Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read something that was posted on the Skyroadser forum:

The software update could be the one that fixes the "I won't talk to the TPMS system or allow the key fobs to work if the battery is allowed to run all the way down" problem. Had that done on my last year or the year before.

Anyone heard of this software update?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am the one who posted this on the other site.

Yes, on certain Kappas if the battery becomes fully depleted, the car won't talk to the TPMS sensors and the key fobs won't work. This is due to a GM software coding error. The only way to fix it is to pay the dealer to flash in the new code and reprogram the fobs.

Note: When I took mine in with this problem the dealership was entirely unaware of it. I handed them the TSB and said "Do this please".
"We'll investigate the problem and send you an estimate."
"No. I want you to just do what's in the TSB. I am certain it covers the problem."
"We'll evaluate..."
"No. Please just do what it says. Do not lift the car. Just flash up the software as it says."

And I had to pay for it. I understand that software isn't perfect, but sheesh, when GM and the dealers are making money off their own QC failures it sure seems like a conflict of interest.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Well, to be fair, it was a TSB, not a recall. It was covered under the warranty period, but you had to pay afterwards (I had mine done for free).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, to be fair, it was a TSB, not a recall. It was covered under the warranty period, but you had to pay afterwards (I had mine done for free).
I don't think end users should have to pay to receive a fix for defective GM software, especially when it affects safety (TPMS) and access (fobs) features. Forcing buyers to pay for this creates a disincentive for GM to do a better job on code QC, and cars are more and more dependent on software.

Their handling of things like this, the ignition switch issue, passenger air bag sensor, etc. is exactly why I've never considered a Corvette.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts