Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is unfortunately my first post on this forum. I've lurked it for a month or so now. I wish I could have posted with better intent. Unfortunately my first post will be one requesting advise. :(

So apparently on Wednesday I had mistakenly not latched my soft top properly after going to Venice Beach here in Florida. I was driving with my windows down and the air condition off because it was a nice day. I got going on the interstate, and several miles into my drive, my top flew up! It scared me about half to death. I immediately stopped to try and latch it back but it seemed that the frame was bent. I was able to fold it into the trunk and close that and make it home. Good thing it was so nice outside. ;)

Unfortunately I took it to the dealer, they want $105 just to look at it. I've looked online and an entire frame assembly will cost me $1000 it seems, then I have no idea how to install it myself. On top of that, there are two body flaps that go up with the top and then close to cover the arms that protrude from the trunk I guess when the top is down. They no longer move until the frame itself pushes them up, and from trying to work it into place, I've scratched those up a bit. :/ there were tension cables that attached to the back it seems but the tiny plastic bits that hold them on are broken right out.

I can pay my $1000 deductible (I never have had issues with accidents and the like, so I've never kept my deductible reasonable to save myself the monthly cost) and my insurance company can take care of it and have it repaired under comprehensive I guess. But I would like to think that if I order the small plastic clips for the flaps, and find the parts of the top assembly that are bent I could replace just those parts.

I could post pictures if that helps?

I would like advise on what I should do. Do you think it's something I should mess with or should I just shell out the grand and have it done?

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Sadly this is not a unique occurrence to you. We have seen it a few times over the years.

The two flaps that rotate upward to clear the top are the tulip panel flaps. The failure of the plastic clips has happened many times. The clips are readily available through GM sources

Clip part# 15290793

Here is the referenced thread.
top wont close - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

As to your top, Really sorry to hear of your problem. Sadly there is no good easy fix.

The top is a rube Goldberg assembly of springs, cables, linkages, hinges and struts. And the canvas is glued and riveted to the structure. To make it even more challenging, if you have the acoustic liner, getting at the structure is even more difficult.

The good news is that swapping out a top assembly is fairly easy. There are four mounting bolts and two elastic straps that are bolted to the sides of the trunk. Once you remove these six fasteners the top lifts up and out of the trunk. It is possible to do yourself but easier and safer to do it with a friend.

Once you have the top assembly out of the trunk you can put it on the bench and work on it easier, or better yet buy a new top assembly and install it. When I checked a couple of months ago a new assembly in black from GM was about $2300 down from over $3000. If you are doing it yourself you can look around on the web and probably find one at a discount for around 2000.

If you want to try doing the repair, its likely that the damage is repairable if you can figure out which strut or link is bent or broken. Here are some pictures of the interior of my spare top.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
Heck my understanding is that working on that top is a nightmare...
My dealer was so paranoid about it down here in south Florida, that they just subbed out the work to a convertible shop they work with. Once the new top is installed, some "tweaking" will be required. Also the windows might need to be adjusted. IF you have a convertible shop up there since you are in Florida, I would look them up. Also some boat yards (believe it not) might also be able to help. But I would check out a car shop first. Good luck!!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Heck my understanding is that working on that top is a nightmare...
My dealer was so paranoid about it down here in south Florida, that they just subbed out the work to a convertible shop they work with. Once the new top is installed, some "tweaking" will be required. Also the windows might need to be adjusted. IF you have a convertible shop up there since you are in Florida, I would look them up. Also some boat yards (believe it not) might also be able to help. But I would check out a car shop first. Good luck!!:thumbs:
:agree::agree::agree:

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Having said all the above, if you find a really good top guy it would be worth the effort to have them take a look at it to see if they are willing to work on it. But if it costs more than a few hundred, go with a replacement top. You could get it repaired and end up with problems in the future that are not covered.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Welcome aboard and sorry to hear of your misfurtune. My son did the same thing on the 06 but luckily he wasn't going that fast. I jacked with it and got it to open and close but the pins on the flaps (butruss) don't line up too well and it's hard to snap them in and get them to release. That's on the to do list this weekend and I'll try and take some photo's if I think they'll help and post them Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum...you're in the right place for some good advice. I wonder how the top blew up to begin with!? Was it a latch problem or impact with road detritus...

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Comprehension, Rob, comprehension.

The OP stated it looked like it would cost him $1k. Did not specifically state who/where.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts