1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solstice - Esquire Cool

Esquire: Solstice one of the "coolest" cars of the next 12 months

The future is here

Esquire goes prophetic with "Spied! The Coolest Cars of the Next Twelve Months, and Beyond." The American cars that make the cut are the Ford Super Duty pickup, the Pontiac Solstice, the Dodge Charger and the Jeep Commander.

The magazine also says big trends for 2005 include better-smelling cars courtesy of improvements in plastics; wider use of light-emitting diode (LED) tail lights; and high-tech glass that's tougher, clearer and more water repellant for wet weather.
Article Link

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Most awesome. Looks like the Solstice is getting on everyones list without anyone ever even getting to sit in it, let alone drive it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The magazine also says big trends for 2005 include better-smelling cars courtesy of improvements in plastics;
OK, this is wwwaaayy off topic but I make the plastic (HDPE and PP) that GM eventually uses. We have to grade the pellets on, among other things, smell. We pass around a cup of pellets and give it a number from 1 to 10. Reminds me of the wife saying, "Does this milk smell right to you?" :D

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
DreamerDave said:
OK, this is wwwaaayy off topic but I make the plastic (HDPE and PP) that GM eventually uses. We have to grade the pellets on, among other things, smell. We pass around a cup of pellets and give it a number from 1 to 10. Reminds me of the wife saying, "Does this milk smell right to you?" :D
hehehe that's pretty hilarious. :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Now this is just my opinion, but they didn’t give the Sol much competition among the vehicles they named.

The Charger is not going to be cool. The big hemi engine is cool. Its brother the 300C is cool. The Charger is going to be ridiculed even more than the GTO for its lack of retro styling, plus it grew two more doors than a Charger should have. The Jeep Commander is going to essentially be a stretched Grand Cherokee. The SuperDuty F series is cool for truck people anyway.

I saw a program on the History channel some time ago, or maybe Discover, which was about the engineering effort spent on developing and maintaining that “new car smell.” It focused on companies trying to keep the smell similar to what it had been in the past with newer plastics and materials.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually went to Esquire mag online and there seemed to be a separate Solstice article (possibly different than this cool cars of next 12 months thing?). Online they only let you see the first few paragraphs (the rest of article is subscription). Maybe if someone has access or buys the paper copy and scans it in some time..

The Pontiac Solstice
by Cal Fussman | Feb 01 '05

Under the hood: 170 Horsepower/2.4 Liter/4 Cylinder At a height of 4'2" it's shorter than: Gary Coleman Arrives: June Gears: 5 Manual Price: $20,000 Average time it takes to develop a car from sketch to reality: 4 years Average time it takes to develop the Solstice: 2 years

"Would you like to wear these?"

"Oh, no," Bob tells the technician, waving off a pair of racing helmets. "We're not going to go that fast."

Bob is Bob Lutz. Vice-chairman of General Motors. He's a seventy-two-year-old, martini-loving, cigar-smoking Swiss-American maverick who pilots his own helicopter to ......

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Ahhh man I want to see more!!!
That's the most recent article we've seen printed, and it has Bob stories in it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
With just that snipet we have some news. It lists the arrival date in June! :cheers I have seen GM people say Summer, and we have the dealer people saying their information indicates June, but to my knowledge this is the first definitive reference to a June release in print.

Must see more of article!!! :banghead :brentil:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK here's a scan of the article. 2 pages, 1 text, 1 is just pictures. You have to click a a couple times to blow it up enough to read.

Maybe the GM PR machine is gearing up now for the launch...

Oh God he compared it to the BMW Z4 :eek

Good thing for you taller guys Lutz is 6'2"

Interesting comment about the engineers had to be creative to fit the top to the car instead of changing the car's design to fit the top.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
hehehehe that was a pretty funny read.

I think it's awesome Bob was the one driving the car with the reporter in the passenger seat. Says they hit ~100 MPH too on the track. I especially like the part about how he wont plet the financial people raise the price of the car since they're expecting to sell out this car.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
brentil said:
I especially like the part about how he wont let the financial people raise the price of the car since they're expecting to sell out this car.
That's one of my reason's for getting one in year 1. I think the 20k is a promise that will only hold for year 1. When you are the new guy on the block price is your biggest advantage but if this thing does well prices could rise. Not out of control high but could see them bumping it 2-3k more in year 2 (IMO).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Great find! Good read.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wonderfully funny! :glol Now i'm more excited than before. It sure seems to finally be on its way.

Thanks for the article...I needed that! :party

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Do you really think Lutz (err... Solsticeman) was driving? I guess the mentions in the article to "motorcycle" gauges and things sounded a bit too much like previous press tidbits we have seen.

No doubt it was a great article though and a good read. Glad to see some press coming on this one... well, actually, maybe I'm not. Might make it harder to get what I want when they are available!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Finally, a new article. Hopefully this is the beginning of more test drive articles. Still want to see the top in action and a test drive of a production model. The wait has been too long, but surely will be worth it! :party

·
Registered
397 Posts
"I hereby pronounce the ride and handling to be extremely sanitary"

I'm glad he fits, 6'2" is my height!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
:patriot Every bit of information makes me anticipate this car just that much more! Great read! It would have been better if the writer got to take a few laps behind the wheel, but it sounds like the car at least performs well enough to put a little fear into him! :glol Way to go Bob! We can't wait! :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fformula88 said:
It would have been better if the writer got to take a few laps behind the wheel
Something tells me he wasn't up for his own ride after a spin around the track with Bob :thumbs

1 - 20 of 64 Posts