Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I posted a request for info on a throatier sounding muffler for the Solstice. One of the respondents suggested using one of our site sponsers, Solo. I found someone selling a Solo exhaust system in the Trader and made plans to purchase it. Turned out I could not use it on my car and had to back out of the deal. Went to the Solo website, found the axle back kit and decided to try that. Product in my hands in two days! Half an hour after Fedex delivery, I started the installation. Stock muffler came off no problem. Wow! That thing looks the size of an oil tank behind a country home! Tear down and assembly did not take long and not difficult at all. Only drawback to the job was a thunderstorm that popped up. I am half in/half out of garage...legs outside on concrete driveway getting rained on. Large lightening bolt and very loud thunder close by...time to give up and go inside...do not want to get electrically-cuted!!! Storm over, go back to finish up. Car back on the ground but raining again. At least get to fire it up and does sound a bit louder. Tomorrow promises a dry morning so will take the car out for a spin at that time

Guess I am going to have to wash and wax the cars finish to match the shine of the SS muffler!

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks! I'll be interested for your description of the sound difference. I've thought about this same mod for mine...

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went on a 20 mile or so round trip drive today to check out a used car I'm interested in. Started off behind a '65 VW bus (New York license plate said 65 bus!) and his exhaust was so loud, I could not hear mine!!! Finally on my own and the new muffler does give out a nice tone with just a bit of burping and gurgling on deceleration to a stop. Personally, I was hoping for more decibels but it is much better than the stock way to quiet muffler. I am pleased with money spent...

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
News Nugget!...went on another drive in the surrounding countryside this morning, on some local twisty, turny roads. Got on it a bit and yes, I sure do like the sound from the Solo muffler. Found myself going through the gears a bit faster than normal and then realized this muffler is probably going to cause me to ruin my good gas mileage! With the stock catalytic converter, will a Solo header add a bit more sound out the rear?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Probably, but the turbo acts somewhat like a muffler. Probably call Solo as ask if they recommend header or HFC.

I know I continue to considered the HFC (bought Mach shorty cat back system) because while it is louder than the OEM system on start up, once I start driving I don't hear it that much which is why I've thought about adding Solo HFC. But it's also an auto so I don't get to wind through the gears which can make manuals exhaust sound louder than auto exhausts. However, due to reports of HFC causing cabin drone in the coupes it has me second guessing.

Makes me wonder with your EDAG top + HFC if cabin drone could turn into an issue for you?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Why did you not purchase the cat-back exhaust? That extra wider down pipe makes a big difference. I installed one on my dad's Solstice nad it wasn't to loud, just enough for him to like it and for me to wish it was louder. But I'm allot younger so I think it's an age preference thing. Still had to be a little bit louder than just replacing the mufler.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main reason I did not purchase the entire kit is due to money constraints. But after I get done playing around, I may wish that I shoulda-hadda bought the whole thing!

Talked with Jeff at Solo P and he suggested for the money and for what I want, the addition of the hi-flow cat would be my best bet rather than the header. Kind of expensive but guess I can save my nickels and dimes and try to purchase one next month.

My poor MG's must be getting very jealous sitting next to the Solstice and not getting the money that they used to attract!

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
My poor MG's must be getting very jealous sitting next to the Solstice and not getting the money that they used to attract!
Watcha got? MGBs? Their value is holding pretty well, especially for chrome bumper models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts