Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scroll to the bottom of the page at the link below. A post and picture that a guy took in Nov in NYC where he caught a film crew taking pics and video of a Solstice. Things are heating up a little...

Here's the pic and post in case it disappears...

DeLoReAnMcLaReN - 11/12/2004 9:33:42 AM
Title: Pontiac Solstice in NYC: Commercial
Comment: Hey I was driving by in NYC and I saw Pontiac and a whole film set taking pix and videos of the new Solstice I quickly (and i mean QUICKLY) took a picture of the Solstice. This was right past where 11th street goes into 12th, heading south. The quality of the pic is low because I was using my Nokia 6620, but you can tell what's going on. Here you go:
http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=2563

Attachments

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That’s a great find! I know they usually kick their commercials into gear a while before a car actually hits the streets. I wonder how long from filming it takes GM to air the commercials!

Anyone want to speculate that GM will show the first Solstice commercials during the Super Bowl? Automakers like to kick off their marketing campaigns during the Super Bowl, and that is in a little more than a month!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
i bet they will if they are smart, remember they hype for the first neon? they had all those commercials with the light, but didn't even let you know what it was, and then they unveiled it during the superbowl. great marketing, even i was excited to find out what the hell a neon was, and i was very young. hopefully it's a good commercial though, it would be sad to see it leave a less than lasting impression

·
Registered
284 Posts
They've done a good job marketing the G6 with doing all of the first commercials during the Olympics. I bet they will start marketing the Solstice during the Super Bowl. Let's just hope that they don't spend a lot of dough making a killer commercial that the FCC deems "innapropriate and detrimental" to kids like what happened with the new Vette.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
simmonsmb said:
They've done a good job marketing the G6 with doing all of the first commercials during the Olympics. I bet they will start marketing the Solstice during the Super Bowl. Let's just hope that they don't spend a lot of dough making a killer commercial that the FCC deems "innapropriate and detrimental" to kids like what happened with the new Vette.
What a fiasco that was! GM spent a fortune on that commercial, and was extremely proud of it. It was the centerpiece to their marketing campaign, and a few extremists managed to put enough pressure on them to kill it.

Really, was that commercial that bad? Do you think 12 year olds leapt for the keys to take mommies car around the block? I don’t think so!

If they were that upset about things that are a bad influence on children regarding vehicle operation, then they should really go after the Need for Speed video game series! I have a feeling Hot Pursuit, where the name of the game is to evade the cops in your Corvette, is worse than the daydreaming commercial!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Fformula88 said:
...Anyone want to speculate that GM will show the first Solstice commercials during the Super Bowl? Automakers like to kick off their marketing campaigns during the Super Bowl, and that is in a little more than a month!!
All I want is a commercial that is a Janet Jackson deal in reverse! The top up, no material malfunction, and no boob in the background telling us stuff about the car we have known here for months! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Commerical for the Solstice???

My opinion is that you aren't going to see any major advertising for the Solstice. Between the limited number production run that they have announced, and the relativley low-cost of each vehicle - it just doesn't make economic sense. And, it REALLY wouldn't make sense to buy expensive time during the Super Bowl or any other major event for this car.

Perhaps they're going to inject some footage of the car into other GM/Pontiac commericals, but I just can't see GM spending big bucks on advertising for this car alone.

Just my two cents...

Regardless, I'm eagerly awaiting this car!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Actually we keep hearing these Kappa cars being reffered to as Halo cars for the devisions they're going to be going into. If they get people into dealers to look at the Solstice or Sky, it doesn't matter if they get the Solstice or Sky because they'll more then likely end up looking at another Pontiac/Satun if the Kappa car doesn't fit their desires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just know that if I were a company with a set budget for advertising, I'd much rather spend that budget on a car that I'm going to sell hunderds of thousands of rather than <50,000.

I agree with you, though, that these vehicles will be the halo car for the respective divisions. And that's exactly why I think you'll see mention of and/or pictures of the Solstice in GM/Pontiac TV spots. I just can't imagine that we'll see dedicated TV spots for the Solstice. Case in point: I owned a 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder for a few years. I never saw a TV commerical dedicated to the vehicle. However, I saw many print advertisements, and it was frequently displayed at the end of other Toyota model commercials, along with the rest of their line.

Anyway, I guess we'll see! Happy New Years everyone... :party

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
liebowa said:
My opinion is that you aren't going to see any major advertising for the Solstice. Between the limited number production run that they have announced, and the relativley low-cost of each vehicle - it just doesn't make economic sense. And, it REALLY wouldn't make sense to buy expensive time during the Super Bowl or any other major event for this car.

Perhaps they're going to inject some footage of the car into other GM/Pontiac commericals, but I just can't see GM spending big bucks on advertising for this car alone.

Just my two cents...

Regardless, I'm eagerly awaiting this car!!!
Welcome to the forum!

I definately see your point, but it's just not how General Motors operates. They have gigantic advertising budgets for just about everything, and to a corporation of its size those budgets still do not seem that high.

The GTO was meant to be a halo car, and a low volume car, and they advertised the heck out of it. They beat us to death with the new Corvette, and they new they wcould sell everyone of them they put out of the factory door. Heck, they are still hitting us over the head with the Corvette in the Cobalt "Big Brother" spots (which are very cool IMO).

We all know about the Solstice, but they still will want to show off their new prize. This car and platform are the pet project of Bob Lutz, and are a source of great pride for GM. It has been designed and brought to production in record time for GM. It also incorporates a few new manufacturing processes to GM and the industry for a mass market car. Yeah, they will be showing this puppy off. Heck, how often does a company show a production version of a car 18 months before it hits dealers as GM has done with this car. Were going to see a lot of it this spring on TV and in mags!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sweet

Man they have a sweet car like that in such a nasty looking area. Looks like a gang is about to jump out and snake the tires or something hee hee. :D

·
4,592 Posts
maybe they are pairing it with a Grand Theft Auto video game commercial, can't get more gangster than that :lol

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pammysoltice said:
I think it's the building that makes the area look bad. hee hee hee hee :blush
I thought same thing...I was hoping they were shooting down the street not accross it :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
I personaly see nothing wrong with a Sol in an add during the Super Bowl. After all someone needs to keep the SD Charger Haters busy during the Charger game :party

HA HA, but any way they could give just a little shot of it during one of the GM all modle type add's. They could show just a few seconds of the Sol mixed in with other GM cars.

As far as spending to much money on a car that is cheap, you need to think about how cool the car is and how many people will make there way into the show rooms just to look at the little car? Remember ANYTHING that gets people into the show rooms is money well spent. And the Sol could be a great chance to boost the Pontiac brand name, much like Corvette. Most people cant buy a Vette but many people look at Chevy in high regard because of the Vette.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Good point Rick, as a halo car, you want the car to carry your brand name around to promote the image. Since Pontiac is supposed to be GM’s sporty car division, what better way than advertising sports cars to promote that image.

I think it is about time to bring back their “We’re Driving Excitement” ad campaign! It’s a better slogan than the current “Action” in my opinion, and much better than the recently departed “Fuel for the Soul.”

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Guess if you go back far enough "Pontiac Wide Track" would definitely apply to the Solstice. They could use the tiger climbing out from under the hood for the forced induction version, but they'd probably have to pull those spots do to PETA objections! :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
PETA..................I should not say anything. This seems like a "clean" forum. :nonod :cuss :nopity

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM is stirring the stink with their marketing again. They will be showing a series of 5 second Cadillac commercials during the NFL playoffs and at other times. The commercials show a “V” series Caddy accelerating to 60 MPH. That’s the whole commercial. Some of the safety advocates are already outraged that it promotes dangerous driving habits! Like they are the first commercial to show a fast car driving fast?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts