover (soft canvas cover that snaps over the passenger compartment when only the driver is aboard) you can drive at normal speeds in the rain and almost all of it goes right over your head. Traffic stops suck, though! I've always been a bit surprised that more modern cars don't have optional tonneau covers as they make a nice security cover if you want to park and leave the top down - people aren't as likely to want to be seen rooting around under your tonneau.
It was a matter of choice, instead of making a top that flaps and perhaps leaks, all I can say is ours is pretty darn quiet, no flap, looks good from the inside, much like the hard top and likely no leak. The tradeoff to how it was built is the storage.

In any case, I wonder about what a T-top would have been like....

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
If GM had not made the Coupe soft top...

In early May I was able to buy one off EBAY that was a dealer showroom sample. I was the only bidder, paid $525 including shipping. I do like how well it fits and seals. Tested in the rain no leaks at all. Hard to assemble and storage is an issue.

Covertible-Soft-Top-for-Solstice-2009 Covertible-Soft-Top-for-Solstice-2009
Item Sold Item condition:New Ended: May 03, 2014 Winning bid: $525.00
1 bid Shipping: FREE Standard Shipping Item location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Looking at the item description, I just realized why there were no other bidders. Note that the word Convertible was spelled wrong. Perhaps not well known but some of the best buys on EBay are realized because items have errors in the description.

If GM had not made this someone might have stepped up and offered an aftermarket unit. I do wish there was some sort of an emergency top that could simply snap on quickly. If just to cover the interior in quick rainstorms, until the storm was over and you could drive again, or as a quick way to protect the interior when parked in the sun.

A friend of mine restores antique cars, usually pre 1916. He has had some pretty cool stuff in his shop, including a custom chassis made for Mrs. Roebuck of the Sears type Roebucks. Made by a GM predecessor, 580 cubic inches and about 50 horsepower. I will ask him about the feasibility of a "quickie top", he fabricates everything for these old cars including tops.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Top sold for $555 + $30 S/H (start price was $400), very good deal for someone.

Don't believe the soft top that had been modified to fold in half ever sold, but that was listed around $1100.
That would be mine. About to be listed here For Sale and on Ebay for $800 + shipping. Here's the original thread, that included pictures along the way (among the five pages of comments).

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/re-engineered-targa-soft-top-75014/

Here's the Ebay listing, with pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121401014253?item=121401014253&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Cheers, Ron

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Congrats SolstOpel, no tinker toy soft top assembly for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts