Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the north country so my Solstice GXP only gets driven 6 months out of the year. I have a question concerning the soft top during storage. I always leave the soft top up, should I leave it under tension or should I relieve the tension by rotating the cam release handle inside the drivers compartment? Anything else to be done to the soft top for winter storage?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
My opinion would be up to reduce creasing/pinch points. Your concern of relieving tension is understood to reduce the possibility of stretching. I can also see the desire to reduce compression set of the weather stripping. I have no reason to believe the materials in use would be susceptible to compression set, but anything left under pressure can and will eventually move. I'd vote to drop the lever back and release the tension.

I am, however, very interested in the opinions/observations of those more seasoned than I.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Personally, after 7years I have observed no wear on either of out tops. They are stored inside and in a dry climate. I treat the canvas regularly and take care when operating. My concern is more about keeping the interior clean. A sealed top is a happy top in my opinion.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Although in live in the Southeast, I do travel extensively for work. I have left the top both up and down for several months with no adverse side effects. I have experienced that the top feels a little stiff putting it up after being in the trunk for months at a time, but that could be mental trickery from me being away from the car for so long and not being accustomed to unfolding the top. Either way, I don't think you have anything to worry about if you kept tension on the top. If you decide to leave the top "loose" you may get some bugs that crawl in like I get spiders when I leave the top down.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
It's crazy how much dust gets collected in a closed garage. I would close up everything as usual but as you suggested rotate the lock just a little to relieve pressure may prevent wear. the latch or spring on my 06 is worn a little and the top does not latch tight as it should.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Probably should have clarified - I would only pop the latch loose if stored inside and under a car cover!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes my car is stored inside a closed garage and under a car cover. I am leaning toward moving the cam lever to reduce tension on the cloth top. I have never treated my top with anything. What is suggested to treat the canvas with?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I have never treated my top with anything. What is suggested to treat the canvas with?
Man you've been here since 2008 and haven't seen the myriad of posts on this:

Two main options are always thrown up... 303 canvas protectant and Raggtop convertible protectant. Each has its own apostles.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I knew if I held off for a couple of minutes, TS and RTE would post up on this controversial subject. RaggTop vs. 303.

Let me say that I have used the RaggTop, and it works well. I have also seen tops treated with the 303, and it works well, too.

Use whichever you can get the easiest.

The company that manufactures the canvas used in our tops recommends the RaggTop.

For what it's worth, I leave my top latch tightened all winter, the top is nice and tight as it was when new.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
I knew if I held off for a couple of minutes, TS and RTE would post up on this controversial subject. RaggTop vs. 303.

Let me say that I have used the RaggTop, and it works well. I have also seen tops treated with the 303, and it works well, too.

Use whichever you can get the easiest.

The company that manufactures the canvas used in our tops recommends the RaggTop.

For what it's worth, I leave my top latch tightened all winter, the top is nice and tight as it was when new.
:agree::agree::agree:

Well said. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Hmmm, I'm wondering why mehran hasn't chimed in and asked how to clean the top yet:lol:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Hmmm, I'm wondering why mehran hasn't chimed in and asked how to clean the top yet:lol:
He probably will before too long . . . you just have to love his enthusiasm and youth. I remember changing a head gasket on my BSA MC when I was 17, there wasn't anything I couldn't do back then. I still have a couple of scars from that era :rofl: :rofl: :cool: ;)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
He probably will before too long . . . you just have to love his enthusiasm and youth. I remember changing a head gasket on my BSA MC when I was 17, there wasn't anything I couldn't do back then. I still have a couple of scars from that era :rofl: :rofl: :cool: ;)
Ahhh, the good ole days where you ordered parts out of a magazine or from a book at the autoparts store or even from a fiche if that's all they had, then you installed it without the help from a video tutorial. my buddy learned the hard way to make sure the main bearing caps are flush before torquing.

I have only used a cleaner on my top and haven't conditioned it yet but I do park in the shade most of the time. Think I'll order some though and do them both for the sake of this thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info on the soft top guys. Guess I'll keep which product I choose a secret. That way you will all be my friends instead of only half of you.:):):)

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
If anyone disowns you over how you "treat your top", they're not your real friend anyway. lol

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Well guys & Gals I live in Maryland where summers & winters can be very HARSH. I use Ragtop on mine after I wash it . Oh My car sets Outside year round and only used a top cover one time . Mine is a Dec. 2008 delivery and the top still looks Black and new.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I live in the north also but i keep mine in a garage with a california cover :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts