Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone w/a Solo cat-back exhaust system noticed if their exhaust has gotten louder over time?

I had one installed in the coupe (not vert) a few years ago. Noticed it was louder when starting up in the garage, but during normal stop and go driving in town it was hard to tell that the car had a performance system. In fact the first year I had to asked my wife to drive up and down our road just to see if it sounded louder as she drove up and down the street. It was but not by much. However, over this past summer I've began to notice that I can hear the exhaust in the cabin, not annoyingly loud, just louder. Like I can finally tell the car has a performance exhaust on it now when driving around. So its got me to wondering if Solo exhaust systems have a break in period? Far as I know there are no leaks, but have yet to verify.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Normally, exhaust systems in our cars will get quieter over time, as the carbon deposits build up. This will usually take ~1000 miles or so (maybe a bit longer) and then level off.

If yours is getting louder, I would go looking for a leak straight away.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Try checking for a exhaust leak, Where the cat-back exhaust system attaches to the cat. With the engine running listen right below the passenger door.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Nope...the Solo gets louder.... Mine has gotten louder with time. As my new OEM cat wears in, it is getting louder.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'll run it in and have it put on a lift. If no leaks are found I'll assume Ghost is right. Then again maybe my hearing improving.

·
Premium Member
2007 Solstice GXP, Automatic,
433 Posts
Nope...the Solo gets louder.... Mine has gotten louder with time. As my new OEM cat wears in, it is getting louder.
:agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
453 Posts
My car has a stock exhaust and I've noticed that it has gotten a little louder. Sitting at idol, it has a bit of a deeper rumble and going down the road it sounds louder and more powerful. I know that there is probably something wrong with the exhaust but I like the sound so I've left it lol.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My experience is aligned with TomatoSoup's, but I wouldn't exactly say it has gotten quieter. Although it is still pretty loud, the harsh edges have been knocked off and it has gotten mellower.

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
In the old days...

Long ago...

When we bought cheap glass pacs for the noise, they did get louder as the sound deadening material literally blew out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
299 Posts
And it used to be if you put some water up in the glass pac bullets they would seem to burn off and get louder quicker ;)

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the old days...

Long ago...

When we bought cheap glass pacs for the noise, they did get louder as the sound deadening material literally blew out the tailpipe.
That's why I was wondering about Solo. But I consider Solo a premium exhaust that uses metal baffles to deaden and control sound? Or do some premium exhaust makers continue to use deadening material to control exhaust sound?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'm sure that muffler is empty. I did a lot of research when I had the 73 vette trying to figure out how to make the flowmasters quieter. there is no packing in there. I would think that you have a bad gasket / loose fitting making it louder. while over time you will get carbon build-up like soup said mnaking it quieter, i think you will also wear the inside out making it louder. It could be loose and what you hear is a rattle or vibration rather than exhaust. I drilled a couple small holes in the bottom and sprayed foam inside to reduce the rasp and hollow sound. worked pretty good.

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
I'm sure that muffler is empty. I did a lot of research when I had the 73 vette trying to figure out how to make the flowmasters quieter. there is no packing in there. I would think that you have a bad gasket / loose fitting making it louder. while over time you will get carbon build-up like soup said mnaking it quieter, i think you will also wear the inside out making it louder. It could be loose and what you hear is a rattle or vibration rather than exhaust. I drilled a couple small holes in the bottom and sprayed foam inside to reduce the rasp and hollow sound. worked pretty good.
Now that is an interesting idea. I never would have thought of that solution. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Back in the day, we would take the 3 bolt flange collector gaskets out and put washers in place of the gasket. I liked the Thrush steel pack mufflers with the header flange on the front back then. Came with the Clay Smith Engineering sticker that looked like Woody Woodpecker with an attitude smoking a stogie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts