Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the "Zoom-Zoom Live" even here near Dallas today. While standing in line for one of the courses, I noticed that there appeared to be an S2K and Solstice sitting in a back lot away from all of the courses near what looked to be some equipment brought in for the event. I asked one of the Mazda reps what was up with it and he said he didn't know, but that it was probably there so that they could train dealers throughout the week and let them compare the cars.

After the event, we managed to find our way over to it and get a closer look. IIRC, it was grey and, looking through the window, it had a 1st 1000 plaque on the dash. After seeing this I checked the VIN. I believe it was number 491.

So...how did Mazda get a hold of a 1st 1000 in order to train delears how to sell Miatas?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
johnsilvernb said:
So...how did Mazda get a hold of a 1st 1000 in order to train delears how to sell Miatas?
They bought it just like everyone else?

·
Registered
729 Posts
You think the Solstice could still be there now?? Is it in an area accessible to the public??

I am in Fort Worth, and I would like to see it if I could!!

- bspate -

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You think the Solstice could still be there now?? Is it in an area accessible to the public??
I imagine it's probably still there today. If you go to the RX-8 driving school tent, and look across the course, there should be a couple of 18-wheeler trailers and several parked cars. The Solstice was in the group of parked cars along with a BMW Z4, Honda S2K, and several Mazdas.

I believe you can get over to it by driving down Loan Star Parkway. You should see the cars and trailers on your left. Make a left at the little gate there. If the person at the gate badgers you, just act like you belong there and that you're going to the parking lot with all of the other cars. Then, just park in the driveway to the parking lot and walk around the gate to see the Solstice.

Alternatively, once you're in the Mazda event, you can drive through the parking lot, through some coned off areas, and act like you know where you're going. That's what we did and no one seemed to take much notice...

Hey at the zoom zoom live event do they use all automatics like they did for the mazda rev it up?
No, from what I could tell, automatics were in the minority. A couple of the events had two seperate lines, one for the manual transmission, one for the automatic.

They bought it just like everyone else?
Good point, maybe they were just lucky and got theres delivered on time. But of all the people to deliver one of the first 1000 to... :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Was it VIN 000491 or VIN 100491?

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

brentil said:
Was it VIN 000491 or VIN 100491?
If it had the plaque on the dash as was mentioned it would be a 1st 1K and therefore 000401.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
CanSol said:
If it had the plaque on the dash as was mentioned it would be a 1st 1K and therefore 000401.
I've seen cars at the AUto shows with the plaque on them, which is why I asked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't remember. I guess I was just trying to rember all of the digits after the zeros and didn't take note of whether or not there was a 1 in front of the zeros. Sorry. :confused:

·
5,641 Posts
6Y000491 is Sly, 6Y100491 (which is GM's car) is not.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: No
General Conversation: No

·
Registered
391 Posts
johnsilvernb said:
If you had or have $30,000+ you could have got one of the First 1000 from EBay. Or go to the "cars for sell" on this forum and buy one from them. No line, no wait no list, just have MONEY and you could get one too.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I went to the Zoom Zoom too, had a blast, but didn't notice the solstice. I wasn't looking for one, though.

The MX-5 was a hoot, and was easy to drift at will.

My buddy lost it and slid completely off the course. Man was he embarrassed.

I turned a 33.8 time, which wasn't great, but I thought it was pretty good compared to most of the crowd, and for a first effort.

The car felt light, and maybe a little under-tired, but agile as could be.

I wouldn't buy one, however, because it's still just a little too small to be comfortable for me. It's definitely roomier than the NB though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts