1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I do not like the front end at all. :)

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Unique and definitely interesting. Not my personal taste but obviously well done!

·
Super Moderator
16,533 Posts

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
I also prefer the stock nose, but to each his own. I'm sure the owner of the car loves it.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Being from the Fiero world this is a been there done that type of thing for me. Initially, a lot of folks thought it was very cool that you could take a relatively inexpensive car and make it appear to be a replica of an expensive Italian car. However, the more it happened, the more and more it began to be criticized (not just by purist but by fans of the original car itself).

So what started to be embraced by the Fiero community instead was an an evolutionary modification type of approach, or if GM had kept the car what type of design and improvements would have been made if it had survived based on the vehicle initial styling ques. This approach was not only better accepted by the purist of the other expensive make who were offended people were attempting to pass off a cheap car as a more exotic make but also fans of the cars original aesthetic. Because what had been initially forgotten was there really was nothing wrong with it's original basic design. So by taking an evolutionary approach that allowed people to begin to understand if an organic type of design path would have been taken to enhanced and improve the vehicle's normal development process, then maybe the project would evolve where you didn't have to kill an entire program and waste millions of dollars to only turn around and spend millions more of dollars several years later to develop another program only to kill it and realize that everyone is noticing that the company is repeating the same pattern over and over again. :brentil:

The only reason to take a revolutionary approach to car design is when the original designers feel that a design has meet or exceeded its prime, and so a new clean sheet approach should be considered to start the process all over again as long as it included certain design elements that defined root elements of what made the car originally as popular as when it was first introduced. For example; two seats, rear engine and RWD, beautiful lines, compact dimensions, agility, performance, affordability, etc.

Hopefully, this is the path future modified Kappa's will take, more a path of what the original DNA could have developed into instead of attempting to replicate a car its original designers never intended it to be.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
OK, well I'll go against the grain here and say I LOVE the Solbra nose. Not so much the hood and fenders, but the grill effect I really like.

I have always thought they ruined the Solstice nose when they did the GXP design. The N/A has a classic curve, but the GXP just looks droopy from the side view. The Solbra nose perks it up a lot.

I would get this bumper for sure, if Wade wasn't asking so much for it.

À chacun son goût :)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Being from the Fiero world this is a been there done that type of thing for me. Initially, a lot of folks thought it was very cool that you could take a relatively inexpensive car and make it appear to be a replica of an expensive Italian car. However, the more it happened, the more and more it began to be criticized (not just by purist but by fans of the original car itself).

So what started to be embraced by the Fiero community instead was an an evolutionary modification type of approach, or if GM had kept the car what type of design and improvements would have been made if it had survived based on the based on the vehicle initial styling ques. This approach was not only better accepted by the purist of the other expensive make who were offended people were attempting to pass off a cheap car as a more exotic make but also fans of the cars original aesthetic. Because what had been initially forgotten was there really was nothing wrong with it's original basic design. So by taking an evolutionary approach that allowed people to begin to understand that had the car survived an organic type of design path would have developed in an effort to enhanced and improved on the original design had it survived.

The only reason to take a revolutionary approach to car design is when the original designers feel that a design has meet or exceeded its prime, and so a new clean sheet approach should be considered to start the process all over again as long as it included certain design elements that defined root elements of what made the car originally as popular as when it was first introduced. For example; two seats, rear engine and RWD, beautiful lines, compact dimensions, agility, performance, affordability, etc.

Hopefully, this is the path future modified Kappa's will take, more a path of what the original DNA could have developed into instead of attempting to replicate a car its original designers never intended it to be.
Great post!

·
Super Moderator
16,533 Posts
So, having lived through the 1970s . . . here would be two examples of conversions, one is inorganic and the other organic?

Attachments

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,527 Posts
So, having lived through the 1970s . . . here would be two examples of conversions, one is inorganic and the other organic?
One is a pretender, the other is not!

Where does this fit in the scheme of things? Donor is a Subaru WRX, but has a complete frame and body which doesn't emulate anything else out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Point being age has taught me that it's not exactly the greatest compliment to give your competition the chance to say; "You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." ;)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Point being age has taught me that it's not exactly the greatest feeling to give your competition the chance to say; "You know what they say, imitation is the greatest form of flattery." ;)
When I go to Cars and Coffee here in OKC, there are usually 5-6 Cobra fakes. Sure they get lots of attention, but in the end I know they are all just kit cars. My car is an original.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
One is a pretender, the other is not!

Where does this fit in the scheme of things? Donor is a Subaru WRX, but has a complete frame and body which doesn't emulate anything else out there.

I'd say that's a coach built. A time when just the mechanics of an production vehicle could be purchased and craftsman/artisans would design and hand build a body (out of aluminum or metal) and hand-built interior for either a series of cars or a one-off version for very wealthy individuals.

A modern one-off example being the Glickenhaus Pinanfarina Ferrari P4/5:

BTW, I would not be ashamed to admit I purchased or emulated another vehicle simply because I could not afford the genuine article, it’s when folks attempt to pass off something as authentic that’s disrespectful to the folks or builders of something that is original. Not to mention some cars have become so valuable that some owners no longer want to drive their originals so they buy a replica because their fear of damage
outweighs their fear of driving their original.

The popularity of cloning and replica's is a contributing reason car makers began copywriting their designs so they could take legal action against individuals/companies attempting to counterfeit their designs.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I really like the hood scoop on the Solbra!:thumbs: If I ever went for this mod this is the way I would like it. One scoop in the centre.... Nice and simple. I have removed my factory plastic engine / manifold cover and replaced with DDM one. My concern would be what would happen if water got in? Anyway, I am done moding for this year....:willy::willy::willy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts