Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I just found this site last night and am very excited I did. I am ordering a Solstice this Saturday and was wondering if anyone could help me decide what options would be best because I am not sure I need all of them.

I am going to get the power, convenience, and leather packages. Also I am going to get AC and ABS for sure as well as the 5 Speed. What are your suggestions for the Limited-slip differential? I was going to get the MP3-capable cd player as well as XM. Does anyone have any info on the quality of the Monsoon premium 7-speaker system? I have heard some factory installs are not very good and wanted to know if anyone had any info on it before I ordered it. Also should I get the carpeted floor mats and the chrome plated wheels? Onstar I was looking into as well, if anyone has any comments on that it would be appreciated.

As far as colors go I was looking at the steel-sand 2 tone leather interior with either the Mysterious (black) paint or the Cool (Silver) paint.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I am sure you guys know a lot more about this car than most anyone else.

Thanks

Ray

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Welcome, Ray.

There's tons of information here, try the FAQ or the Site Index for specific questions (links available in my signature).

If you have something specific (and since you are new) but don't find it in the Site Index, please let me know, as I am adding items as questions come up.

We had a couple of threads talking about options. I'll give you just my opinion, but remember, opinions are like a lot of things - but chief among them is that they are worth what you pay for them :lol:

... not always, but point is take my opinions with a grain of salt, only YOU can tell what's in your budget and desire and what isn't.

For me, I think you made the right choice. I consider essential: AC & ABS. I think the Limited Slip Diff for $195 is a bargain.

As far as stereo goes, all levels have an AUX plug for IPOD or XM Roady or etc. Personally, I'm addicted to XM, so I would get the Monsoon 7 spkr with the upgraded radio with XM - but be cautioned that XM will drive an antenna (little black blob) on the decklid, you may not like what it looks like.

Also, one member that drove one said the stereo sounds great, but the subwoofer is behind the passenger seat and may cause vibrations in your passenger :lol:. Something to consider.

Car seems to look good in every color, except Pure (white). Personally, I hate white cars, but living in SE Michigan, I've actually seen one and was NOT impressed. I thought I saw one of the early "mule" cars that were running around two years ago, but realized that it must have been a plant-built car. But hey, to each his/her own...

I'd get the polished wheels, I'd shy away from chrome unless you have money to burn and REALLY want the bling factor.

I personally don't prefer to have the onstar, so I personally wouldn't order it (not into the monthly fee).

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Welcome Ray :)

Agree, LSD & ABS are good things. Polished wheels over chrome is my preference too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Onstar Info

Thank you all for welcoming me to the board. It is good to hear that the monsoon speaker system seems to be well worth it. Does anyone curently have Onstar or know anything about it that could give me a recommendation as to whether or not to include the service? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
mysterio98 said:
Thank you all for welcoming me to the board. It is good to hear that the monsoon speaker system seems to be well worth it. Does anyone curently have Onstar or know anything about it that could give me a recommendation as to whether or not to include the service? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I have Onstar in my Trailblazer, but it was included. I never use the darn thing and i don't plan on extending my service once my 1 year free is up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
wheels

mceb said:
Polished wheels over chrome is my preference too.
I ordered the standard wheels. Are these the ones that are in most of the Solstice Pics and has anyone seen them up close?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thexrickx said:
I have Onstar in my Trailblazer, but it was included. I never use the darn thing and i don't plan on extending my service once my 1 year free is up.

OnStar is a very personal choice. It sometimes seems people either hate it or love it.

IMHO I use mine since I am still under the first year free promo, but primarily to use the phone service as a backup to my cellular. It is defeatable as a theft deterant with a jammer if a professional steals your car. If you dont have or need a cell, or live in an area with poor cell coverage (ie very rural or remote), it might not be worthwhile to you. In large metro areas a cell is probably more cost effective for emergencies. One of the few things only it can do is remotely unlock you car if you lock the keys in and call the 800 number iwth you security code. It will call EMS if your airbags deploy in an accident, but again that value depends on whether you're in a single vehicle accident somewhere remote--may not be as much of an issue in a large metro area.

I dont think it's a bad system (ignoring the Big Brother debate in other threads here), it just is probably redundant for some people who have good cell and other backup systems. I havent used it on my wife's 2001 Suburban since we bought it cause she uses her cell for everything. I dont think I'll continue it after the free first year is up on my car.

Do a search and see what others say about it. There's no simple answer.

I'm not sure when it's going to available on regular production cars, but EOP cars wont have it initially.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
281 Posts
mysterio98 said:
...should I get the carpeted floor mats...
Might as well. If the car were a little more mature, and there was a established aftermarket, there'd might be something like Lloyd's heavy duty mats available, which blow away anything OEM. But the car's not old enough to have any aftermarket support, yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wheels, radio,and on star

Great to have you on board and hope you are as excited as the rest of us about our Solstice, I would get the polished wheels over the chrome. As for the radio I would go with the XM but I am not sold on the 7-speaker Monsoon system. I think there are a few better systems on the after market to put in if needed, I would also highly recommend the Limited Slip Rear Differential. It is well worth the money. As for colorI ordered a Mysterious as I like the way a black car shows and that will be what it will be doing most of it life with me, not a trailer queen but it wont see a drop of rain. I think color is what make you feel good when you see yourself in it. Hope you enjoy your Solstice and keep us posted. Glad your onboard :party:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Wheel Options

Just to make sure you are aware of the wheel choices.

There will actually be at total of three wheel choices. Painted Aluminum, Polished Aluminum and Chromed Aluminum. The Painted and Polished are available to be ordered now. The Chrome is currently not available for ordering, but should be available starting in September.

There have been many discussions on the forum about the various wheel choices. Also, if you hunt around the forum some, or even go to the pontiac.com website, you can see pictures of all three choices.

I myself have ordered the Polished Aluminum wheels, even though some people are of the opinion that they are harder to keep cleanm, more prone to pitting, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
sol4soul said:
I ordered the standard wheels. Are these the ones that are in most of the Solstice Pics and has anyone seen them up close?
We believe the standard (painted) wheels are not what's been seen in pics so far. It's the same spoke pattern but painted silver instead of polished alum as the finish. To my knowledge I don't think we have any pictures of the painted rims on a car?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Welcome Ray. I ordered mine in Deep with ABS, limited slip, the convenience package, carpeted mats, standard radio, AC, power package, premium package, and regular painted wheels. I will be using the original wheels for my winter snow tires and getting a set of aftermarket chrome wheels next spring. This should be an extremely fun late summer (I'm optomistic) of driving. Enjoy the Forum, there are a great bunch of folks here with lots of opinions and lots of great info. Besides that every once and awhile someone posts a very opinionated statement and the fun really begins. Don't be afraid to post, just do a search through the old threads first to see if your question may have already been addressed. Have fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Abs

it seems everyone likes ABS.

as far as I know, and this is about 4 year old information, Mercedes is the only company to have an ABS system that can stop a car faster than a professional driver using limit braking. And at the time I was reading about this, the ABS system was only offered on their top of the line cars.

With how inexpensive the solstice is, I dont think that their ABS system is going to be up to these standards. While I would recommend ABS to the average person, I would think that car enthusiasts whom like the feel of driving would prefer to go without since you would be able to stop the car faster and gives you more control of the brakes.

I was fortunate enough to have a brother that worked at a high performance driving school to teach me how to limit brake. It's a simple concept -find the point right before the tires lock up. I would think that local auto clubs would teach it in their track day driving schools. Otherwise, I would strongly recommend a high performance driving school (skip barber, link to driving school ). I think they might be a bit pricey, but it is something that you will take with you for the rest of your life -and it will be a blast while you are there. :)

I havent ordered my solstice yet, but I think I am going without the ABS (and then never letting the average person drive it).

-pete

·
Registered
381 Posts
Get the ABS. It's cheap at that price, and expensive to add later. Think of it like a house: it's cheap to insulate the garage when the house is being built, but to do it later you have to rip out the drywall, etc. (assuming you have finished walls in your garage.)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
pschaars951 said:
it seems everyone likes ABS.

as far as I know, and this is about 4 year old information, Mercedes is the only company to have an ABS system that can stop a car faster than a professional driver using limit braking. And at the time I was reading about this, the ABS system was only offered on their top of the line cars.

With how inexpensive the solstice is, I dont think that their ABS system is going to be up to these standards. While I would recommend ABS to the average person, I would think that car enthusiasts whom like the feel of driving would prefer to go without since you would be able to stop the car faster and gives you more control of the brakes.

I was fortunate enough to have a brother that worked at a high performance driving school to teach me how to limit brake. It's a simple concept -find the point right before the tires lock up. I would think that local auto clubs would teach it in their track day driving schools. Otherwise, I would strongly recommend a high performance driving school (skip barber, link to driving school ). I think they might be a bit pricey, but it is something that you will take with you for the rest of your life -and it will be a blast while you are there. :)

I havent ordered my solstice yet, but I think I am going without the ABS (and then never letting the average person drive it).

-pete
Maybe we should set up a competition at a Solstice meet in the future. I think with today's technology that you would be VERY challenged to outbrake ABS consistently for 10 stops in a row.

I've got a decent amount of experience in limit and trail braking, and I couldn't do it. I've also talked to test drivers that said they could outbrake the early-mid 90's systems, but not today's modern ABS, not consistently, for 10 stops in a row.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would be really interested in having that little competition... can you guys do it before I order mine?? :) My information about ABS is dated, I know it is after '99, but that is still six year ago. I wonder how well the advanced ABS has filtered down from the top of the line vehicles to the ones today. I think I will do some research on it and post some of the articles I find.

-pete

p.s. I am a total slacker, so it may be a few days...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
You might be able to stop quicker manually than with ABS with a lot of practice. That said, where ABS shines is when you're in a sudden stop situation, and one wheel hits a little gravel, or you're on wet roads, or you're on ice...

If you live up North, you just about HAVE to have it. Here in the South, it isn't such a big deal, but I consider it like insurance.... if I don't get it, I'll wish I did.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts