Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I missed this... tried to search the forum for it but couldn't find it easily.

The Solstice has dual front airbags if I'm correct...

Now, are either of them easy to disable?

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
576 Posts
The passenger side is disabled by a switch in the passger seat. It is only on when the seat is occupied. A light on the dash indicates it status.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, so you can manually disable the passenger air bag permanently if need be?

Good.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think the "switch" is in the seat. (only activates when someone is sitting in it). I don't think there is a manual switch.
Is there?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ask because I need to know if I can disable it for the purposes of using a child seat on occasion.

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I was under the impression that it required a certain weight in the front seat before it activated the passenger airbag. In other words, it wouldn't activate unless somebody over a certain weight (that could be considered to be an adult weight) was sitting in it. I don't know for sure ... but it seems I read that somewhere. Maybe somebody with an owners manual can provide a scan of the relevant info.

EDIT: Here's an old thread I found discussing it ... http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1970

It does appear to be weight-based.

·
Registered
15 Posts
passenger airbag possibilities.

I too do not like a airbag that can't be manually shut off. If it's done by weight and the car had a light person sitting in that seat in case of a accident that threw people around a child could be thrown back onto the seat with enough force to simulate a heavy person activating the airbag. Lots of factors could help out, like the seat's if they are adjustable so the bottom part can be adjusted so the person is leaning back with the bottom raised a front end crash could force them down into the seat raising the mass of the person to where it could activate the airbag. That is just gussing at a possible action but one where I would really prefer to manually disable that airbag. Murphy's law and all that stuff you now. If something can go wrong it will go wrong one way or another....

·
Missing my Dad 9/40-5/08
330 Posts
No, there is not a switch to turn off the passenger side airbag. Yes, there is a weight sensor in the passenger seat that turns the airbag on and off. My 8 year old (rode in it once) did not turn the airbag on when she sat in it, but my almost 10 year old did the one time she rode in it.

I would be very leary of putting a car seat in there. (it does have the disclaimer on the visor about not placing a car seat in the front. they should be buckled in the back. HA HA) Maybe the dealer could install a switch if it is needed. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
hmm i thought it was a law that they had to put in a switch to deactivate the passenger side airbag if there was no rear seat to place a child restraint.. even my 2004 Silverado that has the passenger sensor has a switch to turn it off for a child seat.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
the weight would probably be set for like 50lbs. or something... a babyseat and baby won't weigh near that much.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
its 100lbs, i think.
well, then... you could stack like four babies on top of eachother !

·
Registered
576 Posts
:( The owner's manual has several caveats regarding the use of child seats in the car. It states that while designed to not activate, problems could.....
It also states that rear facing baby seats are not really recommended.....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Fortimir said:
well, then... you could stack like four babies on top of eachother !
what if your wife or girlfriend weighs less than 100 lbs?
I think it is much lower than that, I can lean over and press my hand into the seat and turn on the one on my truck. I am pretty sure that is it between 40 and 50 pounds.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Classic66vair said:
what if your wife or girlfriend weighs less than 100 lbs?
I think it is much lower than that, I can lean over and press my hand into the seat and turn on the one on my truck. I am pretty sure that is it between 40 and 50 pounds.
Not only do they have to account for the weight of the child and the car-seat, but also in how tight you crank down the seatbelt to hold it in place. Don't they also have to include the top attachment point for car-seats?

·
Registered
278 Posts
one thing you could do to disable that sensor permanently, or temporarily is to unplug the electrical lead on the bottom of the seat which connects to the switch. with that switch disconnected, the circut will always remain open therefore the airbag will not ba active...follow my logic?

·
Registered
106 Posts
From the current 2006 Pontiac Solstice brochure:

"Set within the passenger cushion is a highly sophisticated sensing system, gathering information on an occupant's wieght and size to determine whether the dual-stage air bag should deploy at full or low capacity - if at all - to offer the best protection."

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
tednelson83 said:
one thing you could do to disable that sensor permanently, or temporarily is to unplug the electrical lead on the bottom of the seat which connects to the switch. with that switch disconnected, the circut will always remain open therefore the airbag will not ba active...follow my logic?
Sounds like what I did back in 1974 to my Camaro when they put the driver's seat starter interlock for the seatbelts... you couldn't start the car without the seat belt plugged into the buckle when someone was sitting in the seat.
just had to unplug the seat switch...
the problem with doing that to your airbag is if you unhook it and someone is riding with you in an accident and get hurt you have opened yourself up to a lawsuit...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts