Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm...perhaps a 3 course dinner....GM Shrimp in Jack Daniels mustard glaze, Pontiac baked potatoes, and for dessert Solstice Chocolate Souffle. Now all we need is a custom shaped cooler accessory for the trunk to keep the wine chilled.

From Publishers Weekly
Feeling a mite peckish on those long road trips? Pack along this humorous cookbook and whip up Cajun-style shrimp in your car or recreational vehicle. All you need are shrimp, pork fat, "whatever 'Cajun' seasonings you've seen advertised," a set of wheels and someplace to go. Cook on a medium-hot part of the engine for about 55 miles. If that's too much work, pick up several stuffed peppers (preferably from a backwater North Jersey Italian deli), wrap them in foil and pop under the hood. Maynard, a photographer, and Scheller, a travel writer, are as adept at roasting trendy cookery as they are at warming pastrami sandwiches while they drive an auto rally. They teach drivers to view their vehicles in a new way, locating cooking surfaces via the "burn your finger" method of temperature verification. They may even change the way people select new cars: the Chevrolet Celebrity GL offers six servings, while the Camry has only three but sports a bun warmer, a feature seldom mentioned in Toyota ads. The authors sober up to serve a clear warning: carelessness under the hood can be dangerous to car and driver. Illustrations not seen by PW. Author tour.
Copyright 1989 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Book Description
How many miles does it take to braise a fish fillet? Should you use your exhaust manifold or your valve cover for a pork tenderloin? Were Jaguars really designed with veal scallopini in mind?
In the new revised and expanded Manifold Destiny, Chris Maynard and Bill Scheller, two experienced rally drivers--and cooks--answer these and any other questions you've got about cooking under the hood. After all, why drive to a diner when you can turn your Chevy into one, especially when you can make a better meal right on top of your engine? With a little bit of ingenuity--and a whole lot of aluminum foil--you can whip up dishes like Cutlass Cod Supreme, Cruise-Control Pork Tenderloin, Nifty NAFTA Nachos, Donner Pass Red Flannel Hash, and Fupped Duck Catera.
Witty, preposterous, and great highway fun, the more than forty recipes in this cult classic are road-tested and taste-bud-approved. It's a must for anyone hitting the road with an empty stomach and a full tank of gas.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679723374/002-5549609-3528812?v=glance

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I was in Chicago I would buy my Coneys downtown and put them under the hood on the manifold. This way by the time I got home on the west side about an hour later, they were still warm. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I guess I have warmed up/defrosted food on top of my 21" monitor at work before. That sucker used to get pretty hot! It's just with the motor oil, dirt, and everything else under the hood, I think I'll pass on this suggestion.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
It's really funny that you posted this because sometime last week I turned on the TV and flipped it to Speed and there was a segment on Motor Week on that book. The guy put some stuff under his hood and drove it to a park, got out, put everything on the picnic table, and had lunch. :) ...Hyundai Halibut I think he had.

·
Registered
193 Posts
SOL_in_CT said:
Well, I guess I have warmed up/defrosted food on top of my 21" monitor at work before. That sucker used to get pretty hot! It's just with the motor oil, dirt, and everything else under the hood, I think I'll pass on this suggestion.
I'd imagine if you wrap everything in aluminum foil it would be ok.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
ojohnson said:
I'd imagine if you wrap everything in aluminum foil it would be ok.
A protable BBQ is $50.

I don't see the point of all this :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SlipSlider said:
A protable BBQ is $50.

I don't see the point of all this :)
OK, you pack the portable bbq in the trunk and I'll pack my picnic backpack and chilled wine cooler there. While you're eating your hot dogs....I'll be savoring a Bob Lutz orange marmelade & Grand Marnier glazed salmon with a side of french cut green beans in a teryaki sesame seed sauce and warmed sour dough bread.

Cooking Distance: 100 miles

Look on your face when I pull up...and pop the hood....priceless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts