Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun evening! The hot day was finally cooling off, so the "W" and I went for a ride down to the Pontiac dealer to make a second contact...just in case the Sol bug bites too hard.

We asked for a new brochure (that I read about today in threads), he walks out with an apprentice brochure, and says we only have four, but we'll let you have this one as a special favor......cool! Made my day! :cool:

So, we're pulling out, waiting for traffic, and as the last car goes by and I start laying into the MSM pedal, I realize I'm pulling out behind a new NC MX-5, we'll obviously I hit the pedal a little harder! I kinda hoped to get a little challenge going :devil: no luck......... he wouldn't bite :(

Turns out it was going back to the dealer on a test ride. I follow to check it out.

They have 5. One is a 3rd gen limited edition, velocity red, with leather, chrome accents, and a special edition badge with 305 of 3500 on it. That badge is almost identical to the sol EOP badge, very very simliar. I thought that was interesting.

I liked the MX-5 exterior more than I expected, but still have strong reservations, but more than I expected was surprising.

DISCLAIMER: next comments mean no offense to new MX-5 owners:
I didn't like lots of the interior, i.e gauge cluster, center console, dash......Cloth seats were rather uncomfortable, the supports along the legs raise sharply (leather smoothed this out a bit). A bit more room than the MSM, but not enough to cause me to rush to get it.

Top operation is kinda cool! I test ride tomorrow.

sticker prices were $22K through $27K ($27K being the spec edit), no markup.

Hey, it's something to do until they get a Sosltice on the lots. And I got a Solstice aprrentice brochure!

The "W" and I wondered, would brentil's head fit in this one :brentil: :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Sounds like a fun day! I have a feeling we'll be reading about your new NC Miata soon! :lol: You seem to have a bit of trouble getting out of the Mada dealer without buying a Miata! :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
RODEO said:
The "W" and I wondered, would brentil's head fit in this one :brentil: :lol:
That's a really good idea. If I'm free this weekend I'll see if the local Mazda dealerhsips have any NCs and I'll go see how I fit in them now compared to the MSM.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fformula88 said:
Sounds like a fun day! I have a feeling we'll be reading about your new NC Miata soon! :lol: You seem to have a bit of trouble getting out of the Mada dealer without buying a Miata! :lol:
Nope, this one has draw, but not enough for me. That was what was so fun, I knew I wasn't in danger of the "take-it-home" temptation. This won't be so true when I see Solstice.

It was fun chasinh him down in that NC, but would have loved a bit more of a challenge :devil:

question, how rare (or not) are the apprentice brochures????

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brentil said:
That's a really good idea. If I'm free this weekend I'll see if the local Mazda dealerhsips have any NCs and I'll go see how I fit in them now compared to the MSM.
Let us know! We found it has more arm room but less tunnel depth for leg room, otherwise not noticealby roomier.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took a MX-5 test drive today, enjoyed it, but like the MSM better, more performance feel by far in the MX-5 suspension. The NC will be a smoother ride for the commuter. Can't say how it compares to a base NB, never drove one. Noticed a lot of body roll I thought, a softer suspension overall. accelertion didn't do it for me, I attribute that to the kick of the turbo on the MSM. Not enough wow factor to get me to trade, but I am still impressed in general, it's a nice car overall. Lot of miata heritage in the look.

I grabbed some pics, but really wanted you all to see the one with the special edition badge. Here's the badge, the other pics are linked below for those interested. That design in the badge has a similarity to the first 1000 badge in the pontiac, no?

http://www.geog.ucsb.edu/~jeisz/other/vehicles/mx-5-nc/
16 pics in total

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You're gonna buy a Sol, Rodeo, I know you are!!

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Editguy said:
You're gonna buy a Sol, Rodeo, I know you are!!
:agree:

:thumbs:

·
Registered
533 Posts
From what I gather, the roll is more pronounced on the cars without the suspension package. Those on Miata.net who comment on the roll are largely those that drove cars with the base suspension. It would have been nice if Mazda offered that package on all the models, but you can only order it on the higer end models.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
So fill me in a bit since I'm not up on all the Miata suspensions.

They offer base and stiffer options?

Also, sounds like the MSM has some type of stiffer suspension package since Rodeo felt it in the NC?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
tcl said:
It would have been nice if Mazda offered that package on all the models, but you can only order it on the higer end models.
I suspect they may offer some kind of Sport option in the near future but right now they have to limit option packages to get the initial run of cars out the door.

Really all most people want is the LSD option with the 5sp. They would perfer to use aftermarket springs, shocks and sways. Most of those parts are ready for introduction at SEMA (Nov 1-4)

Solstice people should see a lot from that show also.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
mceb said:
So fill me in a bit since I'm not up on all the Miata suspensions.

They offer base and stiffer options?

Also, sounds like the MSM has some type of stiffer suspension package since Rodeo felt it in the NC?
Since 94 Mazda has offered a suspension package option.

94-97 was the R model with Custom spec Bilstein shocks, slightly stiffer springs, and a larger sways.

99-05 was basically the same with custom shocks, stiffer springs and a larger rear sway.

The MSM had it own suspension which is even stiffer than the Suspension Pkg.

Some like the valving of the Bilsteins, some don't and prefer adjustable shocks like the AGX and KONI.

The NC looks to be the same with custom Bilsteins and stiffer springs.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
RODEO said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

RIPOFF!

They might as well have stuck a plaque on the dash that says "We're jealous of Pontiac."

OMG that is too funny, that made my day already and I've only been up for 45 minutes!

:glol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Ah, that badge does look like a bit of a ripoff! :glol: But look, they have 3500 specially numbered cars. Maybe GM should have tried a few more too! :)

Nice pics rodeo. As before, the styling just doesn't do it for me in the pictures. I am anxious to see one in person to see if I like it better or not. Something about the front end seems a little plain to me.

The interior looks sharp. Different thant he Sol... not as much of a cockpit look, but still very sharp.

Interesting observations too! Body roll? I think your MSM is spoiling you! I cannot imagine a car that low to the ground having too much body roll! :lol:

Thanks for the pics and the writeup!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Ripoff???

Sure does... Lets see the Apprentice show was what, April right? Well Mazda showed the LE with the badge in March at the NY Auto Show. :eek:

Oh, and it's only 750 LE in the US. 3500 worldwide.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LBJay said:
Ripoff???

Sure does... Lets see the Apprentice show was what, April right? Well Mazda showed the LE with the badge in March at the NY Auto Show. :eek:

Oh, and it's only 750 LE in the US. 3500 worldwide.
Wasn't the badge on the 2005 NAIAS car? I am not sure now, and I cannot find a good interior pick of the car, but I thought it was. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Wasn't the badge on the 2005 NAIAS car? I am not sure now, and I cannot find a good interior pick of the car, but I thought it was. I could be wrong.
It would be strange to see the badge months before the F1K program was announced.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Actually, the Solstice silouette logo was on the car during the Apprentice shoot, which happened in October-November previous. It also showed up on the show car around the circuit early in 2005 (underneath was 1 of 1000, IIRC - the controversial badge that Chris didn't get a photo of, pics posted in Feb 2005 here http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=423&sort=1&cat=all&page=3 clearly seen between the steering column and radio, also here: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1109).

Either way, I was going to say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I suspect that maybe (just speculation) there may have been some cross-breeding influence from our GM-Mazda exterior designer???

I can see it now, "hey, when I was working on the Solstice, they have a badge that they will be putting on their first 1000 cars. We should do the same, except have 3,500 limited edition cars. Since I designed the badge when I worked there, and now I'm the boss of design here at Mazda, it should look like this:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1108 a pic of the Solstice for comparison.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts