Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Wasnt the p2177 code thrown because of the combination of the cat and intake? I havent gotten any p2177 codes with my cat.
I can tell you though that with the latest fix that we came up with theres no check engine lights at all, i've done over 200 miles and all is well. Normally it took around 25 miles for the light to come up.
If by the end of next week no lights come up, then this fix might be the first true fix for the gxp with a hiflow cat.

As for the 3 way cat, i think our choices are rather limited seeing the size of cat that is needed for the downpipe.

·
Member FDIC
1,025 Posts
So will you then be making new cats that will be setup specifically to work this way? Is there any extra wiring or hardware needed, or is it just a matter of moving things around and adding a sensor input for the cat?

Can anyone else comment on Jack B's post about regular aftermarket cats not working since the oem cat is somehow different than other cats? I can't really see how you would lose power, or gain none at all, buy removing the oem cat and adding a high flow. I can understand some code throwing issues, if that is what you mean by "cannot be used", but that's more of a computer issue than a part issue.

·
2,574 Posts
Hi Shabby,
Do you have a (butt-dyno) observation regarding performance during the last 200 miles with the updated free flow cat in view of Jack's comment? Thanks;)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I dont know why JackB had a powerloss, before he mentioned the ecm was cutting boost to 8psi due to the p2177 code which was thrown by the combination of the cat/intake/exhaust, maybe he can chime on what he removed to get rid of the p2177 code.
But a free flowing cat is going to flow more no matter how emission friendly it is or not. You can see through this cat with ease so it definetly flows more then the stock one, and the dyno numbers proved that.
I've had the cat/exhaust for a month now and the power is still there.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I dont know why JackB had a powerloss, before he mentioned the ecm was cutting boost to 8psi due to the p2177 code which was thrown by the combination of the cat/intake/exhaust, maybe he can chime on what he removed to get rid of the p2177 code.
But a free flowing cat is going to flow more no matter how emission friendly it is or not. You can see through this cat with ease so it definetly flows more then the stock one, and the dyno numbers proved that.
I've had the cat/exhaust for a month now and the power is still there.
Shabby:

I think the power loss is more associated with the CAI. I took off the high flow cat because I did not want multiple DTC/issues confusing the diagnostics. I also don't think it is going to be possible to get rid of the cat related DTC's (see my comment on the NOx reduction).

All that I can absolutely say is that when the LTFT gets into the 20-25% range, the code sets and and/or the power is reduced. I am also getting a code that indicates the MAF is out of range. I am pretty sure that the power loss is controlled by the throttle limitation and boost control.

I am not sure all these codes are gone, only more time will tell. It seems that the LTFT has stabilized at 18%. It also appears that it is the stop-and-go driving that pushes up the fuel trim.

·
Member FDIC
1,025 Posts
So you are saying that with the exhaust, cat, and CAI, the ECU completely screws everything up and you actually lose power? There must be someone else that has all three.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just got the Street Race Kit installed today and I love it, It's just right. Great sound and great service by SOLO .

Thanks Jeff, the guys at the Mississauga shop are great Jack and Ray.

Happy Customer
Iggy

·
Registered
784 Posts
So you are saying that with the exhaust, cat, and CAI, the ECU completely screws everything up and you actually lose power? There must be someone else that has all three.
Yes - the ecu has a range of LTFT that cannot be exceeded, when that range is reached, the car goes into a limp-home mode. Don't get me wrong, prior to setting that DTC, the car has more power. When a car is stock, the ltft should theoretically be zero, as the car is modded, the ecu tries to trim or offset the increased air with more fuel , thus, the LTFT gets larger. At some point the ecu thinks something is broken and sets a code.

An example might be a bad injector, the LTFT would increase trying to offset what the ecu sees as a lean condition. As more and more trim are added, the ECU at some point must put a stop to the scheme of adding fuel, that is when the DTC is set and the car goes into limp mode. My hope is that there is a series of parallel trim offsets and the ecu is smart enough to ratchet up to the next set of algorithms or trim multipliers. It does make any sense that GM would take a competition capable engine make it incapable of being upgraded.

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Just got the Street Race Kit installed today and I love it, It's just right. Great sound and great service by SOLO .

Thanks Jeff, the guys at the Mississauga shop are great Jack and Ray.

Happy Customer
Iggy
Hi Iggy. Sorry I couldn't be there. So glad your happy with your kit. Thanks.

·
Member FDIC
1,025 Posts
When I finally get a new ECU, hopefully (please someone figure it out), I'm going to take my old one and bash it with a hammer. Stupid computer ruining all the fun.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
When I finally get a new ECU, hopefully (please someone figure it out), I'm going to take my old one and bash it with a hammer. Stupid computer ruining all the fun.
It won't be an entirely new ECU. Whatever tuner cracks it will just "flash" a chip in the ECU with a new program.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just a quick note to let everyone know I put the Street Race exhaust system in 2 days ago and WOW what a difference. Install was straight forward. The hardest part was getting the old exhaust off the rubber hangers. It's better to jack up the rear and right front of the vehicle for the install. Sound difference is quite noticable. It lets everyone know you are comming when you hammer on it. Crusing above 3rd gear and 4k RPM it is quite tame and no droan with the top down or up. I have no dyno numbers but I feel a bit more kick from a standing start. Drove it for about 100 miles yesterday and heard no clunking or rattles or sign of a leak so I think it will be good to go. (Gonna look under there in a bout a week and retorque all the bolts just to be sure.

FYI:

Exhaust --> Cat bolts torque 17 Foot pounds
Band Clamps --> 50 foot pounds

Jeff was a pleasure to work with and had my kit to my house in about 3 days. Packing and condition of the unit was top notch!! If you don't mind the noise this is a GREAT kit. Thanks Jeff and thanks Solo for making my Mean GXP sound like it should!!

Too bad they couldn't throw in some hot wings from Buffalo, that would have made everything just perfect!!!

Pics / sound clips to follow

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Street Racer

I just wanted to mention that I had several people ask what exhaust I have on my car this weekend on the Tail of the Dragon run ....becuase they just loved the sound..... Of course I have the Solo Performance Street Racer....and I highly recommend it :) :thumbs:

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hi. We're so glad you are enjoying your Street Race kits. Thanks for the nice reviews. Tail of the Dragon, I have to do that run one day I hear it's amazing. Morfious, we had the wings all ready to ship but they looked so good we ate them all. Oh yeah, we have a few things coming on line very soon. 1) Single exhaust for the N/A. 2) Header for the N/A. 3) GXP Cat - We finally have a mechanical fix for the engine light problem. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Hi. We're so glad you are enjoying your Street Race kits. Thanks for the nice reviews. Tail of the Dragon, I have to do that run one day I hear it's amazing. Morfious, we had the wings all ready to ship but they looked so good we ate them all. Oh yeah, we have a few things coming on line very soon. 1) Single exhaust for the N/A. 2) Header for the N/A. 3) GXP Cat - We finally have a mechanical fix for the engine light problem. Thanks so much.
Ya! Single exhaust for the NA! Is it going to be the mach or the race? I hear the Mach is the quietest right? The race I think would be too loud for me so I would want a muffler.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just want to let everyone know that I still have the rear sections of a street race exhaust for sale. Only need to add the 3" pipe from cat to Y-section.
Only on car for two weeks.

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Our N/A single exhaust uses the same front pipe that is on the SQR-1 and SQR-2 exhaust kits. This front pipe incorporates our Quantum resonator. The rear section is a 2 1/2 polished stainless mandrel bent pipe that goes into out Storm series muffler. It sounds great under load, nice and powerful but with no droan. We need to do our final dyno and fit ( next week ) and then they should be ready to go around the end of August. Hopefully all goes well next week and we can post a thread with sound clips and dyno charts on the 25th or so.
Anyone in Jwally's area that is interested in the Street Race please contact us. I'm sure you will get a very good deal if the shipping can be avoided. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
So it looks like I won't be going to Nationals in Las Vegas now.. so instead of driving out there to get my Street Race exhaust for my GXP, looks like I'll need to order it.

Just wanted to check on pricing and make sure the price listed on the first page is still good. Also, trying to swing a deal from work to drive my car out there... I think I need to head to Cambridge and Hamilton soon, so just down the road from you guys. Maybe I can get work to pay for my trip there!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I just PM'd them yesterday and it's still $549 with shipping.

61 - 80 of 176 Posts