Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, this is for the coupe that is rumored for 2007. I imagine the removable hardtop would look similar in style and size to the cloth top.

My vision of the coupe is that it is a hatchback. Has a V6. Has duel exhaust. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
:thumbs: Sweet! Love it! Would really love a V6, too, but unfortunately, it's just dreaming, I think. Sweet dreams I share, that's for sure.

Seems like a coupe would offer some much needed room for weekend bags, and honestly, I think I'd appreciate the hardtop with a sunroof more than a convertible.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always had a problem with the rear window design of Solstice Coupe concept. I felt it was competing with the body for attention. I believe that a roof should simply flow back into the body, especially on such a beautiful car like the Solstice.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The Batman said:
Seems like a coupe would offer some much needed room for weekend bags
:agree: completely and I also love the look of the coupe. I would absolutely be interested in buying a "coupe conversion" hardtop for my Sol so that I could take it on trips and such. It would obviously have to replace the trunk and may need some special seals where it meets the body, but I think it could work. I'm even interested in having one custom made at a hot-rod shop or something because I doubt one will be offered. But of course, it would need to be a fairly simple on-off procedure (less than an hour) so I could convert back to a ragtop when I prefer.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SlySol said:
:agree: completely and I also love the look of the coupe. I would absolutely be interested in buying a "coupe conversion" hardtop for my Sol so that I could take it on trips and such. It would obviously have to replace the trunk and may need some special seals where it meets the body, but I think it could work. I'm even interested in having one custom made at a hot-rod shop or something because I doubt one will be offered. But of course, it would need to be a fairly simple on-off procedure (less than an hour) so I could convert back to a ragtop when I prefer.
I never thought about that. A "coupe conversion" would be very interesting. :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Delnari said:
Is me, or does this look just like a Shelby Daytona Coupe?
WHAT?! Nothing like it!!!! THE COUPE was so much longer, hood especially. Windshield was raked further back. It was an AWESOME car, this is a great car, but could never compare, NEVER. BTW, got any new info on a production sky? i don't like it as much as a sol, but remember you do. Biggest thing i don't like is the area behind the headrest on the body is too pointy, looks like a triangle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
MO-KAN SHO said:
If the removeable hardtop looks anything like that, I'll have one. period.

i'm in :agree:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
SlySol said:
:agree: Without having a car in the garage to dream over and just going by the pictures we have, it seems to me replacing the rear deck with a coupe roof that fastens to the windshield and bolts to the deck hinges would be possible. Of course it'd have to have a hinged back glass and extra glass that extended back from the existing windows.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Of course it'd have to have a hinged back glass and extra glass that extended back from the existing windows.
Yep ... you'd need the rear glass on a hinge that would essentially give you a hatchback, but I was thinking the frame of the new top could just come right down to join the rear fender and right up to meet the side window. Of course, it would probably need some special seals where it joins the rear fender, but I think you could get by without the added expense of more side glass in the design of the top since it's such a small car. At any rate, I'd love to see Pontiac or an aftermarket manufacturer give it some serious thought. I think that kind of option would be a big hit.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
SlySol said:
Yep ... you'd need the rear glass on a hinge that would essentially give you a hatchback, but I was thinking the frame of the new top could just come right down to join the rear fender and right up to meet the side window. Of course, it would probably need some special seals where it joins the rear fender, but I think you could get by without the added expense of more side glass in the design of the top since it's such a small car. At any rate, I'd love to see Pontiac or an aftermarket manufacturer give it some serious thought. I think that kind of option would be a big hit.
I agree, I was thinking about doing a photoshop of what I think the conversion would look like, just I'm short on time right now, and being on this forum is bad enough. I believe a conversion is very doable. Only problem would be, I think it would end making the car even heavier than the rag top. :(

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Your right if you used fibre glass or metal and a glass hatch. But,if you had the bucks, there's always carbon fiber and Lexan. As you'd be removing the cloth, glass and metal folding top as well as replacing the rear deck with carbon fiber, you might end up with a net lose in weight. But these materials have cost, ease of construction and wear disadvantages. But for serious racing, this, as well as a carbon fiber hood, would be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Notchback hardtop

Why not have the removeable hard top mimic the soft top? The key will be what you fasten the top to. There appears to be a small strip behind the seat that is not part of the rear deck lid. Perhaps the top would seal against that and still allow the rear deck to open.. Now what you'd be able to store in there with the soft top inside......

I went through the same issues with the Capri. The rear seat had a pass through so that you could, say, transport a set of snow skis, but then the folded soft top blocked the pass through. The only solution was to take out the soft top for the winter. (Hard to store). I did come up with a better solution.... Use an SUV during the winter..

1 - 20 of 98 Posts