Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 N/A and is wanting to buy some solo headers. Do the headers bring in more "real" power? It says +7 horsepower and +10 torque, is this accurate and can you tell a difference? I also may buy a high-flow cat to go along with the headers, so would this be a good combo to run?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Get a tune first, I am not sure who still sells one for the N/A, tune made a huge improvement when I had my N/A. I think maybe Westers Garage still sells one, don't know if Trifecta ever did an N/A tune.

I have dealt with Solo a lot, great honest guys.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a tune first, I am not sure who still sells one for the N/A, tune made a huge improvement when I had my N/A. I think maybe Westers Garage still sells one, don't know if Trifecta ever did an N/A tune.

I have dealt with Solo a lot, great honest guys.
the trifecta tune is for the N/A as well as the 2.0, i think that would work good with a tune and some solo headers and high flow cat..

thanks

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Just remember (from what I've read) it's best to make any mods such as cat, header, etc BEFORE the tune to take full advantage.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
OK I didn't know Trifecta did a tune for an N/A, the N/A ECM is made by Delco and the GXP is made by Bosch, totally different software but no doubt Vince can do it. I don't agree on the order get the tune first, that will get you more than anything else performance wise, then when it's not enough you haven't spent a ton of money and you can just go buy I GXP, that is exactly what I did.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
It's my understanding that the budget tune works by updating the ECM software to what is the "general" update to various programming variables. You then run the car for a bit (datalogging is enabled) and you send data files back via e-mail. The programming variables are then "tweaked" for your particular results. Hence if you're using different headers, hi-flow cat, etc. the program is adjusted for your particular "environment".

If you tune first, then mod, your programming isn't "tailored" for the new engine set up.

lil makes a very good point about the end results though. From what I've studied the header, cat, exhaust, etc. can make marginal improvements in performance. (My hi-flow cat, purchased when the factory POS couldn't be found ANYWHERE for warranty replacement, did gain me about 3 mpg and gave my N/A a little more of a snarl at the tail pipe.)

Again from what I've read, the tune doesn't gain a whole ton of improvement net on HP and torque, but getting the nanny controls out of the equation results in a much snappier throttle response so overall performance is improved.

So, as lil states, how much money do you want to spend? If $300 on a tune gets you 85% of the performance gain you'd get total with a tune, header, cat, exahust, where do you spend the money?

I'm thinking this spring the hi-flow goes back on then a tune is ordered for our N/A. That's because I already have the hi-flow so I couldn't see tuning without it on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not hating on a gxp there fast but I love my solstice and would have more fun building on the 2.4, it's a fun experience even struggling with money for a turbo.

Top 3 things I plan on getting is solo headers and high flow cat and I think I like werks tune so far. I plan to order at least 2 in 2 weeks (which is after my honeymoon!) and possibly all 3 if I don't spend too much on the honeymoon.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Spacing out mods around a honeymoon. If that marriage survives THAT it's meant to last! (And congratulations!) lol!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol yeah, I've been told to wait until afterwards, been together about 5.5 years and she's tired of hearing about my car lol so yeah I agreed to wait until after

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

1 - 10 of 10 Posts