Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the forum for a while and have not seen any discussions on the lack of a power top for the Solstice. This will be my first convertible and I am a little worried about having to stow the top by hand. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Apparently you haven't been following long enough, because we've had several discussions on this topic before. :D

There are many other convertibles, especially Roadsters that have manual tops. Automatic tops add complexity, weight, eat up valuable trunk space, and add cost to a car. Seeing as how this is a back to basics Roadster the idea of a power top also really doesn't fit the design.

You say you have worries about stowing by hand, but what really are your worries? It'll take less then a minute to put up or down supposedly. We've had people post who have actually gotten to put the roof up/down and they've said it could easily be done in about 30 seconds with practice. They're usually very easy to operate too. The systems are usually designed to let most anyone with any level of strength lifty/let down. The only real issues with the Solstice top will be the buttresses on the back of the roof.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yea we've heard like 30 seconds. I guess only thing manual takes away is being able to put it down in traffic while moving. I can live with that for the cost/weight savings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reponses guys, it does alleviate my concerns somewhat. I was a bit worried that it would be a compicated task.
Great work moderating the forum also.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
orlsol said:
Thanks for your reponses guys, it does alleviate my concerns somewhat. I was a bit worried that it would be a compicated task.
Great work moderating the forum also.
Don't get me wrong, the buttresses are going to take some extra effort. You're going to have to get out of the car for sure to put the roof up, and I'm betting a 95% chance you'll have to get out to put it down too. However the process is still supposed to not take to long. You should be able to do it at any stoplight that you know takes longer then 30 seconds.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It's a Roadster, one expects to have to work to take the top down.

Convertibles are cars with power tops.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
It's a Roadster, one expects to have to work to take the top down.

Convertibles are cars with power tops.
Unless you have one of the upper class Roadsters. New C6 Corvette, Boxster, XLR, etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
brentil said:
Unless you have one of the upper class Roadsters. New C6 Corvette, Boxster, XLR, etc.
But consider that it's taken 50+ years for the Vette to get a power convertible top.

The Solstice top isn't hard to put up or down. Especially down. You need to get out to close the decklid, but that's about it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
ddecart said:
But consider that it's taken 50+ years for the Vette to get a power convertible top.

The Solstice top isn't hard to put up or down. Especially down. You need to get out to close the decklid, but that's about it.
:agree: The sol/sky should have a power top within ten or fifteen years (hopefully)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A power top on the car, the way it is designed, would be a highly complicated piece of equipment with a ton of moving parts, servos, motors, etc. Not only would it be costly and expensive, it would probably be a reliability nightmare!

I think the manual top is a worthwhile compromise in light of the fact that it stows completely out of view when it is down. I wish they could have found a little more trunk room, but it has been compromised much more by the need to have a gas tank than the top.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fformula88 said:
A power top on the car, the way it is designed, would be a highly complicated piece of equipment with a ton of moving parts, servos, motors, etc. Not only would it be costly and expensive, it would probably be a reliability nightmare!

I think the manual top is a worthwhile compromise in light of the fact that it stows completely out of view when it is down. I wish they could have found a little more trunk room, but it has been compromised much more by the need to have a gas tank than the top.
oh, ill agree with that. seeing the trade offs, i think they made an excellant choice. im just saying that they will probably do a restyle in about 7 years and maybe another in about 14 years. somewhere in that restyle the top is likely to get modified or changed in some way or another. my guess is that GM will try to work in a power top option. maybe they wont, but im just saying it wouldnt take me off guard if they do.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
swatthefly said:
oh, ill agree with that. seeing the trade offs, i think they made an excellant choice. im just saying that they will probably do a restyle in about 7 years and maybe another in about 14 years. somewhere in that restyle the top is likely to get modified or changed in some way or another. my guess is that GM will try to work in a power top option. maybe they wont, but im just saying it wouldnt take me off guard if they do.
Who knows. They could. I just don't see it as a priority in this class of vehicle. I'd think they would be more likely to design a quicker, easier to use manual top that still completely stowes from view as this one does. Lack of a power top doesn't seem to hurt low cost roadsters, and adding power just negatively affects weight, which can have a big impact in this size of car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I'd think they would be more likely to design a quicker, easier to use manual top that still completely stowes from view as this one does.
:agree: I have a manual top now and I love the fact that I can put it down and back up in less than the time you can put a power top down. And you can do it while you're coasting to stop at a light, etc. ... literally a two-second operation. Would be nice if they could perfect that on this car ... hopefully they can do it without compromising the look.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Fformula88 said:
:agree:

Excellent point. It's just another thing to break or wear out, like hidden headlights.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't see the worry. With this car, you should stop frequently anyway so that the admirers can have a look and pat you on the back.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Pure roadsters don't have to be a pain

Should have done that, the S2000 for this summer part. As it is heading toward 86F (30C) today, by the time the Solstice is delivered it could be -30C as it was last December.

The only roadster I ever owned was a '67 MG Midget with wire wheels.

To remove the top you had to undo 7-8 dome fastners across the windshield, two behind the doors, slide the bottom edge out of two notched receivers on the rear deck, fold the vinyl top carefully so as not to crease the plastic windows. Pull the framework out of the sockets on each side, break it down into two parts and fold those flatish and stow them in the trunk too (and yes by now there wasn't much usable trunk space) but there was space behind the seats.

Solstice is still a "Pure Roadster" without this kind of hassle or the complication, weight and expense of a power top.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
have had both

orlsol said:
I have been following the forum for a while and have not seen any discussions on the lack of a power top for the Solstice. This will be my first convertible and I am a little worried about having to stow the top by hand. Thoughts?
I had a Dodge Shadow with a mechanical top, and now have a '97 Eclipse Spyder with a power top. Both have advantages, and limitations.

Mech top was easy to use and faster than the power top (as long as you are fast, that is). It worked fine all the time. Only drawback was getting out of the car to do it. Not a biggy.

Power top is nice. It has spoiled me as to the convenience. I put the top down while my garage top is going down, and up the same way when I come home. It's nice, and only takes about 12 -14 seconds. Only drawback? It has two motors to power the top. A couple months after I bought the car the first motor went out and was replaced under warranty. Couple years later the second motor went out. Fortunately, I got the extended warranty and it too, was covered. Now the warranty is expired. If they go out it will cost at least $500 EACH to replace them. That's at original prices, probably more now. And I don't believe that includes labor.

Which would I pick given a choice? Probably a power top. They always have a mechanical backup feature anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Should have done that, the S2000 for this summer part. As it is heading toward 86F (30C) today, by the time the Solstice is delivered it could be -30C as it was last December.

The only roadster I ever owned was a '67 MG Midget with wire wheels.

To remove the top you had to undo 7-8 dome fastners across the windshield, two behind the doors, slide the bottom edge out of two notched receivers on the rear deck, fold the vinyl top carefully so as not to crease the plastic windows. Pull the framework out of the sockets on each side, break it down into two parts and fold those flatish and stow them in the trunk too (and yes by now there wasn't much usable trunk space) but there was space behind the seats.

Solstice is still a "Pure Roadster" without this kind of hassle or the complication, weight and expense of a power top.
On my '67 MGB I usually left the top attached at the back with it laying behind the seat. It had two clamps on the header and only a couple of dot fasteners that were useless anyway once the top shrunk away from where they would fasten. A minute flat to remove the ribcage (2 piece and fold) and stow in trunk.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Out of curosity, how much do those motors weight?
Maybe 2 or 3 pounds. They're a little smaller than a beer can. But remember, you don't have the wireing harness for them either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts