Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 176 Posts

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi. Just to answer a few questions that were asked. The "Street Race" systen is much lighter than the original system. Sorry, we don't have exact weights, but the the difference is considerable. Brentil is right, there is no welding etc. that needs to be done with any of the systems.They are very user friendly and require only basic tools to install. We tried to pay a lot of attention to detail so that the kits would easily interchange and be friendly to work with.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What warranty issues... just bolt the stock exhaust back on ;)
You make a good point ;) I wonder how long until the cat is available.

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cats will be available next week but I would like to get them on a few test cars before we offer them for pre-sale. It's important for us to offer the product and be able to know what to expect from it. We hope to have the testing done within two weeks or so.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
<-----Test Dummy:leaving: lol. I mean Subject. I should have mine next week sometime. :) SOlO I also pmed you

·
Registered
89 Posts
You don't have to be local to be a test car?? Damn, I always assumed you had to be.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
swsome cant wait till i het mine next week

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Hey Everyone...Here are some pics of our "Street Race Kit" that is now available for shipping. If you have any questions, concerns or orders please do not hesitate to PM us. Thanks
Ohhhh looks so nice and shiny. :D

I'll have to get that back half from you guys after I get the Race version installed and dynod this coming Thur so I can use it with my hitch. ;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
came home today and the coffin like box was sitting there with the Street Race exhaust and the high flow cat. Here are some interesting insights and tips.

I had an advantage since I have a lift in my garage, therefore, making this mini project far easier. I would not suggest changing the cat on the ground unless you enjoy pain. Here is the good and bad.

1. As everyone has said the exhaust comes off extremely easy. It is no more then a one hour job if you are doing the exhaust only. I would say the exhaust came off in less then ten minutes. There are only two bolts holding it on, plus the slip-on hangers.

2. The trick to taking off the hangers is merely do one at a time and get a large screwdriver and push the rubber off the hanger, using silicone spray also makes it easier.

3. Most of the fasteners/bolt are threaded into studs or threaded inserts making it easier to remove. A small impact tool also helps.

4. Most of the nuts and bolt heads are 15mm.

5. The hardest part on my car was the upper cat fasteners. These are 15mmm nuts. When they assembled mine at the factory they cross threaded one of the studs. If you find this condition make sure you use a six point socket.

6. The four upper cat nuts are hard to get to. If you have a 15mm racheting type box wrench it makes it far easier. Make sure you spray these with a penetrating oil prior to removal. It help to rotate the clamp on an adjacent hose to get it out of the way.

7. The O2 sensors require a 22 mm wrench or a 7/8" sae wrench. It was interesting that the lower O2 sensore was hand tight and was leaking exhaust and sucking in air.

8. As has already been stated, you have to jack up the engine about 3/4" of an inch. This only requires the removal of one motor mount bolt. I have a jack plate on the lift and used an electric jack and a small piece of 2X4 to lift one side of the engine. The problem with doing this on the ground is that the second jack is going to unstabilize the first jack and/or jack stands.

9. There is a small bracket that bolts the bottom of the cat to the side of the engine. I found it easier to remove this (two nuts) when pulling the cat. As a matter of fact the cat just fell out with this bracket off.

10. The band clamps work fine. I have used them many times before. The key is to torque them to 50 ft-lbs. Less than 50 and they will pull out and more than 50 and they sometimes strip. You will need a deep well 9/16" socket for these clamps.

11. The last step is to band clamp the two outlets pipes. Only tighten them lightly, then, go to the back and align the tips in the cutouts. Now you can tighten them all the way.

OEM exhaust and cat: 53 lbs
Solo race exhaust and cat: 33 lbs.

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Cat Update. I believe we will have a fix as early as next week for the engine light. A very good electrical mechanic friend says he will be able to splice a small circuit board next to the computer and this signal will "fake out" the computer and turn off the engine light. The information that I have now for this fix is that any qualified mechanic can do it in under 1 hour ( it's not that hard ) also the price for the parts will be under $100.00 We are also pursuing a "true" fix but with the sensitive nature of GM's O2's this may take some time.
I'm on holidays till the 17th of March. My partner Dave will answer any PM's, questions, orders, etc. For anyone with install questions please call Zoro-Mississauga at 905-897-6833.
Thanks Jeff.

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi RaptorRon. We are currently working on getting all the GXP info. on our web site. The best way to order is to call Jeff at 905-703-1557 or Dave at 905-691-2863. We just need your shipping address, telephone, and visa or M/C info. If you feel comfortable you can also PM us your information. There are still a few Street Race kits available at the pre-sale price and are ready for shipping. Thanks for your interest.

·
2,574 Posts
Hi. Just to answer a few questions that were asked. The "Street Race" systen is much lighter than the original system. Sorry, we don't have exact weights, but the the difference is considerable. Brentil is right, there is no welding etc. that needs to be done with any of the systems.They are very user friendly and require only basic tools to install. We tried to pay a lot of attention to detail so that the kits would easily interchange and be friendly to work with.
A question for you guys, GoingSolo,
Comparing the Race system to the Street Race system (forgetting about the freeflow VS oem Cat issue for the moment) will you comment on the flow of the straight 3" Race system VS the single 3" into the two 2 1/2" out Y pipe design of the Street system. Specifically, do the combined two 2 1/2 and 2 1/2 pipes (total 5") offset the affect of any restriction that may be caused by the inclusion of the Y pipe junction in the Street version VS the continued straight 3" flow of the Race kit? Thanks, -bird

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
Bird,
There is no difference between these two setup, the Dyno showed the exact same WHP for both.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
A question for you guys, GoingSolo,
Comparing the Race system to the Street Race system (forgetting about the freeflow VS oem Cat issue for the moment) will you comment on the flow of the straight 3" Race system VS the single 3" into the two 2 1/2" out Y pipe design of the Street system. Specifically, do the combined two 2 1/2 and 2 1/2 pipes (total 5") offset the affect of any restriction that may be caused by the inclusion of the Y pipe junction in the Street version VS the continued straight 3" flow of the Race kit? Thanks, -bird
I just got my Street/Race version, I'll have it installed soon to do testing with. Talking to goingsolo he thinks the Race version will ultimately provide the best performance. Splitting the exhaust is going to introduce an increase in restriction over the straight through design of the 3" Race kit. The Street/Race also weighs about 11 lbs more as well (still lighter then stock though).

Finalization will be within the next couple of days, but I'm 95% sure I can say the SP-Street/Race kit DOES work with the Curt hitch with 0 modification required to either. I'm pretty sure their kit is the only kit that can claim that at this time. Like I said, final clarification will be soon, it fits with all the parts hung I just need to clamp them all down once aligned.

·
2,574 Posts
I just got my Street/Race version, I'll have it installed soon to do testing with. Talking to goingsolo he thinks the Race version will ultimately provide the best performance. Splitting the exhaust is going to introduce an increase in restriction over the straight through design of the 3" Race kit. The Street/Race also weighs about 11 lbs more as well (still lighter then stock though).

Finalization will be within the next couple of days, but I'm 95% sure I can say the SP-Street/Race kit DOES work with the Curt hitch with 0 modification required to either. I'm pretty sure their kit is the only kit that can claim that at this time. Like I said, final clarification will be soon, it fits with all the parts hung I just need to clamp them all down once aligned.
Thanks Brentil,
Yup the split pipes obviously weigh more but I'm not going racing so keeping a little weight to the rear is ok with me.(I wont miss that clunky muffler one bit, though) Good luck with the hitch working out.-bird

·
2,574 Posts
Bird,
There is no difference between these two setup, the Dyno showed the exact same WHP for both.
LV,
As long as it's in the ballpark I'm good with it. I'm happy with this selection and thanks for your input. If they crack the ecm so it doesn't throw codes I'll probably go with the freeflow cat in the future. It's a fine product. Really great material, awesome tips and beautifully welded.;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks, Jeff.

I just got my system installed today, and it is indeed as advertised. Anyone who might be 'thinking' about getting one should go ahead and just do it. Throttle response is more crisp and now the car sounds correct. Well done.

21 - 40 of 176 Posts