Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else get this?

Oki_Sol

SI.com Launches Swimsuit Site
February 15, 2005
By Mike Shields

SI.com, the Web version of Time Inc.'s Sports Illustrated, has launched a Swimsuit site timed with today's release of the Time Inc. title's annual swimsuit issue.

The site, SI.com/swimsuit, will feature a selection of more than 200 exclusive online photos. The site will also include exclusive video, as well as a “virtual reality” scene in which users can "direct" an actual photo shoot from a variety of angles and distances.

In addition, for the first-time users can purchase a digital edition of the Swimsuit print edition for $5.99.

SI.com will also broadcast a live webcast, presented by Pontiac Solstice, from SI's Swimsuit Issue launch party in New York, at 8 p.m.on Tuesday.

·
4,592 Posts
brentil said:
mmmmmm swimsuits and Solsti. Sounds good to me. I'll check it out when I'm not at work. :D
just add pizza and your favorite beverage, and you're good to go :D

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
On the Solstice advert on SI.com they show a silver solstice with the two tone interior and the controls on the steering wheel. Below the car it says "*As shown $21,530. Tax, title, license, dealer fees, and other optional equiptment extra." As I understand it the controls on the steering wheel may be part of an option package. So $1530 for leather and whatever the wheel comes with seems OK to me!
Also says 177 hp and 166lb-ft torque. is torque down to increase hp? or was torque always 166? I thought originally it was 170 and 170.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
waiting said:
Also says 177 hp and 166lb-ft torque. is torque down to increase hp? or was torque always 166? I thought originally it was 170 and 170.
Yes, those are the revised #s 177/166. Original specs had 170/170.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The RPM and fuel shut off values have also risen as well. It used to be;

170 HP @ 6400 RPM
170 ft-lbs @ 4400 RPM

now it's;

177 HP @ 6600 RPM
166 ft-lbs @ 4800 RPM

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Looks like Pontiac as updated the Solstice section a little on the Pontiac website. Couple of new pictures for the PC desktop :cool:

Any idea if the Solstice will show up at this party tonight?

Nice that they are starting to publize it, things are starting to move along a little. Soon we'll have a press release with specs maybe :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
mceb said:
Looks like Pontiac as updated the Solstice section a little on the Pontiac website. Couple of new pictures for the PC desktop :cool:
Looks like there is a typo on the site... Look at the "Top Down Exhilaration" section.

There is an * that says the base price of under $20,000 does not include AC or manual transmission.

The manual transmission thing is what is wierd to me. Now, usually a manual is cheaper than an automatic, and we've been told there is not automatic version of this car to start with... so, what do you get for the $19,995... a CD player, 4-wheel disc brakes, a glass rear window, 18-inch wheels... and what kind of transmission??

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:

Any idea if the Solstice will show up at this party tonight?

Nice that they are starting to publize it, things are starting to move along a little. Soon we'll have a press release with specs maybe :yesnod:
They just updated it in the last 2 hours. Because I was jsut there about 2 hours ago to check something out.

The Solstice is now the front image of pontiac.com too.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Crud! I just missed the webcast. Looked like there was a solstice commercial right at the end, huh?

edit: apparently there will be an archive of it on the site by 10:30 PM tonight

·
Registered
120 Posts
okie_sol said:
Anybody else get this?

Oki_Sol

SI.com Launches Swimsuit Site
February 15, 2005
By Mike Shields

SI.com, the Web version of Time Inc.'s Sports Illustrated, has launched a Swimsuit site timed with today's release of the Time Inc. title's annual swimsuit issue.

The site, SI.com/swimsuit, will feature a selection of more than 200 exclusive online photos. The site will also include exclusive video, as well as a “virtual reality” scene in which users can "direct" an actual photo shoot from a variety of angles and distances.

In addition, for the first-time users can purchase a digital edition of the Swimsuit print edition for $5.99.

SI.com will also broadcast a live webcast, presented by Pontiac Solstice, from SI's Swimsuit Issue launch party in New York, at 8 p.m.on Tuesday.
What a ripoff! Five second shot of a model getting out of the Solstice. <sigh> At least there were bikinis.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Si

I didn't see a commercial but it says to check back @ 10:30 so maybe it will be replayed. They were interviewing all the girls in the issue but no mention of the Solstice

·
Registered
120 Posts
mceb said:
I saw no Solstice except for the pics that surrounded the webcast.
WEBCAST DETAILS:

For those who missed the webcast, there really wasn't much (Solstice-wise) to see. Here's what I recall, minus a tirade I was going to put in about how mentally stimulating it was to hear all the intelligent things the swimsuit models had to say. :)

The webcast was half an hour long and it was held outside some SI swimsuit issue launch party that you could sort of see in the background behind the hosts of the webcast. At the very start the male co-host makes a short introduction/welcome to the audience and complains that his co-host is late. He calls out her name several times, the shot pans over and there's his beautiful female co-host in a slinky dress is sitting in the Solstice. She apologizes that she's "late" and that she just arrived and gets out of the Sol. As she's walking toward the male co-host he asks what's sexier, her or the car. She laughs & says they're both about equally sexy.

And that's about it for the car (this takes us probably about 2 or 3 minutes into the webcast). For the remaining ~27 minutes it was just a series of live interviews of models in the latest SI swimsuit issue spliced between footage of their photo shoots on beaches, etc. They didn't even get in (or even *mention*) the Sol at the very end of the webcast. Instead, their wrap-up consisted of telling us that party would go on for hours and that they were going to get a drink. <sigh>

I didn't see any Solstice commercial at the end but perhaps I closed my browser window in dismay too soon.

The weird thing is that there was a conspicuous lack of "Pontiac" or "Solstice" spoken by either host. I don't even think the male host mentioned specifically that the car was the "Pontiac Solstice". I think when he joked about the car and his co-host both being sexy he just referred to the Sol as "the car" (!). Can anyone else who saw it confirm/refute this?

My two cents: I sure hope GM didn't spend a lot of money on this spot cuz IMO this didn't really raise awareness for the Sol at all. True, there were the ads on the webpage surrounding the webcast window but you'd think that if they went to the trouble of having an actual Sol at the party then they'd promote it a little more aggressively.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks ho2go, I did miss the part when she got out of the car and saw the rest :lol: . I'll check back at 10:30 for replay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts