Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take the soft top off today and store it in the trunk. Quite the process!!!!:willy::devil::willy: I have been reading up on this on this forum and made sure I had a few items to help the agony along. This pic shows after much effort the bows removed from top. Had to work on it a few times but with practice I can see me getting better. Bend at the edge, get the push bolt down and shove the MF forward and then repeat three more times........
The drop sheet is a Northern Sol original design. Yours for only $99.99 from my infomercial marketing firm of " I Fleecem & How" You need it to work on this top.

Attachments

Reactions: AppSt2008 and sirwm

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bow Storage Bag

Got the idea here from earlier posts. King Size Pillow Case sewn down the middle and even got the wife to iron on the Pontiac Racing patch.
Once again yours for only 99.99 plus $300.00 shipping and handling. >:)

Attachments

Reactions: AppSt2008 and sirwm

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stored in the trunk

Got the beast stored away. I know the bows go inside the top with it wrapped around but I just could not be bothered first time doing this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My beauty....Topless!

Once I get the White OEM stripe Kit put on I think I will leave the targa top on most of the time. When I want top down I will take the "mean machine".

Attachments

Reactions: sirwm

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I park her at home where it is safe I can put this roof cover over her that I got for the roadster. Looks like crap but keeps the dust out and I don't have to deal with the MF'n soft top!!!!! I can imagine have to rush in the rain to get the soft top on. I did it by myself and it was a pain but I still love it and am glad I have a soft top. Plan to get JPM to recover it in black sail cloth at some point......stay tuned.:thumbs:

Attachments

Reactions: sirwm

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Got the beast stored away. I know the bows go inside the top with it wrapped around but I just could not be bothered first time doing this.
Don't do it, acquire a king size pillow case. Then sew a sew a seam down the middle and store the bows in it. It's really the best way. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rotated the ones that were upside down or sideways:
Thanks. I am losing it after removing the soft top. Question for fellow Coupe people ......can you put the soft top back on by yourself without scratching the paint etc????

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't do it, acquire a king size pillow case. Then sew a sew a seam down the middle and store the bows in it. It's really the best way. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
That is what I did and got the idea from you!

Reactions: SolNut

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
That is what I did and got the idea from you!
Great, now when you store it in the car, you have two packages.....not a big deal.

Good luck with the Coupe.

Rear window tint. I used vinyl 50/50 on mine which only lets in 50% of the light and heat ( Same stuff they wrap buses with) AND can be printed with any design you want and any colors too. Was thinking about a big Pontiac emblem until I did the stripe, then I did a 'ghost' of the stripe for it. Only problem I have had was that the installers put a cover on the vinyl, they do it on windows on buses and cars and.... This wasn't good for me in the rain and I had to peel it off and it's been great ever since. Plus it's cooler back there. I also jazzed up the sills with some vinyl. Have fun Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great, now when you store it in the car, you have two packages.....not a big deal.

Good luck with the Coupe.

Rear window tint. I used vinyl 50/50 on mine which only lets in 50% of the light and heat ( Same stuff they wrap buses with) AND can be printed with any design you want and any colors too. Was thinking about a big Pontiac emblem until I did the stripe, then I did a 'ghost' of the stripe for it. Only problem I have had was that the installers put a cover on the vinyl, they do it on windows on buses and cars and.... This wasn't good for me in the rain and I had to peel it off and it's been great ever since. Plus it's cooler back there. I also jazzed up the sills with some vinyl. Have fun Steve
I love your coupe. Your stripe package is what inspired me to do it on mine. I will have the same stripe in white. This morning I am going to "Coupe Soft Top Boot Camp". I am going to reassemble it and see if I can put back onto the car by myself. Hopefully my years of weight lifting pay off!!!!! Once I have got her on I will then remove and store her again with the bows wrapped inside the roof. Once I do all of this I will feel more confident with this "device".>:)

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I love your coupe. Your stripe package is what inspired me to do it on mine. I will have the same stripe in white. This morning I am going to "Coupe Soft Top Boot Camp". I am going to reassemble it and see if I can put back onto the car by myself. Hopefully my years of weight lifting pay off!!!!! Once I have got her on I will then remove and store her again with the bows wrapped inside the roof. Once I do all of this I will feel more confident with this "device".>:)
I still advise you not to store the bows inside the rolled up roof. In the same bag, maybe. but additional padding such as a bath towel sure would not hurt! I store mine, assembled and under a queen sized bed in a padded rack(card table):smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still advise you not to store the bows inside the rolled up roof. In the same bag, maybe. but additional padding such as a bath towel sure would not hurt! I store mine, assembled and under a queen sized bed in a padded rack(card table):smile2:
I won't. The only time I will wrap the bows inside the roof is when I put her in the trunk. When the Targa goes on the soft top will go assembled into the OEM Coupe roof storage bag. I have a cart for a Corvette targa that I then store it on.

I assembled the soft top this morning and then lifted her into the air and got her safely reinstalled onto the Coupe with no issues. It is kind of like doing a shoulder press exercise. The fact that I can remove and install the soft top on my own makes me a lot happier. Tomorrow I will do it all over again. Practice makes perfect.:thumbs:

Reactions: SolNut

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Coupe-A-Brella

This morning I removed the soft top then reinstalled it and then removed it again. I disassembled it and folded it up with the bows in a pillow case and then put them in the middle of the inside of the top and folded it up. Fitted nicely into the storage bag and then secured in the cargo net storage area. I now feel pretty good about this and and am confident assembling, disassembling and on my own installing and removing the soft top.

I have a kappabrella that I modified to hook onto my GM luggage rack on my roadster. Works great on it. I thought I would give it a go on Coupe. She fits nicely. It would really work well with a plastic strut that goes across cockpit and and rests or clips onto to the passenger and drivers window. Welcome any ideas......pics are coming.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coupe-A-Brella

Here she is from the front. The Kappabrella is available from DDM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Coupe-A-Brella

From the back. Seems like a nice solution when you are in safe covered parking and don't want to go through putting the soft top on. As I said earlier would be really cool to come up with a strut that goes across to hold cover up taught over cockpit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
If you have any woodworker friends maybe have them make you a couple of inch or so wide and quarter inch or so slats that are just slightly longer than two places you could let them rest in the opening. Being slightly longer will give you a natural arch when they are in the opening and they would be really easy to take in and out. If you can't find anyone local to make you any and you want some, send me a length measurement and I could probably ship you a couple in a poster tube pretty cheaply.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you have any woodworker friends maybe have them make you a couple of inch or so wide and quarter inch or so slats that are just slightly longer than two places you could let them rest in the opening. Being slightly longer will give you a natural arch when they are in the opening and they would be really easy to take in and out. If you can't find anyone local to make you any and you want some, send me a length measurement and I could probably ship you a couple in a poster tube pretty cheaply.
That is a great idea. Pretty sure my buddy Jackl is a wood worker. :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just measured from window to window across. It is 50 inches which gives you a 1 inch overhang on each side. A slot would therefore go in at 1 inch and 49 inches. Being 50 inches in length means fitting the bow, strut, whatever we shall call it into the Coupe will be a challenge if you want to take it with you. At some point I will get to a hardware store at look into something plastic that can be cut to this length and then cut in half to store it. Would need a sleeve for the two pieces to slide into and lock them together.

For now will use as is or reassemble the soft top.:willy::willy::willy::willy::willy::willy:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts