Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought I would inform you all of some news (good and bad). My car was delivered today!!! :willy:

BUT, and I really mean BUT!

GM called after I had test driven it (I was signing papers calling the insurance etc...) and said it had to be sent back to Wilmington. They didn't say what the problem was or how long it would take. Just that they all had to go back to the plant for some fix.

I have mixed emotions. I finally got to see my car and drive it but now its going away!

I called the Solstice 800 number and they didn't know anything about this.

I really don't know anything else, but maybe someone out there does.

GMLINEDOG, do you have any info?

If you want I can post my impressions from my 5 mile test drive.

So the wait continues... :(

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Wow!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the experience......what was the VIN #? Mine is #242 and I expect delivery soon....I hope!!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The saga continues

Ok I have an update.... This all happened between 12 and 1 PM EST today... I have since got on a flight to go to work (sitting in an airport now between flights).

My dealer got more information since... It’s kind of patchy but this is what I know. There was some interior paint matching issues, and I have no clue what this means at this point I can only speculate (so I won't).

My car will not be going back to the plant b/c it doesn't have this problem. So I will be able to pick it up on Saturday (when I am in town again). Now some of you might be thinking the dealer did this so that they can show the car. In fact that’s not the case at all. I wasn't going to pick it up till the weekend anyway (and I told the dealer that). I just happened to be in town this morning due to travel issues.

I think Pontiac/GM got there message crossed somewhere. I just wish they didn't put me through all this anxiety.

The car looks better in person! Pictures don't do it justice!

BTW, I am number 60.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The Saga Ends......

scott1715 said:
Ok I have an update.... This all happened between 12 and 1 PM EST today... I have since got on a flight to go to work (sitting in an airport now between flights).

My dealer got more information since... It’s kind of patchy but this is what I know. There was some interior paint matching issues, and I have no clue what this means at this point I can only speculate (so I won't).

My car will not be going back to the plant b/c it doesn't have this problem. So I will be able to pick it up on Saturday (when I am in town again). Now some of you might be thinking the dealer did this so that they can show the car. In fact that’s not the case at all. I wasn't going to pick it up till the weekend anyway (and I told the dealer that). I just happened to be in town this morning due to travel issues.

I think Pontiac/GM got there message crossed somewhere. I just wish they didn't put me through all this anxiety.

The car looks better in person! Pictures don't do it justice!

BTW, I am number 60.
Good ending to a potential terrible story! :agree:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
That would be just like this saga for GM to let you have it and then take it back.... :willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
my impression

GradSoulStice said:
AAAAGHHHHH I'd die.... yeah please give us your impression.
Here are the first things that when through my head when I first saw (the salesman was pulling it upfront).

It looked great in motion!

Even though it wasn't cleaned yet Black with the polished aluminum wheels was the right choice for me.

I will reserve my comments for the interior b/c there was plastic covering just about everything.

Now the test drive.

#1 The exhaust note. This is the best sounding 4-banger I've ever heard. It definitely does not sound like your normal run of the mill four cylinder. Good job on the exhaust tuning Pontiac!!!

#2 The throws are pretty short (not the shortest I have ever experienced but they are short).

#3 To be honest the shifter was exactly where I thought it would be. This is probably due to the number of rental cars I drive. I had a G6 GTP rental last week (automatic with the triptonic shift or whatever GM calls it) and the shifter in that was much closer to my right leg. I think the more I drive it the more I'll like it, but I had heard a lot about the positioning and thought it would be in a different place. It may be a personal preference thing.

#4 The ride. For a small car with low profile tires it handled extremely well (very smooth for the short 5 miles I drove it). It can easily be a daily driver. Since I was only on a test drive, and since it is my car (and brand new) I didn't push it at all, but I know the handling will be there.

#5 The engine. I only took the engine above 3000 once and I took it up to 5000 in second. The ecotech does come to life as the RPMs go up, but not wanting to push it I backed off. I just couldn't resist ;) ... When I did this the salesman said, "Hey you don't want to blow it up!" I just mentioned that it was only 5000 and the redline on the tach starts a hair just under 7000. So that should tell you it sounds good at 5. I wonder what 6700 sounds like :) .

#6 I am 5'10 (maybe 5'11) and about 180 lbs. I was snug in the car. My head was just below the top of the windshield. I think I had the seat all the way back, but I will say I like my legs stretched out as much as possible. The seats do hold you in well. I the placement of the power windows are about 3 inches down from your wrist when your arm is on the armrest so its not in the best place and I didn't see the power door locks (perhaps its only on the key fob). Oh one more thing... You sit down low in the car which I really liked. It definitely gives you the feeling of sitting down in the cockpit of a racecar. Visibility out of the front is fine. I love seeing the hood flare up over the wheels!

#7 Shutting the rear decklid. This is something the salesman pointed out to me... You should close it shut with your hand in the middle and you have to use some force because if you don't it doesn't seat all the way down (the decklid will sit a centimeter or two above where it should be). It looks like the fit is off slightly but in reality it is not closed all the way.

More to come later possibly... I need a more time to think.... I definitely had sensory overload today!!! I did snap one picture with my cell phone. I just need to put in on putfile or something. (edit) See my avatar! Thats MY CAR!!! (edit)

Let me know if you have any questions. I am glad to contribute for once!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
scott1715 said:
There was some interior paint matching issues, and I have no clue what this means at this point I can only speculate (so I won't).

My car will not be going back to the plant b/c it doesn't have this problem.
There must be dozens of people out there waiting for their cars that just read this thread and they're having strokes about now...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Congrats on the car. Glad you enjoyed the drive. Getting closer to mine all the time. :)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I don't know if I could have let go. I'm glad it all worked out okay. Hopefully we won't see too many of these experiences during the delivery process.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I had to check my calendar ----to make sure today was not 4/1. We don't need cars going back, no matter what number.. Not good for the rollout.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
scott1715 said:
#7 Shutting the rear decklid. This is something the salesman pointed out to me... You should close it shut with your hand in the middle and you have to use some force because if you don't it doesn't seat all the way down (the decklid will sit a centimeter or two above where it should be). It looks like the fit is off slightly but in reality it is not closed all the way.
You are right about the deck lid. IMO, this is going to cause unnecessary complaints. I saw this on VIN #001 in Detroit. You need to make sure you push the top all the way down from the center. If you don't, when you close the lid, the sides of the lid and the quarter panels will look like they have a fit issue. You will think, wtf... flash back to why the car was delayed in the past. No worries, though. Just push the top all the way down....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts