Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a new driver side inner fender. Should I buy one from GM or can I get one to match from an aftermarket vendor?
I found out the hard way that when using a trouble light not to let it come in contact with liner as you will get a melted mess if you are not paying attention! The prices seem to be all over the place so I didn't know if for the correct fit and texture I need to go with GM. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I made the mistake of buying one from one of those auto stores that advertise on the auto enthusiast channels on the advise of another owner all I can say was it was cheap sh*t ! I sent it back as soon as I took it out of the box . I have since replaced both my liners with genuine GM products that I purchased from a dealer and paid $75.00 a piece with shipping . They are still available just have to search around for them . they make 2 sets one for a Base and one for a GXP the numbers are : Base right 25914763/ left 25914764 GXP right 25914761 /left 25914762 There is a factory service bulletin # 08-08-63-002 that calls for replacing the metal fasteners with push pins #11569768 which are commonly called christmas trees these are available at any well stocked auto parts store for a lot less then the dealer I got mine at Auto Zone for about 3 bucks a package they are made by Dorman Products .

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Order them from the dealer, and request they have special handling. I have had two sets come in through the dealer, the first one was really scratched up. The second, no where near as bad, but not perfect.

I also tried using the GM Christmas trees, but they do not seem to fit as well. Gaps and things that I did not like. Went back to the screw type after a couple of drives.

If you can deal with shinier inner fenders the aftermarket stuff is okay, a lot a cheaper, and seem to come in less scratched up. I have them on my Green Redline and they look fine. Stock on the Solstice and the Yellow Redline. The stock ones are becoming harder to find in pristine condition it seemed to me.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
I bought a pair of Rock Auto replacement inners and they are very thin and shiny. Not the same quality of the GM parts. I did not buy them to install but to prototype inner fender covers.

Norm is also working on fiberglass inner fender covers. They will sit on top of the existing inner fenders to improve them cosmetically. I used a heat gun to remove deep scratches in my inner fenders and it works but it leaves the surface very shiny. I was going to experiment with adding texture but decided to go the way of the inner fender covers instead.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I bought a pair of Rock Auto replacement inners and they are very thin and shiny. Not the same quality of the GM parts. I did not buy them to install but to prototype inner fender covers. :agree:
Well Rob brought up Rock Auto and that's the liner I initially bought I'm very particular about my car I would not run these even if you gave them to me

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I'll go see my local GM dealer and see what they can do for me. I had read a few posts about some issues with scratches and other issues shipped through UPS or FEDEX. My passenger side liner looks very good so was hoping to buy just the one. Guess I'll have to wait and see after I get one (?) and compare the two. If need be I'll buy the other to make it match. Any advice with getting the old liner removed and the new installed?

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
It's pretty straight forward needless to say removing the wheel makes it much easier .I found a product Wizard's Black Renew that really cleans up the liners if you have the dreaded scratches and most do I used it to restore the dash on the Chevelle and it literally looks new .It's a cream that I apply and let it sit for a while then rub off any excess it gives the liner a nice shiny look ,is not greasy and removes a lot of those fine scratches that seem to come with these liners . Just to add the bolts holding the liner on are 10mm.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
If you guys are replacing stock fender liners, keep me in mind to buy your old ones. For the race car, I don't need a showpiece. But tend to trash them and am using the cheap replacements since I go through them... :)

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got new fender liner from my local GM dealer Friday. I was surprised that the liner didn't come in a box, instead it was bare liner with a sticker on it. Some scuffs and scratches but all in all pretty fair shape for the way it was shipped! Took me about an hour tonight as I was trying to pay attention to the removal so install would be easier. Everything went back together with no problems. Short a couple of push pins but I'll stop and get them tomorrow after work. I will try and find that Wizard's Black Renew, StingYa, and give a good rub down on the scuffs and scratches. Overall a pretty easy DIY! Thanks to all for suggestions and advice. You guy's are the "Wizards of Sols"!!!

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Go on their website and they list the stores that carry in your area I got mine from a local auto paint supply O'Reilly auto parts also carries it .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts