Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us have been waiting for this car for a long time. I remember the first time I saw the Solstice I was reading a Car and Driver magazine in a hotel room in Cleveland Ohio. I knew at that moment I would own this car. I am excited about the popularity but I am worried that everyone is going to own this car. I know that this would be good for GM. All of us have been following this car a long time and we all appreciate the uniqueness of the vehicle. I hope the uniqueness isnt taken away by all of the people jumping on the bandwagon especially after the "Apprentice".

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, you don't have to worry about everybody owning this car. It's not like the new Mustang where they're going to sell 100k+, they're only making around 20k per year so these are going to be very few and far between.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
With only 20K being produced the first year, and the number of dealers who will order them, I doubt I even pass another Sol on the road unless its at a planned meeting. Maybe in two or three years the number of Sols will get to the point where they are more common, but in western Pennsylvania, my Sol should be unique for quite a while.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The hydroformed sheet metal process that allows the Solsice to be produced at such a low cost can not be used for high volume production...

Kind of a forced way to limit the supply side of this new Hottie in the marketplace..

I think if GM can hold down the dealer gouging....(not that I think they can) they will have years of success with this new sportster.

I hope GM has a plan for performance engine aftermarket kits like superchargers...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Unique, maybe even scarce...

There's unique, then there's "we haven't seen one on the road" scarce.

Keep in mind that the second year of the Mustang in 1965, they sold 1/2 million of them, but they were still reasonably unique.

Currently, GM has planned for 20,000 units the first year with 2000 of those going to our good friends of the great white north (where their money is not only better looking than ours, it's got a picture of the Queen on it....).

At this point, some of us are hoping that GM does what they did for the GTO option for the Pontiac Tempest, where they expected a production of 5000, and sold 32,450 that first year and 75,352 in the second year, 1965. While that will make the car less scarce and help to keep the price gouging down, it doesn't mean you'll be rolling down the freeway with 2 Solstices in your rear view mirror either.

Bear in mind too, that unlike the Tempest GTO and Mustang (which are both 4 place vehicles), the Solstice is a 2 seat roadster, so the market demand for that may well weed out some folks who can't live without a back seat... ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I posted this before but this applies directly to me and you tampa so ill repost it.

Within a large city like tampa there are only 5 dealerships within reasonable driving ability if all 5 get a big allocation of 14-15 your only talking 75 cars running around. I for one will be surprised to see another one on the road besides me in my local area. The numbers just arent there.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think that's one of the reason's I like the Sol is the limited production so 200k of them aren't being built every year.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Miataman

You may pass me on the road. I'm not far away. If my golf club(s) will fit in the trunk, I may drive it to Old Stonewall.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since the Sol is meant to be a "Miata killer" I will make a quick comparison to the Miata. At least in my neck of the woods, you will see Miatas here and there, especially on a nice day. However, they are still unique enough that they will catch your eye. If the Sol succeeds in the low cost roadster market, it will split a limited number of buyers between the Sol and the Miata. Thus, making both a little more unique, and making our cars a little more special. :cool:

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
The hydroformed sheet metal process that allows the Solsice to be produced at such a low cost can not be used for high volume production...

Kind of a forced way to limit the supply side of this new Hottie in the marketplace..

I think if GM can hold down the dealer gouging....(not that I think they can) they will have years of success with this new sportster.

I hope GM has a plan for performance engine aftermarket kits like superchargers...

I need someone to explain this to me.... If hydroforming allows for inexpensive production..(i.e. low tooling costs...) then shouldn't it not cost too much to build more tooling.. and therefore make more parts and more cars?? No one said GM had to make the parts.. I live in Michigan and we're surrounded by companies that make sub assemblies for the auto guys.

·
5,600 Posts
I guess that puts me solidly in the Minority. I would rather see a shiny Sosltice on every block! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
package said:
I need someone to explain this to me.... If hydroforming allows for inexpensive production..(i.e. low tooling costs...) then shouldn't it not cost too much to build more tooling.. and therefore make more parts and more cars?? No one said GM had to make the parts.. I live in Michigan and we're surrounded by companies that make sub assemblies for the auto guys.
I'm not an expert but I've also heard it is a slow process plus bunch of stuff needs to be done by hand (mig welding) so I guess there's manpower costs too. There were some good threads on it inlcuding some links to engineering sites if you like to dig further. Here's one I found:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461&highlight=hydroforming

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
package said:
Hydroforming takes a big press to exert the pressures involved and it is a slower process resulting in a smoother finished product withoout the stress points of stamping. The hydro in hydroforming refers to water. As I understand it and of course I could be wrong water is froced into a bladder which expands under pressure and bends the metal against a form, similar to a wine press. Pressure is equalized over the full surface.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The compound curves involved in the solstice have in recent cars been accomplished with plastic panels as you will find on the front and back lower fascias of most cars. Or it is done with fibreglass as in the vette. Or handformed and hammered aluminum which is even slower. I applaud the use of steel in the sol as opposed to a full plastic front, it will keep its look a lot better.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
adamacious said:
i don't get it, if its slower (and hence more expensive i suppose), wouldn't it make more sense to shape the Solstice tradtitionally?
That would miss the point of the beautiful curves of the car. For a more angular, traditional look check out the Sky, but it too will use hydroforming.

They are also using Hydroforming for some of the structural components such as the center tunnel. It is also said to produce a car with fewer squeaks and rattles...

·
Registered
114 Posts
mazda sells 9500 Miata's per year (in recent years) - the solstice production numbers are just fine, the reason they aren't making 50K per year is because there are not enough buyers for them at that level of production.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Miata sightings

pontiacinblack said:
Since the Sol is meant to be a "Miata killer" I will make a quick comparison to the Miata. At least in my neck of the woods, you will see Miatas here and there, especially on a nice day. However, they are still unique enough that they will catch your eye. If the Sol succeeds in the low cost roadster market, it will split a limited number of buyers between the Sol and the Miata. Thus, making both a little more unique, and making our cars a little more special. :cool:
Perhaps it is because I work on a college campus, but I see 2-3 Miatas (Miatae?, Miati?, what is the plural of "Miata"? :lol: ) every day. Granted, it is the same 2-3. Seriously, there are quite a few in my city of 200,000, and that with only one Mazda dealer. Mazda has had a number of years to sell them. If my senior-level chem class all had their way, there would be at least three Solstices running around here next semester!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts