1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solstice Coupe

Thecarconnection.com

Daily Edition: Jul. 22, 2005

Solstice Coupe Coming, Says Lutz

Now that General Motors has finally gotten its new Pontiac Solstice roadster into production, the automaker is looking at opportunities to follow up with other niche vehicles. "I'm sure, in a couple years, we'll do the Solstice Coupe," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz tells TheCarConnection.com. And since it would be a mechanically simpler vehicle than the new, $19,995 convertible, "We could possibly take another $1000 out of the cost."

The so-called Kappa architecture, developed specifically for the Solstice, is a major reason why GM is looking at other niche product options. But so is the new process being used to shape Solstice's curvaceous body. Instead of multiple steel die sets, the hydroformed sheetmetal process uses incredibly high water pressure and a single die to mold steel into complex shapes. Until now, noted Lutz, the Solstice hood could only have been made out of plastic, a material with its own unique problems.

What other Kappa products are on tap Lutz isn't saying, though he noted it "would take a substantial amount of engineering" to add a second row to the two-seat Kappa platform. That would be essential if GM were to approve a concept vehicle like Chevrolet's Nomad show car. Meanwhile, there are no current plans to produce a right-hand-drive version of Solstice or any other Kappa-based vehicle. In the rush to bring the Solstice to market, GM decided not to make the platform, in Lutz's words, "ambidextrous."

But despite such limitations, GM is optimistic about the Kappa platform's potential. The test comes with the launch of the Solstice roadster, and then the Saturn Sky convertible, which follows in early 2006. "If it works," said the automaker's product chief, "we'll do more." And based on early results, that seems likely. Pontiac already has taken about 9000 advance orders for Solstice, and is looking at ways it could boost production from about 1500 vehicles a month.-Paul A. Eisenstein

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I had friends saying:

You ordered that crappy plastic car?

That's when I had to explain to them that it is now possible to make cars with those curves out of metal.

Their next complaint was "Pontiac is crap." I decided to walk away.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Notice how it says no right-hand drive models!!!

It looks like the Euros are out of luck. That means no SKY/Vauxhall either, right???? Wow! Maybe they couldn't meet the pedestrian crash regs cheaply enough, or from a aesthetic standpoint...Or, maybe all the demand from NA has eaten up every ounce of production for the next few years.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
byebmw said:

It looks like the Euros are out of luck. That means no SKY/Vauxhall either, right???? Wow! Maybe they couldn't meet the pedestrian crash regs cheaply enough, or from a aesthetic standpoint...Or, maybe all the demand from NA has eaten up every ounce of production for the next few years.
No, there's left hookers sold in the UK. Just means no right hookers. There's still germany, france, spain, italy, the rest of Europe, and you just have to be more careful when driving on the wrong freakin' side...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I am still somewhat wary of the possibility that Lutz may have been misquoted, or something to that effect.

If someone said "I'm sure we'll do such and such... " in passing or if I were having a dinner conversation that is not a formal interview and they said that, I wouldn't call that "full confirmation of such a vehicle in the works."

"Oh, ya, I'm sure we'll get to hawaii in a couple of years," said to my spouse while we're driving across town to see friends does NOT mean I've booked the flights and we are going. It means I'm thinking about it, it is likely in my capability, if work doesn't get in the way and we both have enough common vacation, etc. etc. etc...

Likewise, I would interpret this as a desire for something, and a statment prolly made in passing when discussing many aspects of kappa or the Solstice, some quick checks of feasibility may have been done - but to read from this that the coupe will be a 2008 model year introduction is a bit premature.

I'm waiting for Bob to address this on a future fastlane blog myself. It's not like he's never been misquoted :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
More production???

" Pontiac already has taken about 9000 advance orders for Solstice, and is looking at ways it could boost production from about 1500 vehicles a month"

This is interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
stang said:
Great News! Too bad the Kappa needs that much work to become a 2+2, but at least we get a Solstice and a Solstice coupe. :yesnod:
wouldn't be the first 2 seat performance coupe. AMX/3, Cheetah, AC/Cobra Daytona, Mercedes Gullwing 300SL (no back seat, just matching luggage), not to forget when is the last time you saw a back seat in a 'vette coupe?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
solsticeman said:
I am still somewhat wary of the possibility that Lutz may have been misquoted, or something to that effect.

If someone said "I'm sure we'll do such and such... " in passing or if I were having a dinner conversation that is not a formal interview and they said that, I wouldn't call that "full confirmation of such a vehicle in the works."

"Oh, ya, I'm sure we'll get to hawaii in a couple of years," said to my spouse while we're driving across town to see friends does NOT mean I've booked the flights and we are going. It means I'm thinking about it, it is likely in my capability, if work doesn't get in the way and we both have enough common vacation, etc. etc. etc...

Likewise, I would interpret this as a desire for something, and a statment prolly made in passing when discussing many aspects of kappa or the Solstice, some quick checks of feasibility may have been done - but to read from this that the coupe will be a 2008 model year introduction is a bit premature.

I'm waiting for Bob to address this on a future fastlane blog myself. It's not like he's never been misquoted :D
I thought some more about this, and remembered the movie, IIRC, "My Cousin Vinnie": and some paraphrased dialog,

Prosecuting attorney says: "...and at that point, you shot the clerk."

Defendant (played by the guy from Karate Kid, I think): "I shot the clerk?!?!? " <flabbergasted tone> Turns to Judge: "I shot the clerk..." <sarcastic tone>

Later...

Judge: "Court recorder, please read back the transcription of the defendant's testimony..."

Court recorder, in a very steady tone of voice: "Defendant: I shot the clerk. I shot the clerk."

:glol: Hilarious movie.

He wasn't misquoted, but if the tone is not present, or the context is not present, it presents a completely different interpretation when literally read.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
byebmw said:
By the way, what happened to my post about this from TCC????? I posted it on the boards before Chino did, but mine somehow disappeared???!!!!
What up with that???
Actually you were an hour later (01:49 AM). The thread was pruned off as a dupe.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Solstice Coupe

I for one, would rather have a Solstice Coupe. I will take the Vert in the meantime!
How about a poll on this forum to see how many folks would rather have a Coupe, since the GM guys are lurking on this forum?
By the way, the cars looked great in Portland and please do not ask me about driving one......................

·
Registered
381 Posts
byebmw said:

It looks like the Euros are out of luck.
No, it means the Brits are out of luck. And the Aussies, and the Japanese, and anywhere else they drive on the "other" side of the road. Everywhere on continental Europe (except maybe Gilbraltar) they drive lefthand drive cars ( France, Germany, Spain, Italy, etc).

Sorry to be a stickler.....

·
Registered
705 Posts
Don't know about a coupe...I'd trade my Solstice 'vert for a coupe if it was done right. Some cars look better as a coupe, some don't. I'd have to see it, if it looked like the prototype I'll be back on this forum two years from now complaining about having to wait so long for my coupe!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Fortimir said:
I had friends saying:

You ordered that crappy plastic car?

That's when I had to explain to them that it is now possible to make cars with those curves out of metal.

Their next complaint was "Pontiac is crap." I decided to walk away.
Man, don't walk away------------punch em out.

Just kidding but I have owned many Pontiacs over the years, Grand Prix's and Firebirds and have never had a lemon in the bunch. The assembly plant where I used to work built GP's and Lemans'. Had the honor of producing GTO's and "da Judge"

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
jwally said:
Man, don't walk away------------punch em out.

Just kidding but I have owned many Pontiacs over the years, Grand Prix's and Firebirds and have never had a lemon in the bunch. The assembly plant where I used to work built GP's and Lemans'. Had the honor of producing GTO's and "da Judge"
My girlfriend is very scared for me that I will have a bad experience. She has always had bad experiences with Pontiacs. Her brothers both had Firebirds that apparently crapped out on them early and were always acting up... and she had a Grand Am that was totalled in an accident involving a lady who decided not to stop at a stop sign (I will strangle someone who does that to me in my Solstice). So HER peticular experience has not been a good one.

But my experience has. My dad has owned a few Pontiacs, and we rebuilt a '68 Firebird Convertible... and no problems anywhere.

I did drive a Grand Prix GTO (or whatever the performance Grand Prix is) that had a turn signal problem. The damn turn signal would work... and then just never come on again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.