Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Read the previous coupe drone + Solo threads before ordering and if I interpreted Jeff at Solo remarks correctly, he said the Solo Mach Shorty System would not need resonators. Had my doubts after it arrived because the Solo muffler is around 1/3 the size of the stock GXP muffler.

Granted I’m not in the passenger seat and didn’t take it for a long drive (maybe 20 miles) but I didn’t hear any drone. That or my hearing isn’t as acute as others or I haven’t driven it with the system installed long enough. In fact if anything, I was hoping it would be a tad louder. However, since our GXP is an automatic maybe that could be playing a role?. About the only time I could hear an appreciable difference was when it was parked in the garage (in neutral) and gunning it. Its louder than the OEM system but still wasn't producing any drone. About the only thing I heard is a little exhaust crackling/popping when I released the go-pedal.

Performance wise it did feel a little more peppy, but can't provide any numbers to verify the feeling. Plus it already has the GMPP installed. Hope is the 2.0 (260hp) w/GMPP (290hp) + Solo Shorty pushes it to close to 300HP (RWH?) right now.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Read the previous coupe drone + Solo threads before ordering and if I interpreted Jeff at Solo remarks correctly, he said the Solo Mach Shorty System would not need resonators. Had my doubts after it arrived because the Solo muffler is around 1/3 the size of the stock GXP muffler.

Granted I’m not in the passenger seat and didn’t take it for a long drive (maybe 20 miles) but I didn’t hear any drone. That or my hearing isn’t as acute as others or I haven’t driven it with the system installed long enough. In fact if anything, I was hoping it would be a tad louder. However, since our GXP is an automatic maybe that could be playing a role?. About the only time I could hear an appreciable difference was when it was parked in the garage (in neutral) and gunning it. Its louder than the OEM system but still wasn't producing any drone. About the only thing I heard is a little exhaust crackling/popping when I released the go-pedal.

Performance wise it did feel a little more peppy, but can't provide any numbers to verify the feeling. Plus it already has the GMPP installed. Hope is the 2.0 (260hp) w/GMPP (290hp) + Solo Shorty pushes it to close to 300HP (RWH?) right now.
Thanks for the review Lowlife. I am trying to decide which exhaust to go with myself.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I forgot to mention is the Mach Shorty system in our car doesn't include the high-flow catalytic convertor (in fact I forgot to even ask about it when ordering) that's probably plays a significant amount w/cabin drone & sound quality.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
So we now have your reference point - Mach shorty with stock CAT = OK

And mine: Street Race with added sausage style mufflers, high flow CAT = No Good
Mach system with high flow CAT = OK

So now we need someone to use a high flow CAT with the system you have......

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi LowLife1, thanks so much for your order and your review. There is a marked difference in the sound of the system from inside to outside. The inside is fairly refined while the outside is a raw, rich beautiful exhaust note. If you can let someone drive your car fairly hard as you listen to it standing on the outside you'll get a much better idea of how it sounds. Also we never recommend the Solo High Flow Converter on the coupes as the extra noise volume of the converter creates the drone that travels right up the back window. Any of our exhaust kits work on the 2.0L Coupe just stay away from the converter. Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
So we now have your reference point - Mach shorty with stock CAT = OK

And mine: Street Race with added sausage style mufflers, high flow CAT = No Good
Mach system with high flow CAT = OK

So now we need someone to use a high flow CAT with the system you have......
Another reference point: Street Race with added sausage style mufflers, stock CAT = borderline. I like it most of the time, but every one in a while it resonates.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Also we never recommend the Solo High Flow Converter on the coupes as the extra noise volume of the converter creates the drone that travels right up the back window. Any of our exhaust kits work on the 2.0L Coupe just stay away from the converter. Thanks!
Mach system with high flow CAT = OK on a coupe

Anything noiiser, forget it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts