Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These new photoshop renderings of using the Solstice archtecture for a C1 rebody have started to appear on a couple of car blog websites.

abimelecdesign (Instagram)
This idea has been on my head for some time and I was finally able to put it together, a C1 Corvette-bodied Pontiac Solstice.

The Corvette C1 is a pretty car with not-so-great underpinnings, so the styling has been subject of a few retro body kits for modern cars, more specifically for the Corvette C5. I’ve always thought the proportions of the modern ‘Vettes just didn’t work with the styling of the old ones, but there’s another GM Sports car that I believe fits the bill perfect: The Pontiac Solstice!

Turns out the wheelbase is really similar, and the body of the Corvette just kinda falls into place over it. The dash-to-axle ratio is shorter in the ‘Vette bodied Solstice, and the rear overhang is slightly shorter as well, but the whole car keeps the main proportions of the original intact. Also, with Solstice GXP underpinnings, you get a 260hp turbo 4 cyl with a manual transmission; definitely more spice than the old Blue Flame straight six in the old one. Would you do that with a Solstice? And yeah, LS swap is also a possibility too I guess 🤣

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Sky
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Sky

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Dave Kindig of Kindig It Design has built a carbon fiber Corvette C1 which had its debut at SEMA this year he is planning to build I believe at least 6 with 2 that he had at the show a white one and a silver one .At 300 grand it's not cheap but it's a totally new car and if you have ever seen any of his work it's first class .

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
"i" do not like the looks of 53, 54, 55; "i" would not buy one even if it was affordable

Bill

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,560 Posts
Im not that fond of those years either. they look too much like a buickford.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,830 Posts
I am all for anything to get back at the brass at GM for hobbling the Pontiac brand in a constant and near religious deference to "the Corvette is the top line car we have" for it's entire existence.
Even if it is just ego. And I bet this will tweak some noses at GM. The amount of creativity squashing based exclusively on internal power play politics has always rubbed me the wrong way and is in fact pretty much an analogy for everything that has been and continues to be wrong thinking at GM. On the rare occasion they manage to get out of their own way, they have managed near greatness...

It's yet another reason why i love this little car so much. Pontiac finally got one on the board and it's existence belies the company it came from. Hard to figure how GM lost Franz to Tesla? Nope.
(OK the Fiero is debatable as included in getting one on the board - i certainley dont think the Solstice would have been allowed to exist without the established precendence of the Fiero)

PS> Computer graphics are getting pretty damn good these days :)

PPS> Missed opportunity to go with the Sky dash which i would think is closer in look to the original...?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Talking about putting other car bodies on Pontiacs - does anyone remember the Fiero Mera?

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Reactions: jk2007 and HHGadget

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Or the Zimmer Quicksilver , a rebodied Fiero ,which was mentioned in an article in this months Hemings Classic Car by Pat Foster

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Not a rebody but the Solbra Wade Linger's take on a Cobra /Solstice ,this was an original design by Danny Whitfield which he called the Diamondback . I had the pleasure of talking to Mr.Whitfield some years back and he thought that the Solstice was one of the best designed cars to come out of the GM stable .

·
Registered
2008 Solstice, 2.4L 5 Speed, Dark Gray with a good looking dude behind the wheel. (My Son)
225 Posts
Doesn't do a thing for me but, to each their own.

I've been through the Fiero/Rebody thing. A friend of mine and I built several Pantera (fiberglass) bodies. It was fun while it lasted but way more work than it's worth IMHO.

Rams

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
232 Posts
I am all for anything to get back at the brass at GM for hobbling the Pontiac brand in a constant and near religious deference to "the Corvette is the top line car we have" for it's entire existence.
Even if it is just ego. And I bet this will tweak some noses at GM....
With respect in that no one can truly know what someone we don't personally know thinks, I doubt anyone will lose any sleep over this, or many other resto-mods or re-bodies of anything. GM execs made their money, made cars they were proud of if only for selling thousands of them and turning a profit, whether the car was good or not. People making 1-off builds in fact are probably seen as cool, ambitious, and flattering to the original car by those same execs. Who really gets put-off by someone building a custom car? Why would anyone wish some kind of 'mental revenge' via custom car? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've posted this before but I think this is a beautiful Solstice rebody (one of one), and unlike the photoshopped 53 Corvette above, this is a real car. A 62-64 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso replica built on a Solstice chassis. The builder says he created a brand new way of creating fiberglass molds, but has never revealed how he accomplished it. It's been done for a few years now but he's never posted updates about it to his YT channel. He even manage to make the side windows function.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

A real 250 Lusso for comparison, and the average price $1,587,000 per Classic.com.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,830 Posts
Why would anyone wish some kind of 'mental revenge' via custom car? 🤷‍♂️
I do. Petty as my stated reasons may be.
Nor do I have delusions that it will matter a whit or ever affect anyone at GM.

I will continue to joust GM as my windmill!

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
I like the effort but the windshield needs to be changed too. It just looks OFF to me with the Sol giant windshield stuck on top of the Vette clean lines.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I've posted this before but I think this is a beautiful Solstice rebody (one of one), and unlike the photoshopped 53 Corvette above, this is a real car. A 62-64 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso replica built on a Solstice chassis. The builder says he created a brand new way of creating fiberglass molds, but has never revealed how he accomplished it. It's been done for a few years now but he's never posted updates about it to his YT channel. He even manage to make the side windows function.
View attachment 117100
Huge amount of work and I agree the guy pulled it off - the result does indeed look very good.

Closest I have come is to rebody one of my old MGs. Side by side shot of stock and my resulting car (mine is on the left and now has a 3.4 GM V6 in it - I also own one just like the one on the right but in red).

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I'm with Rob on this one the windshield looks out of proportion and the wheels look like the ones Detroit Steel Wheel Co. makes for rat rods .

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
the windshield rake is the achilles heel of all the 'modernized' C1's built on later bodies. all C1's through 62 used the same windshield.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Bill

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
What year is the bottom picture? C3?

The red car I posted above uses a C2 windshield

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Ah - if you don't get the rake angle of the new windscreen right it is never going to look proper, is it?

I bought an MGA ti restore way back when and it had curved chrome strips screwed to the side of the car. It was a PITA to remove it and fill all the holes (the doors are aluminum), and I tossed the chrome in the garbage. It was only later that I realized it had a pretty respectable value as it was off a later C1 Corvette. :oops:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts