• No, I did not seriously consider purchasing an MX5

Votes: 552 80.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some discussion here and on Miata.net recently about the sales figures of the MX5, the under invoice prices MX5's are being purchased at, and whether the Solstice is actually stealing sales from the MX5.

So I am curious how many of our Solstice owners did consider an MX5, or would have had their not been a Solstice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fformula88 said:
There has been some discussion here and on Miata.net recently about the sales figures of the MX5, the under invoice prices MX5's are being purchased at, and whether the Solstice is actually stealing sales from the MX5.

So I am curious how many of our Solstice owners did consider an MX5, or would have had their not been a Solstice.
I thinkthe MX-5 is a great car, but while it is probably a better car than the Solstice, I just fell in love with the styling of the Sol and bought it on looks alone.

Never considered the MX-5, although I did own a 1994 and loved it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Fformula88 said:

After ordering a Solstice, I thought I should at least look at the new MX5. I'm only 6' but after just sitting in the MX5 and a Sol, I knew I made the right decision.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mazda made in a foreign country,by foreign workers,for a US market.:devil:

Solstice made in America,by American workers,for US market.:yesnod:

The choice of buying a Mazda never entered my,buy AMERICAN MIND.:nono:

·
4,592 Posts
We considered the MX5 - all the way up till we could see one - the new gen does nothing for us.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
I was looking to buy the MX-5 when I same across the Solstice. After looking at both (online) and pricing both out, I went with my heart and ordered the Solstice. Having driven the Sol, I have NO REGRETS. Now, if my Envious little beauty would just get made and delivered! :yesnod: :willy: :lol:

--Chemist (Saw two (one Agressive, one Mysterious) at a local dealer's lot today. Did not stop to find out what the markup is. ;) )

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Never looked at the MX-5, looked at used Miata's but they didn't do it for me.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
SATCH said:

:agree: Besides, there is no comparison in styling, imho

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I was looking forward to seeing what the MX-5 looked like. Then I saw it. Even if the Solstice did not exist, I would not have purchased the new MX-5. It just doesn't look good to me.

I've always had a soft spot for Pontiac styling, but the horrific GM interiors have always kept me from actually buying one. Then along came Solstice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
SATCH said:

does that apply to every single item you purchase?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
SATCH said:

and 30% of Mazda owned by FORD..an original american icon....

we sat in a MX-5....then were lucky enough to have a F1K owner show us his..and lets us ride in it..confirmed our choice over the MX-5...but we did look at it..and consider it....ever for a short moment....:willy:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was going to look at a MX-5 or a used MR2 when I saw a picture of the Solstice. I went right down to my local dealer and put my money down.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
SATCH said:
...and consumers who buy these car with American dollars, that pay American dealerships, who pay Mazda of America, both off which, pay US taxes on all their profits from US sales. :patriot:

Sounds good to me. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ordered the solstice based on style. I never considered the MX-5, and the style of the Solstice more than makes up for the performance edge of the Z4, S2000, and Boxster.;) Guess I'm finally old enough to realize I don't really need a 300+hp car for daily cruising. :leaving:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
danlbrau said:
I thinkthe MX-5 is a great car, but while it is probably a better car than the Solstice, I just fell in love with the styling of the Sol and bought it on looks alone.

Never considered the MX-5, although I did own a 1994 and loved it.
I disagee that the mx5 is a better car its foreign car, would buy an american car anyday over a foreign car the mx5 is dated I never knew there was a mx5 till they tried to compare this american beauty I never acknowleged it:devil:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fformula88 said:

AMERICAN MADE IS THE ONLY WAY!!!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
It was on my agenda to drive one after testing(riding) the Sol, but that exciting "bar of soap" styling didn't quite cut it for me.

I could have gotten a good deal on a MX-5 through a friend of mine in K.C. that is the Gen Sales Mgr. (Near the hotel some people are staying for the KC Nat'l. Solstice gathering, wanna drive through there?;) )

1 - 20 of 207 Posts