Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Solo Hi-Flow Cat question

4K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  ChopTop 
#1 ·
I've tried emailing Vince with this question, but unfortunately did not get an answer.

I have a custom Trifecta Tune. I also have a couple of mods - Dejon Inter-cooler and charge tubes - Solo exhaust - Dejon CAI.

I am looking to purchase / install a Solo Hi-Flow Cat. My question is whether I need to do a new tune to 'tell' the system that something has changed or will it simply adjust the necessary parameters automatically? Solo claim something in the range of a 30 HP increase. This is a significant increase, and just wanted to make sure I am going to get 'all I can get'.

#2 ·
The tune should learn the new hardware. To get maximum performance, check with the tuner and see if he has an update specifically for your configuration. The GMPP tune will adjust to any mod made.

Most have measured 16 to 18 WHP gain with the Solo HF Cat.:thumbs:

#3 ·
Agree - no retune needed unless you add a larger turbo etc.

#6 ·
In my roadster, the combination of the HF cat and magnaflow cat back was too quiet for me. It did not drone, but you could hear it purring along at cruise. My LS is actually quieter at cruise than the 2.0 was. Maybe because of the insulation I added and the fact that at cruise its turnning 1500 RPM.

#8 ·
It's gonna be a different beast in that coupe though. All the sound that you trapped in the trunk now bounces off the back glass... I have a Solo street race with the resonators in, and it drones at highway speed. I'm actually going to take it out and put the stock back in (OK, with the HF cat) until I can get something fully custom done.

Oh, and that's with a full SDS sound deadening kit in...

#7 ·
I thought the GXP would have a lower tone and be a bit louder than the 06 but the 06 is louder and sounds better. when I get on it and it raps up over 3500 I get a cool brrrrrrp sound and I don't get that in the GXP. Of course, on the GXP, I have to slow down by the time I get to 3500 but still, was hoping for some sound. I have a SOLO hi flo cat and probably the street race system combo on my list. I'm getting the trifecta budget tune next week and once I change out the exhaust, I'll probably get a CAI and then get the full tune. fun, fun, fun.

#12 ·
Thanks for your input. Drone was my other concern. Do I be brave and try it? It's an expensive mod to take back out if the level becomes unbearable. mmmmmmmm!!!????

#13 ·
Which Solo exhaust do you have? Like Matt, I tried the HF CAT with a street race with added mufflers and it wass a no go. I went to a Mach system and the CAT is fine now. You might be able to do it with a Mach shorty, but anything else I'd say no for sure.

#14 ·
Hey Bill, so the HF cat and the solo street race was too loud or you had bad drone or just didn't sound good period? I'd like to find something with a nice low tone but I don't want the rasp on accel and I sure as hell don't want the annoying drone at cruising speeds.

#16 ·
The drone affects the coupes only. The convertibles seem to be immune from that.

#15 ·
I have the street race and had the high flow cat....till the dealer cut the cat off to do my wp this last spring. No drone...and the car sounded mean. Most Mustangs thought I was a joke until I left them behind....

#18 ·
SOLO Performance GXP Mach Performance Exhaust & High Flow Cat

That's what I have on my GXP and love it!

#20 ·
I have Solo Street Race (no mufflers) and love it. I had several guys on Woodward that loved the sound of mine.

#21 ·
I just ordered the Solo catless and is going with the stock exhaust for now. I'm expecting a much better sound, someone have a sound clip of a GXP with catless and stock exhaust?

#23 ·
I finally ordered the Street Race also... I'm just worried if it will be too much noise without the cat... Will install after my holiday back in Spain :)

#28 · (Edited)
Might be pretty loud!

That Street Race with no cat is going to be pretty darn loud!(possibly borderline obnoxious) You don't have a coupe do you? I'd say no way with a coupe, (from what I've heard about the cabin noise) ...hopefully you like it, post videos when you can!

EDIT: just saw your sig clearly states you have an 07 GXP

#24 ·
If anyone is near Vancouver BC and wants a new street race with the special mufflers installed, let me know - it was too loud with the HF CAT and I had to switch. Had it on there a week. Pick up only.

#25 · (Edited)
Crosspost

I recently contacted Solo regarding their HFCC (already have GMPP + Mach Shorty cat-back system on a coupe).

This is Jeffs from SOLO response:

Unfortunately yes. The fact that the top is hard means that the vibration doesn’t dissipate ( by hitting a soft top ) as it travels upward. We do have a few people with the Coupe and a HF Cat and Mach-Shorty and they have put our Solo MR212S resonators in the back ( two of them by the rear band clamps on either side ) and this makes it OK but still not recommended or 100%.

Feel free to call me about this tomorrow if you like. Thanks so much for your interest.

Jeff
SOLO PERFORMANCE INC.

MR Resonator Series | Performance Exhaust
MR212S/Inlet, Outlet 2½"/Body Length 15"/Length w/necks 19"/Diameter 4"/Price: $122.82

#26 ·
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f103/exhaust-transformation-sound-clips-82345/
Here is a post of my exhaust(hf cat and street race)...I know it's not a coupe, but it's definitely loud when you want it to be, but you can always keep it stock quiet by shifting one gear higher...I feel like now I can be as loud or as quiet as I want to be

Oh and when I installed my HF Cat, Vince said no retune was needed

#29 ·
I went thru this a while back and Ghost posted some sound clips. the street race and HF cat is loud. HFcat and catless with stock muffler is still quiet. I like the mach shorty with stock or HF cat. that's the way to go.

#30 ·
I like the mach shorty with stock or HF cat. that's the way to go.
Try that set-up in a coupe and get back to us because Jeff from Solo says cabin drone is unacceptable for coupe owners. Wish it wasn't true because I'd like to add a HFCC to our coupe, but current thinking seems to be that while a performance exhaust + HFCC is acceptable in verts it isn't recommended for coupes (even with additional exhaust resonators).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.