Votes: 133 19.4%
  • No, I did not seriously consider purchasing an MX5

Votes: 552 80.6%

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I buy locally built cars. I have known at least one person that has contributed to building each of my last three new cars. I would much rather help them with their morgage or help pay for thier kids to get better schooling.

I am fed up of Canadians getting charged 20% more for vehicles.

I'm all for helping partners, but the only North American product that gets sold to Japan is Windows.

I probably would not fit in the MX5. It's lack of power would turn me off anyway.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
American only leaves you with a pretty small selection of interesting cars when most of the available sports cars are made elsewhere.

I don't care where it is made, I judge buying decisions on the merits of the cars themselves.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I'm sorry but the Miata is a very plain boring to look at car. Since I saw the Solstice on the Apprentice I fell in love with the styling of the car. I don't care if the Miata is quicer or faster. I could have bought a Mustang, Corvette or Viper if I wanted faster. In my opion the Solstice is one of the cars I've seen in a long time. Thank you

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
American only leaves you with a pretty small selection of interesting cars when most of the available sports cars are made elsewhere.

I don't care where it is made, I judge buying decisions on the merits of the cars themselves.
The domestic sports car market has been coming up short for some time. I can appreciate importing a toy.

But if there is a reasonably comparable domestic option for one's daily vehicle.....we should try to keep the money circulating around our home.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
The domestic sports car market has been coming up short for some time. I can appreciate importing a toy.

But if there is a reasonably comparable domestic option for one's daily vehicle.....we should try to keep the money circulating around our home.
I think that is fair (although it is your home, not mine). I have driven some sort of American car hauler for many years as a tow car.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I describe home as the place that one resides. If you don't support your own community, it won't be very nice living surrounded by a slum.
Fair enough. I was just pointing out that my home isn't your home, so I have no reason to have any attraction for, nor feel obliged to offer support to, American cars as I'm not American.

·
Banned
8,656 Posts
Fair enough. I was just pointing out that my home isn't your home, so I have no reason to have any attraction for, nor feel obliged to offer support to, American cars as I'm not American.
If given a choice, my order of preference is for items made in:
1) the USA
2) Canada
3) Mexico
last) Japan

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Actually, neither is Craig. He's got Ontario plates on his car. I think his point was that he buys cars that are made in plants in the Golden Horseshoe, as it helps the local economy, regardless of what brand they are (as I recall, there's a Toyota plant there, and I assume it would fall under the same theory).

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Actually, neither is Craig. He's got Ontario plates on his car. I think his point was that he buys cars that are made in plants in the Golden Horseshoe, as it helps the local economy, regardless of what brand they are (as I recall, there's a Toyota plant there, and I assume it would fall under the same theory).
Thanks, I didn't notice that.

While I understand people wanting to support local industry, I have zero loyalty to anything except quality. I don't care where it comes from, if it doesn't meet my requirements it isn't coming home with me.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My loyalty has been descibed as a fault of my character. So be it.

My explicit loyalty to GM product is because I have made my living of it for some time. That being said, I have been screwed over enough to turn me to an extreme hater forever. Not only proffesionally, but as a customer. Anyway, if there is such thing as Karma...

WS. I hate to call you out, but you have several cars with renowned questionable quality. Including your Kappa.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
WS. I hate to call you out, but you have several cars with renowned questionable quality. Including your Kappa.
No car is perfect. It only has to, on balance, please me. If it doesn't, I get rid of it. What anyone else thinks of them is totally irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Not even a slim consideration for any off shore junk the Solstice is IMO the hottest set of whels for long long time I own two only one factory issue diff seal no biggy FANTASTIC

·
Registered
29 Posts
My "issue choice" had more to do with a Corvette or a Solitce Coupe....so I bought both. After you test drive a Corvette, you just gotta have one! I went with a Soltice because after GM's first presentation of the Solstice at the car show, I couldn't believe GM built it. The thing about a Soltice is that you don't see a lot of them around and when I do.....it brings a smile or two. Rarity played a role for me and loyalty to an American sports car helped me in my choice. We can argue all we want about buying American, but under these extreme economic conditions, it feels nice to help out any product built between the Atlantic and Pacific.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
I never considered a MX5. I sat in one once and it felt "tinny" - like the cheap junk that was imported from Japan in the years after the war when they were trying to rebuild an industrial base. Poorly designed, cheap materials, just junky. So I never considered one.

I never considered a Corvette either. They cost too much to buy and too much to maintain and operate. I have driven several, starting with a '58 and never found them very appealing.

And since about the mid 60s they are pretty much just fugley. My personal opinion but they are characterless expensive plastic boxes with rounded corners and no real character or anything that makes them unique. Plus there are far too many of them around.

Actually, I did not even consider buying a roadster for myself until I was forced into picking up a little 2 seater for my wife as a suprize birthday present.

I did a lot of research and ended up with the Sky as the only car that combined reasonable cost (though I felt at the time it was a bit over priced), sound and safe design for a roadster. Plus it looks . . . well it looks great.

I brought it home, got the anticipated response from the wife and then started to drive it when we went on rides together. And I found that it drove very nicely. I came to enjoy the top down performance. And we both enjoyed the fact that it was so rare that when ever we took it out for a trip, we were stopped and asked about the car - every time. It still happens. :thumbs:

I pass tons of Miatta's and no one notices them anymore. They are generally in poor condition, fading paint, ripped tops, dirty and unloved looking. I have yet to pass a Kappa in similar condition.

I liked her Sky so much that I decided to buy myself a Kappa, but I preferred the lines of the Pontiac more, plus my first new car was a 68 Goat. So I found the cheapest GXP I could locate and flew down to New Mexico, picked it up and have been "improving" it ever since.:willy:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I considered an MX-5 when GM announced it was dropping the Pontiac line. At this point in my life, I don't want to drive anything other than a roadster, and the MX-5 is the only other one in my current price range.
At that time (last summer), I was leasing an '08 mysterious.
Now I own an '09 aggressive.
'Nuff said!
I hope to drive my Sol at least a few more years, then, if all goes according to plan (anything seldom does), my last new car will be a 'Vette.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Funny, I (mis)spent my youth in convertibles, but as I get older, and possibly as result of having done many cross country trips and maybe also becoming 'tonsorially challenged' , I have gone from convertibles to preferring coupes.

I can see why people would want their play toy for use on sunny days to be a convert, mind you, I just find that I prefer the comfort of a coupe - and IMHO they also often look better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Neighbor has the MX. He likes his MX. Funny, He keeps looking at my Sol like he's going to steal it. lol! I only have the base model... I have to give the MX it's props, my neighbor has hauled building materials in his MX. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Um... how should I put this. I actually HAVE an MX-5 in addition to my Solstice.

I do have one registered under my name, but it's actually a joint venture between me and several other friends. I guess that happens when you're the only one in the group with no speeding tickets. :lol:

161 - 180 of 207 Posts