Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard rumors that the Solstice might be released in April of 2005. Anyone, else heard this? I hope its true, because I can't think of anything better than driving around in a bran new, 5 speed, convertible, Solstice. :jester :thumbs

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yes there are rumors flying around about spring production startup...nothing confirmed by GM yet but hopefully in a few weeks they'll release something.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, we've seen reports online ranging from April as the earliest all the way to September which the woman at Orlando Auto Show told me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
While I would love to see the solstice in the local dealers in april I sort of doubt that they will be there. Everything that I have read on the internet points assembly startup in april or there abouts and availability after that. Personally, I have my doubts that GM, or any other car manufacturer for that matter, could start producing a brand new defect free car in volume the first day the assembly line is turned on. My guess is that GM will start the line in april and work out the bugs in the line with volume production starting in may and possible shipments starting in june. I must admit though that this is pure speculation on my behalf, but I would not be surprised is the solstice was not put on sale june 22 to coincide with the summer solstice. I just think given the time frame that has been rumored, GM's marketing department will use the date to launch the solstice. But, again I must warn this is pure speculation from someone who has absolutely no insider knowledge. So take what i have said with a grain of salt for all i know it could be released in october.

·
Registered
7 Posts
that sounds like a great marketing ploy, I'd definently be happy if the car got to the dealers in June, but the earlier the better, as long as everything works right.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
We don’t really know when GM will ramp up and begin producing pre-production cars. Some sources have indicated pre-production models will begin in February, VIP cars by April, and regular production by May. Conversely, I have also seen some reports of people who have seen Solstices on the road around the plant in Deleware. I wonder if these could already be some early pre-production cars. GM did end L series production early to get a head start on re-tooling the factory.

I think answers await us at the NAIAS. Hopefully they firm up their introduction timeframe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Brian said:
Personally, I have my doubts that GM, or any other car manufacturer for that matter, could start producing a brand new defect free car in volume the first day the assembly line is turned on. My guess is that GM will start the line in april and work out the bugs in the line with volume production starting in may and possible shipments starting in june.

I just think given the time frame that has been rumored, GM's marketing department will use the date to launch the solstice.
Reason would dictate that GM would want to introduce a convertible for the Summer.

BTW, no one just "turns on" an assembly line and starts building cars at full rate. There is always an acceleration period that varies in length based on how new the car/line is. All cars are inspected multiple times before being shipped. The defect rate is one of the factors in the decision of when to "launch" a new car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
bigd said:
Reason would dictate that GM would want to introduce a convertible for the Summer.

BTW, no one just "turns on" an assembly line and starts building cars at full rate. There is always an acceleration period that varies in length based on how new the car/line is. All cars are inspected multiple times before being shipped. The defect rate is one of the factors in the decision of when to "launch" a new car.
Very correct! The only problem is we don’t have a firm date on when GM will start (or whether they already have started) building cars on the line. That is when they will start ramping up to regular production vehicles, and then ramping that up to full capacity (for the car).

One good thing about this car may be its low volume. They don’t have to squeeze out hundreds of thousands of cars in a year, so they should be able to build them at a slower pace over a longer timeframe to allow workers to learn the build process better, and catch more potential defects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts