Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does the differences between the Solstice and the Sky reflect geographic tastes? The Solstice is oh so American looking, the way a sports car should look. The Sky on the other hand looks like it should wear a Toyota badge. I wonder if this was done on purpose, as after all, Saturn is GM's "import fighter". Later!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
CalBear said:
Is it just me or does the differences between the Solstice and the Sky reflect geographic tastes? The Solstice is oh so American looking, the way a sports car should look. The Sky on the other hand looks like it should wear a Toyota badge. I wonder if this was done on purpose, as after all, Saturn is GM's "import fighter". Later!
I actually thought the same thing. I much prefer the look of the Solstice. Perhaps the Sky is styled to attract the Generation-X crowd.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
PubliusE said:
I actually thought the same thing. I much prefer the look of the Solstice. Perhaps the Sky is styled to attract the Generation-X crowd.
Not this Gen-Xer! :nonod: I'm thinking it's more for the Gen-Y crowd. What's funny is that in five years the Solstice will still look fresh, while the Sky will start to look dated. Curves never go out of style!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I'm 18 and I find the Solstice to be MUCH more appealing. Especially the interior.

Generation-Y is anyone who was born between 1979 and 1994.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I completely agree. When I first saw the sky, I though wow that's sharp. But after comparing it to the Solstice, I realized it just didn't appeal to me anymore. The lines of the Solstice will definitely stay young for many years to come while the lines of the Sky will age.

·
Registered
56 Posts
CalBear said:
would u have bought the Sky if the Sol wasn't going into production?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
PaulWall said:
would u have bought the Sky if the Sol wasn't going into production?
No. I also would never have thought about purchasing a Miata. Pontiac got a sale out of me for a product that I would have never considered the competition.

Also, I honestly just hate seeing the Saturn badge. I know it's "a completely different company that it used to be." But I really can't get over the Saturn badge. Call me fickle. That and the interior just looks like an unrefined mess JUST like the Miata.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Time for one of the Sky fans to speak up...

I prefer the looks of the Sky. As a matter of fact, on all of the forums I'm on (alot of them) the vast majority of people prefer the looks of the Sky. The most common complaint about the Solstice is the very rounded/blunt facia.

Both cars are beautiful, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For every post here about how "import" the Sky looks, I can show you a double the amount of posts on other forums about how American the Sky facia looks, with the Solstice facia looking like a volkswagen bubble car.

Of course the majority of people here are going to prefer the looks of the Solstice, hence the name of the forum...

IMHO, both are very beautiful cars with differing looks, yet both very American in style. Just remember that even people here compare the Solstice to foreign cars such as the MGB, Jags, porsches, etc. so for every time the Sky is compared to a "rice burner" it's also compared to cadillac xlr, dodge viper, and chrysler crossfire...

·
Registered
292 Posts
SkyCaptain said:

I prefer the looks of the Sky. As a matter of fact, on all of the forums I'm on (alot of them) the vast majority of people prefer the looks of the Sky. The most common complaint about the Solstice is the very rounded/blunt facia.

Both cars are beautiful, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For every post here about how "import" the Sky looks, I can show you a double the amount of posts on other forums about how American the Sky facia looks, with the Solstice facia looking like a volkswagen bubble car.

Of course the majority of people here are going to prefer the looks of the Solstice, hence the name of the forum...

IMHO, both are very beautiful cars with differing looks, yet both very American in style. Just remember that even people here compare the Solstice to foreign cars such as the MGB, Jags, porsches, etc. so for every time the Sky is compared to a "rice burner" it's also compared to cadillac xlr, dodge viper, and chrysler crossfire...
:agree:

I'm a Solstice person, hopefully before Christmas, and I come here to read about the Soltice and the people that are looking foward to getting their own. This shouldn't become the Solstice vs. Them Forum. I say to each his own. If everyone one liked the same thing in an automobile it would be very boring. My 2 cents worth. :)

·
4,592 Posts
Well said Skycaptain.

:agree:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I just noticed the title said "rice burner". That's not cool. :nonod:

I think the Sky is a nice looking car, but the sharp lines will date it. Not that it will become ugly, but it will not be timeless. Some great cars have had sharp lines and are classics (60's Vette), but not timeless (54 Vette).

But to each their own right? One thing that has bothered me about the Sky is that it will have the same top and rear hing trunk setup as the Solstice. I think Saturn should have put a traditional top on it and given it a normal trunk. That would have made the two cars look a lot more different. Since the Sky is highend, a usable trunk might have been handy. Also the effect of more rear overhang would have really made the two cars look different. Oh well, we can't all be Auto Executives. :lol:

Again, I like the Sky. It just doesn't do it for me. Kinda like blondes. ;)

·
5,600 Posts
I don't see any Japanese design in the Sky at all. In fact, it looks more European than anything else - not surprising owing to it's British design heritage. If I had to call it one or the other, Japanese or American, I would say modern American in the Cadillac XLR or Dodge Viper mold. But Japanese? No way.

IMHO, Japanese design tends either to one of two types. Either mostly amorphous, indistinct, inoffensive shapes with some Japanese detailing or Techno-Disco-Comic book weird styling. If Porsche or Pinninfarina were to rework a Mazda RX8, I guarantee it would result in a beautiful car to my eyes, instead of the weird looking car I simply cannot get used to.

No, I don't see any "rice" design in the Sky at all. In fact, it is a gorgeous car with modern lines and if, as someone asked, the Solstice was not being built then I would be chomping at the bit to by a Sky.

As much as I prefer the "classic" looks of the Solstice, I can't guarantee I won't end up buying the Sky after I test drive them both back to back. Maybe the interior will be the deciding factor or maybe I will simply prefer the Sky's looks when I see it in person sitting next to a Sol.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SkyCaptain said:

Well said, Sky' - couldn't have said it much better.

You should also be aware, CalBear is our resident "probationary Troll" ;)

We'll see if his posts improve on the maturity level.

Back on topic, I've had a chance to talk with many different people on which design they prefer. Honestly, for the most part, it's a reasonably dead heat tie. One time, I'm reasonably sure the Sky is the more preferred design, then after talking with several more people, the Solstice is the definite preferred design/shape. I believe (going by memory) that GM's results show a slight preference for the Solstice.

One thing is for sure, nearly everyone has a definite preference for one or the other. I prefer the Solstice, you prefer the Sky, we both agree that each has it's own beauty or attractiveness. This is an indicator that GM is playing the game right - IF they nailed the performance aspects of the car.

I've seen that each forum seems to have a different "flavor" that colors the preference.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Why hasn't he been banned yet? In less than 24 hours he's started 3 of the most useless threads and made 18 posts... All of which are non-constructive. He's RUINING the good vibe of this community!

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
There's a subtle but IMPORTANT difference between 'curves' and 'rounded'. That Pacer is 'rounded' (and ugly :lol: ). Curves usually require hips, or something to breakup the lines of the car. Like this. :cool:

Of course, everytime I see a Pacer I think of Wayne's World! :D

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Hey, the Pacer was just ahead of it's time. If Honda can sell the Element, then the Pacer would have been a smash hit in todays market ;)
Backt to the topic at hand, I think I might have considered the Sky if there hadn't been a Solstice. I guess I'll never know. GM must think the Sostice will be a bigger seller, because they projected higher numbers for the Sol. Or is the Sky being introduced midyear?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts