Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has come to my attention that not everyone is fully educated on colors and names.

While they changed over the years and this is not an exhaustive list, it is the standard list for 2008 and covers earlier years I believe
2008 Pontiac Solstice Colors Exterior & Interior - Motor Trend Magazine

Silver = Cool
Gray= Sly
Red = Aggressive
Black = Mysterious
Green = Envious
Blue = Deep
Yellow = Mean
Orange = Brazen
White = Pure

Feel free to add more info or correct as you see fit.:thumbs::grouphug::thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
From our member GaryDN of KRONUS.

This is a listing of the Solstice and Sky colors and color names for all years, including the different blues which were called Deep and the different grays called Sly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Great post, DaOC! Good to have that data sheet in the files.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Lets see if I've got this. Someone at Pontiac thought it would be good to give colors names that would make it necessary to refer to a PDF file to determine what color they are?

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets see if I've got this. Someone at Pontiac thought it would be good to give colors names that would make it necessary to refer to a PDF file to determine what color they are?
Basically . .. yes

Attachments

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
No, as usual, when they launched the cars the marketing geeks took over and decided to use colours with TV connotations (a show called The Apprentice, apparently - I never saw it).

They are not only hard to remember, they will make as much sense in a few years as the Chrysler colours named from the long dead Laugh-In show do now (I once painted a Triumph in Plum Crazy...or was that Statutory Grape?)

The Canadian and Mexican market cars used more sensible names that actually tell you what colour you are talking about. I gave up on learning the US names long ago.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
No, as usual, when they launched the cars the marketing geeks took over and decided to use colors with TV connotations (a show called The Apprentice, apparently - I never saw it).

They are not only hard to remember, they will make as much sense in a few years as the Chrysler colours named from the long dead Laugh-In show do now (I once painted a Triumph in Plum Crazy...or was that Statutory Grape?)

The Canadian and Mexican market cars used more sensibel names that actually tell you what colopur you are talking about. I gave up on learning the US names long ago.
You both nailed it. :devil: :brentil: :leaving:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
No Envious Coupe in 2009 :brentil:
Envious was discontinued in October, 2008, if I remember correctly. It was mentioned in one of Small Dealers monthly updates. I'll see if I can find it.

If so, it was a good color for the start of the 2009 run, but was gone by the time the coupes started production.

Back in a bit :toetap:

EDIT: Couldn't find it.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Had interior trim colors we molded - I believe for GM - Neutral, Light Neutral, Medium Neutral and Medium Neutral II. They were all shades of tan. One was very close to a Ford color we molded. It was called "truffle".

Yeah, I'd pick my color of interior if it was named after a friggen mushroom.

:(

·
Registered
350 Posts
It has come to my attention that not everyone is fully educated on colors and names.

While they changed over the years and this is not an exhaustive list, it is the standard list for 2008 and covers earlier years I believe
2008 Pontiac Solstice Colors Exterior & Interior - Motor Trend Magazine

Silver = Cool
Gray= Sly
Red = Aggressive
Black = Mysterious
Green = Envious
Blue = Deep
Yellow = Mean
Orange = Brazen
White = Pure

Feel free to add more info or correct as you see fit.:thumbs::grouphug::thumbs:
in 09 they had another blue, like regular blue called Hydro or Fresh...deep is a dark blue.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Aggressive is the wrong adjective for Red, it;s know as; Fast, Fast as Hell, Damn Fast, or Faster than all colors combined!!! :devil:
Technically, when you combine all colors you get black don't you? Hence black would be fastest? :lol:

And if blue is "fresh", I shudder to think what color would be called "stale".

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
Envious was discontinued in October, 2008, if I remember correctly. It was mentioned in one of Small Dealers monthly updates. I'll see if I can find it.

If so, it was a good color for the start of the 2009 run, but was gone by the time the coupes started production.

Back in a bit :toetap:

EDIT: Couldn't find it.
EDIT2: Of course I'd find it if I search other forums:

Goodbye Forest Green... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

September 16, 2008 it became unavailable for order, due to early build-out, during MY2009.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because perception of color stems from the varying spectral sensitivity of different types of cone cells in the retina to different parts of the spectrum, colors may be defined and quantified by the degree to which they stimulate these cells. These physical or physiological quantifications of color, however, do not fully explain the psychophysical perception of color appearance.

The science of color is sometimes called chromatics, chromatography, colorimetry, or simply color science. It includes the perception of color by the human eye and brain, the origin of color in materials, color theory in art, and the physics of electromagnetic radiation in the visible range (that is, what we commonly refer to simply as light).

The color of an object depends on both the physics of the object in its environment and the characteristics of the perceiving eye and brain. Physically, objects can be said to have the color of the light leaving their surfaces, which normally depends on the spectrum of the incident illumination and the reflectance properties of the surface, as well as potentially on the angles of illumination and viewing.

Therefore, a white car is one that absorbs all light in the visible spectrum BUT for what we percieve as white.

Same with Black and red and . .. ROYGBIV

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Technically, when you combine all colors you get black don't you?
Therefore, a white car is one that absorbs all light in the visible spectrum BUT for what we percieve as white.
So, you have absorbtion (like photos and car colors) and transmission (like lighting and pictures on PC screens).

For car colors (i.e. absorbtion) something that absorbs all 'colors' of light equally, will be black. Something that reflects all equally, will be white. So no cigars above! :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts