Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching CSI: Miami on Tivo. The first Commercial of the New season was a Pontiac commercial showing a Solstice, G4, and the SUV,Torrent. The commercial was high energy. The Tagline was "Man, this getting good".

The Small print under the solstice said " Limited Availability Fall 2005" :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Eastocean said:
I was just watching CSI: Miami on Tivo. The first Commercial of the New season was a Pontiac commercial showing a Solstice, G4, and the SUV,Torrent. The commercial was high energy. The Tagline was "Man, this getting good".

The Small print under the solstice said " Limited Availability Fall 2005" :lol:
Yep, just saw that too. The Sol really outshines the other models in the spot.

The Mysterious looks soooo good.... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
I saw it too, and the first question that came to mind is "what are they thinking"??? It's beginning to look like production could fall far behind original estimates (and they haven't even started building the Sky yet), so they may not even be able to fill the orders they already have. Am I the only one that thinks getting a lot more people excited about this car could backfire when they find out they could have to wait for a year and a half or more? I understand what they're wanting this car to do for them, but I'm afraid what could be a really good thing for them could just as easily turn out to be really bad. Maybe my pessimistic side is coming through?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
GM, What Up?....

Editguy said:
I saw it too, and the first question that came to mind is "what are they thinking"??? It's beginning to look like production could fall far behind original estimates (and they haven't even started building the Sky yet), so they may not even be able to fill the orders they already have. Am I the only one that thinks getting a lot more people excited about this car could backfire when they find out they could have to wait for a year and a half or more? I understand what they're wanting this car to do for them, but I'm afraid what could be a really good thing for them could just as easily turn out to be really bad. Maybe my pessimistic side is coming through?
It's time for GM to consider a back-up plan. Time to set-up another plant to build these vehicles (Solstice, Sky, Solstice GXP, etc.) If not, this will turn into a NEGATIVE fiasco....... :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
ntouched said:
It's time for GM to consider a back-up plan. Time to set-up another plant to build these vehicles (Solstice, Sky, Solstice GXP, etc.) If not, this will turn into a NEGATIVE fiasco....... :willy:
That's what I think, cause if production figures of 56 cars a day is it, and with the Sky coming, after you pull out the holidays and breaks in production you could be looking at 12,000 cars for the entire MY. And that will leave a lot of unhappy people who are waiting (and I hope I'm not one), and a lot of unhappy newcomers. And that will reflect badly on Pontiac and defeat the whole purpose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
As cost-ineffective a third shift is...

...it may be neccessary to sell cars.



...and maybe they should be running a second shift now too... *rolls eyes*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Solstice Commerial

The wife and I saw the Pontiac commercial last night and had the recorder going. My wife said FORGET THE SHOW REWIND THE TAPE I WANT TO SEE MY SOLSTICE. So we watched the commercial about ten times with three or four of those times in slow motion(for a longer viewing time of the Solstice) WE both thought the commercial was great. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I got it on digital mpeg file, will post it tonight...it also came out during the TV show of Surface, before the CSI episode....

When the Solstice comes out at the end it says at the bottom:

Solstice: Fall 2005
Limited Availability

Will post it tonight....

TC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
It was on another thread about a week ago, there are 5 new spots on the Pontiac web page and if I'm not mistaken, there are 3 with the sol. Happy Viewing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
Editguy said:
That's what I think, cause if production figures of 56 cars a day is it, and with the Sky coming, after you pull out the holidays and breaks in production you could be looking at 12,000 cars for the entire MY. And that will leave a lot of unhappy people who are waiting (and I hope I'm not one), and a lot of unhappy newcomers. And that will reflect badly on Pontiac and defeat the whole purpose.
I was informed today by a good source (GM executive) that they are working two shift still.
 

·
Dragon Rider
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
Pontiac.com

SgtMilburn said:
It was on another thread about a week ago, there are 5 new spots on the Pontiac web page and if I'm not mistaken, there are 3 with the sol. Happy Viewing.

Here we go, Sol fanatics!

Pontiac Commercials

Click on the thumbnails and the commercial will load into a viewer on your browser. Loading time will vary by connection speed. With each video is a link to buy the featured song from Virgin Digital. As the tagline says, "Man, this is getting good!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
...it's in the plan

Editguy said:
I saw it too, and the first question that came to mind is "what are they thinking"??? It's beginning to look like production could fall far behind original estimates (and they haven't even started building the Sky yet), so they may not even be able to fill the orders they already have. Am I the only one that thinks getting a lot more people excited about this car could backfire when they find out they could have to wait for a year and a half or more? I understand what they're wanting this car to do for them, but I'm afraid what could be a really good thing for them could just as easily turn out to be really bad. Maybe my pessimistic side is coming through?
They don't care about selling lots of these cars. It's a halo car...a draw into the showrooms, that's all. So they have to start showing something so people will begin to say "Pontiac, oh thats were they build that sports car".
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Me too, and i picked up 2 auto mags at the grocery store with the Solstice on cover so i was physed anyway last night, makes me smile and i don't even have a VIN yet.....just an order number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
About the new commercial...

Editguy said:
I saw it too, and the first question that came to mind is "what are they thinking"???
It's actually not bad marketing. They aren't planning on selling a huge numbers of the Solstice. But making sure that everyone can see it does two things. 1) They keep those who want one and/or have ordered one interested and happy. 2) They get people who are interested in seeing them in the door the chance of selling the other cars in the lineup goes way up.

In reality, I'm glad they aren't producing 20,000 a year. I'd hate to see the solstice become like the New Beetle, PT Cruiser, Miata, ect.; cars we're all tired of seeing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
RichSol said:
They don't care about selling lots of these cars. It's a halo car...a draw into the showrooms, that's all. So they have to start showing something so people will begin to say "Pontiac, oh thats were they build that sports car".
:cool:
Exactly. As I've voiced time and time again what's the point of wasting money on a 3rd shift to just fill the initial backlog when once they've fullfilled these cars they have to then fire the 3rd shift because they're not needed to fill production needs. Production will eventually catch up to demand. Heck, they're still working on getting up to full line speed I believe too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a resident of Delaware, getting a second (we still haven't resolved if that exists) or third shift going isn't as easy as it seems. Just finding employees in Delaware is a very hard problem, as we have one of the lowest un-employment rates in the country. In my area, jobs go begging. To fill even part-time summer jobs , they pay well over minimum wage (usually $7+/hr), and these jobs are vacant. Over 2000 foreign students come from Europe to fill some of them. The State Department of Transportation has over an 11+% vacancy rate! You are lucky to get even 1 bid on a home construction project. And the list goes on.

So staffing extra shifts is a problem. If you found staff, training is not a short-term process. Then there are the extra taxes I'd have to pay if they closed some production, and went on unemployment.

I am sure the wizards in some GM financial planning headquarters have this all modeled out. They can plug the numbers into a computer program, and find out when it makes sense to add production staff. If they over-hired, the price of the car would surely go up..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
brentil said:
Exactly. As I've voiced time and time again what's the point of wasting money on a 3rd shift to just fill the initial backlog when once they've fullfilled these cars they have to then fire the 3rd shift because they're not needed to fill production needs. Production will eventually catch up to demand. Heck, they're still working on getting up to full line speed I believe too.
I wouldn't advocate a third shift either, and if Deluke is right and there is a second shift, then I retract everything I said :). But if there is only one shift, then I stand by what I said. Some people can wait indefinitely for the car. I can wait for over a year, until next July. Then I have to get a car because of personal circumstances, which will take me out of the market for the solstice. That would be very disappointing and it would probably leave me not buying a Pontiac. Is that the result they are looking for? I understand what the purpose of the car is, but if they can't fill orders for those who want them within a reasonable amount of time (I consider that around a year, which I don't think is unreasonable on my part), I think they will end up with very disgruntled people. And that would defeat the purpose of the car.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top