Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone heard anything about the thickness/layering of the soft top? Is it a single skin? My wife came close to buying a WV cabriolet a while back and the top was amazing - 7 layers of fabric and finished imaculately. I don't expect the Sol to have that, but it's my benchmark. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
One layer. No liner. Simple, light, low cost.
Won't be an issue in terms of temperature as it won't take much to heat that cockpit.
Will be a little more noise than a lined top.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Single layer cloth as Skidpad mentioned will allow more noise through in both directions, as will it allow the transfer of heat/cold. Outside temp and noise will bleed through a lot easier then on a lined top. If they ever make a version with a lined top you could possibly get your roof replaced with a newer one as long as they're mechanically the same.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You probably can have it lined at place that does convertable tops if it's an issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Does breathability when it comes to moisture become an issue? it sounds to me like a lined top would do much better in repelling rain and any other water that comes at it. I think also, that a lined soft-top would produce better acoustics for a sound system with the top up, since the noise transference is higher in an unlined, two big concerns of mine.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
AeroDave said:
You probably can have it lined at place that does convertable tops if it's an issue.
Any idea what that costs or who does it? I assume it doesn't interfere with the mechanics of the top folding in anyway?

·
Registered
189 Posts
mceb said:
Any idea what that costs or who does it? I assume it doesn't interfere with the mechanics of the top folding in anyway?
not sure how much it costs but its something Ill definately look at

·
Registered
284 Posts
We all know that there is no top, so the quality doesn't matter :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
mceb said:
I have no idea, since I've ever owned a convertable before, but I do know that there are top shops that make custom tops from scratch and restore vintage tops by making all new fabric for them. I am assuming that for a place like this, putting a liner in an existing, perfect condition top would be no big deal. I could be wrong though. Just have to take your car down there when you get it and have them look at it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a Jeep wrangler with a soft top single layer and I've never experienced any problem with moisture even going thru a touchless car wash but it does allow road noise thru.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I will admit, I have not read the previous posts, however the top on the Solstice will be very umm "rugged" to say the least. It will not feature a headliner, etc. Even on the top end model. Meaning, wind-noise on the Solstice should be expected to be quite high.

This has me re-thinking A/C yet again. If It's high with the top up, I won't drive it with the top up, meaning...A/C is not necessary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
mceb said:
I own a Eclipse Spyder convertible, I had the lining inside replaced, it cost me $800, but it already had one developed for it. Not sure what it will cost for one to be designed and installed.

As for the myth, the lining does nothing really for you, it is cosmetic. while sitting in the car you can't see the Roof machinery.

·
Registered
189 Posts
HYPUR said:
I own a Jeep wrangler with a soft top single layer and I've never experienced any problem with moisture even going thru a touchless car wash but it does allow road noise thru.
Yeah, my savior there is I cruise with my music pumped, and when its down its all part of the experience, so I guess it cant be too bad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts