Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about upgrading my stock exhaust. I snooped around on the internet and came across Solo's Mach Shorty, which is Solo's mid-range kit. I would like my 07 GXP to sound a little more aggressive, but not obnoxious like some of my small town's teenagers drive around with.

A couple buddies I play hockey with are mechanics, and they told me not to bother with a new exhaust as it won't make a 2L engine sound good. Does anyone have the Mach Shorty, or advice about what I should do?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I am thinking about upgrading my stock exhaust. I snooped around on the internet and came across Solo's Mach Shorty, which is Solo's mid-range kit. I would like my 07 GXP to sound a little more aggressive, but not obnoxious like some of my small town's teenagers drive around with.

A couple buddies I play hockey with are mechanics, and they told me not to bother with a new exhaust as it won't make a 2L engine sound good. Does anyone have the Mach Shorty, or advice about what I should do?

Thanks.
Can't go wrong with a Solo Mach Shorty IMHO. If you have a good sound system on your computer click on the link below to hear my Shorty. Keep in mind that I also installed the Solo free flow Cat for additional power. It gives the Mach Shorty more volume. So if you go just with the Shorty, it will not be a loud as this. Sorry for the squealling tires but you should be able to hear the exhaust. I only did this donut thing once so I wanted to video it. BTW I still have lots of tread on the tires at 32,000 Km.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/show-your-kappa-doing-burnout-63534/#post961825

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
The cat back Mach Shorty is slightly louder than OEM (muffler's about 1/3 the size of OEM). Trans plays a part too in that a manual allows you to hear the exhaust shifting notes due to being able to wind out the gears more than an auto.

OEM unit is unbolted from cat (only reason to cut it would be packaging/transportation reasons).

·
Registered
203 Posts
You won't get much more power unless you also get a high-flo cat from one of the vendors here. I run a Mach and a HF cat. The MACH is a little more mufffler to offset the higher cat noise. The HF cat gets you an additional 20 HP and torque. You'll have to have someone weld on the different O2 bung so install cost would go up.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
While I don't exactly agree with everything posted above, I think you will like the Solo Mach or Shorty, they will both give you the same performance the Mach is just quieter. I had the Street Race (no muffler) it was really loud with the high flow cat, replaced it with the Mach and get compliments on how good my exhaust sounds.

You can improve or reduce performance with an exhaust but 20hp is a bit much, you might see that at the very high end on a straight pipe system. You can modify the torque with an exhaust so it certainly feels like 20 hp, it's torque that gets you down the road.

·
Registered
871 Posts
We have the Solo Mach...love the sound of it and the performance as well and definately a major upgrade from stock and the drive to the 2013 NASSM in Flagstaff will be a hoot for sure.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
If you can give me a day, I will post what my Solo Street Race exhaust sounds like. It is more "throaty" then the others. I will post inside and outside so you can make a decision. My guess is you'll go with the shorty cause mine can get rather loud.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the Solo rear center duals and I believe they are supposed to sound like the Shortys.

Here are some videos of the stock exhaust and the RCDs.

Stock:

RCDs:

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Here are mine, from outside and inside....

·
Registered
848 Posts
While I don't exactly agree with everything posted above, I think you will like the Solo Mach or Shorty, they will both give you the same performance the Mach is just quieter. I had the Street Race (no muffler) it was really loud with the high flow cat, replaced it with the Mach and get compliments on how good my exhaust sounds.

You can improve or reduce performance with an exhaust but 20hp is a bit much, you might see that at the very high end on a straight pipe system. You can modify the torque with an exhaust so it certainly feels like 20 hp, it's torque that gets you down the road.
:agree:

I don't recall any of the vendors stating 20hp. I think Solo mentions 10HP with the HF cat. And several people that have also messed with the exhaust as an "upgrade" reported no improvement or slight loss (though they liked the sound).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Solo's site claims
"GXP Catalytic Converter-Stats:
• 15 HP increase, 8 extra foot pounds of torque increase
GXP Mach Shorty-Stats:
• 19 HP increase, 7 extra foot pounds of torque increase"

How much of that is real world and how much is marketing ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts