170 / 127 @ 6400

Torque (lb-ft / Nm) @ rpm:
170 / 230 @ 4400

Transmission:
MW5 Aisin 5-spd manual

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love that they are using 18-inch wheels, stock - that is awesome, as I think GM has been slow to move to larger wheels on a lot of their cars. GM does need to realize that the wheels often make or break the looks of a vehicle. Why do most concept cars look so much better than production? Because of the nice 19 and 20 inch wheels they use, with almost no body gap.

Infiniti is a great example to follow - most of their production vehicles now have large wheels, with minimal body gap - makes for a much more aggressive look.

Luckily, looks like the Solstice will that too! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good points. Almost any car can look good with bigger wheels and little gap. Take a great body style like the Solstice and it looks too cool with big wheels.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The next Miata is suposed to be under 2200 lbs. It is getting more hp also. I hope that Pontiac comes out with the forced induction soon. They may need it to compete.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Are 245/45/18's the actual production spec? That is a tall heavy tire and rim combo. It may look nice but it's a little excessive for all but V8's really. You can still make a car look good with slightly smaller wheels if the openings/wheel arches are designed properly. Besides wheel gaps are more a function of suspension height than wheel size. A 215/45/17 is only a 0.5% smaller diamater than a 245/18/35. I hope the base size is a 225/45/17 myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They are large wheels but they look good. I wouldn't be surprised to find the big wheels only on the SC version or a sport option package.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmmmm...the Power:Weight ratio is slightly worse than my wife's Sentra SE-R, but the Solstice's RWD will ensure that it hooks up correctly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
340hp sounds good to me :D really good but i dont think that they will be 15psi from the factory and if u are gonna add a aftermarket turbo/supercharger you will void the warranty.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Scissors said:
Indeed. Running 15 PSI through it should boost the output into the 340 HP range.:party
does anyone have any info on what type blower is supposed to be on the car? if they put a low c.i. eaton with the intake cast into the outlet, im sure as hell gonna get the NA version.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mitchpin12 said:
340hp sounds good to me :D really good but i dont think that they will be 15psi from the factory and if u are gonna add a aftermarket turbo/supercharger you will void the warranty.
You're right, they probably won't--but they could. The engine will likely be easily able to handle that kind of boost (with a compression ratio drop.) Two atmospheres is not unheard of. I believe there is a production car right now that makes 19 PSI or so.

·
Registered
281 Posts
mitchpin12 said:
do a search on the magnuson-moss warranty act. it explains really well what can and cannot be voided and when.:wink

·
Registered
275 Posts
Autocrossing

Since the weight is similar to the last Fiero, it is likely that a 245 section tire, while able to fit an 8.5" rim, is better suited to cruising and viewing than in an autocross unless in a soft racing compound (in which case other things are likely to be overstressed).

The problems is that too much rubber is difficult to load sufficiently to work propely. If you look at a load vs sideforce diagram you see a cliff on one end (overloaded) but a fairly steep slope on the other (underloaded) and a fairly narrow region where the tire really works for you.

This is particularly true with street (hard) compounds found in D.O.T. approved tires required for stock classes.

The second is that for serious cornering you want a vertical sidewall so that side loading, even with a very low sidewall, will increase the contact patch rather than decreasing it. Again dedicated racing tires can handle cantilevering a lot better than street tires.

My pick for stock class autocrossing would be something like a Kumho Exta MX in 215x35x18 which have nearly straight sidewalls (8.7"), would be easy to load, and short enough to help the gearing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts