Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLO PERFORMANCE has three exhaust systems for the GXP.

This thread features the "GXP-MACH" system.

This "GXP-MACH" kit was developed primarily for people that want quieter high performance. This system uses SOLO’s MACH series dual in dual out true X design muffler. Here are some attributes of our "GXP-MACH" system:

1) Dual Exhaust with the free flow MACH muffler.

2) Front section- Full 3" mandrel stainless pipe with laser cut stainless flange, stainless oxygen sensor bung, 3" double braided flex pipe and additional hanger bracket. This 3" section actually sits ¼" to ½" higher than the stock 2 ½” exhaust.

3) Rear section – A 3” in, 2 ½” dual out, stamped stainless Y pipe exits into two 2 ½" polished stainless mandrel pipes that enter a SOLO free flow true X design, ceramic and glass packed, polished stainless MACH muffler. Tails with stainless tips completes this rear section.

4) Sound- Quieter performance is what this system offers. A beautiful smooth sound.

5) Horse Power-

..............HP at the flywheel..........Torque..........Hp at rear wheel

Stock GXP........260........................235......... .........216............

GXP-MACH.......294........................243........... .......244............
and 3" cat

GXP-MACH.......279........................242..... .............232............
stock cat

6) Price: List Price........................ $799.00 USD
…….........Forum Discount Price..... $595.00
……....…...Pre Sale: ...................... $96.00 Discount for the first 20 kits sold.
……….......Shipping and Handling.. $99.00

Available roughly mid March 2007.

Please PM us for orders.

Here are some pics and videos. Please excuse the look of the prototype exhaust pipes and welds. They were road tested in the snow, slush and salt. The kit assembly will be a manufactured polished one piece unit.

Great care has been put into the making of these exhaust systems. We hope you enjoy them.

SOLO's "GXP-MACH" kit with stock cat...http://youtube.com/watch?v=51I3hcKyd9w

Attachments

·
497 Posts
Looks Great!

I just sent a PM but figured I should ask my questions here as other may benefit:

Reading these posts I'm torn between the MACH and Street RACE. I'm concerned the Street RACE version may be too loud.

I've listened to the videos carefully but am still undecided. You mention the RACE has no drone, is this also true of the MACH? I'm asking because it isn't mentioned and I just want to be sure. My GXP is a daily driver and while I want a more aggressive sound (better tone, deeper rumble) I want something I can live with.

Do you offer the 3" Cat too and if so, how much for the complete kit?

Finally, in locating a local shop for installation, do you have any information that will be helpful to someone to estimate the installation labor cost?

I'm sorry for all the questions but your kits look amazing and I'm very interested.

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi DClocal. The MACH system also has no droan. The Street Race system isn't all that loud. The agressive tone that it has really never gets out of hand. However if you put the free flow cat with either the Race or Street Race kit it becomes loud. The free flow cat and the Mach system sounds about 10 percent quieter than the Race version with the stock cat. From what you were saying I would probably suggest the Street Race with stock cat, or the Mach with free flow cat. Our free flow cat has yet to be tested long term. We need to test it to see if it's free flow nature trips the engine light etc. Flanges (laser cut stainless) should be ready in about 10 - 15 days. Then we can get Shabby's car back and start the testing. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Heres a pic of the mach kit.

There is no drone with any of these kits, me and Jeff drove all the kits and theres no drone at all.
The race kits are not that loud, its only when you add the cat to the mufflerless kits that makes it loud. But if you add the 3" cat to the mach kit its still quieter then the race kits with the stock cat.
Imo the race kits with the stock cat are still quieter then any exhaust kit for the base solstice.

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re Labour costs. Any of our GXP kits can be installed in less than 1 hour by a qualified garage. They really should only take about 1/2 hour. The converter on the other hand would take 1 to 2 hours. It's much more difficult. The engine has to be raised just to get the stock cat out. As for warranty you can do anything from the cat back without any warranty issues. When you change the cat is when it gets into muddy waters. Its always best to check with your dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Calling around myself lately I've found most shops will charge 1 hour of time, usually at about $80 per hour. Also from calling shops willing to do pre-dyno, install, post-dyno I've found prices range from $150~$200.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah be very careful on touching the Cat... I have talked to the service people the other day and asked them straight out.. They told me changing it before (cant remember the exact amount of miles) but it was around the 15000 mark.. said it would void the warranty if a problem happens. Really don't see how that would matter

Calling around myself lately I've found most shops will charge 1 hour of time, usually at about $80 per hour. Also from calling shops willing to do pre-dyno, install, post-dyno I've found prices range from $150~$200.

·
Member FDIC
1,025 Posts
Re Labour costs. Any of our GXP kits can be installed in less than 1 hour by a qualified garage. They really should only take about 1/2 hour. The converter on the other hand would take 1 to 2 hours. It's much more difficult. The engine has to be raised just to get the stock cat out. As for warranty you can do anything from the cat back without any warranty issues. When you change the cat is when it gets into muddy waters. Its always best to check with your dealer.
You have to raise the engine to change out the cat? That's, well that's, nuts. I've never owned a car where I couldn't easily swap out the cat myself with some ramps or jack stands. Not sure I feel comfortable with a shop lifting the engine. I could have swore there were some other members who changed cats and there wasn't a mention of having to raise the engine.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts

Theres no other way to pull the cat out, look at the size of it, its one whole piece. This isnt a typical cat like on the regular solstice or any other car, it sits in the engine bay with tight clearences. Go look for yourself how tight of a fit it is.
Maybe Jeff can clear up whats involved in pulling it out, but i think he mentioned putting a jack under one of the motor mounts and lift it like an inch or so. Wiggling it out is the hard part.

·
497 Posts
On the fence

I stopped by my dealer today to talk with the service folks about the cat back. They pretty much said not problem whatsoever from the cat back… As far a changing the cat, it “could” be an issue if some future engine problem was attributed to the cat swap. The service manager indicated that he “needed to tell me that” but that it was most likely not an issue. Well, kind of wishy-washy but it made me think it would be worth it.

Now that I realize the 3” cat requires lifting the engine I’m very hesitant. As JUSTICE mentions, I too am not really comfortable with the idea of having to lift the engine. I need to think about this. I really want the new cat as it seems to offer a significant gain.

What will the price of the 3” cat be, either separate or with the kit?

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, the "street race" tips are longer because there is more room for them due to the way the system is bent. On the Mach system the 90 degree tails don't offer enough room to use the same tips. When the car is on the ground and you look at the shorter tips they look really good and appropriate to the car.
The cat: Lifting the engine isn't as hard as it sounds. Our hoist lifts the car by all four wheels, they are drive on ramps. 1) Remove 15 ml. nut from lower right side motor mount.
2) Support engine at motor mount brace where it fastens to the block ( this is a real strong point) with a heavy duty jack stand. 3) Let hoist down about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. This raises the engine and allows enough room to get the cat out. 4) Twist and wiggle the cat out from the underneath side of the car. Be careful, the body panel where you do have to be to wiggle the cat out has very sharp burrs on it. If Those burrs are anything like they were on Shabbys car you may want to file them down before starting. 5) Slide new cat in and reverse process.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Can this exhaust be easily adapted to the base Sol? I would think you could extend or cut to adapt to the attachment point to the base Sols cat. I'll be installing the Werks turbo and would love to have this exhaust.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Can this exhaust be easily adapted to the base Sol? I would think you could extend or cut to adapt to the attachment point to the base Sols cat. I'll be installing the Werks turbo and would love to have this exhaust.
The base and gxp exhausts are the same except for the outlets, so if the stock exhaust bolts up to the werks turbo then so can this gxp exhaust.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are there any soundclips yet of the MACH with the hi-flow cat??

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Are there any soundclips yet of the MACH with the hi-flow cat??
I drove with the mach and hiflow cat but we dont have any clips. Its not much louder then with just the mach system and sounds almost identical, and definetly quieter then the street/race setups.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I am having mine installed on saturday with the hi flow cat and will try to post sound clips.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
<----I am one of the test dummys, I mean subjects:yesnod:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts